Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)

Bruce Drysdale Elementary 1

Posted January 31, 2016
This school is absolutely AWFUL. A "D" rating from the state. My oldest has had 5 teachers over the course of two semesters!! The turnover is ridiculous. No art program. No real communication from the teachers about your child's progress, even if there is an issue. If your children are gifted, then send them elsewhere. My other son tested a level ahead and was recommended for the AIG program, but due to terrible communication internally, can't even get evaluated. They will not challenge your children due to being understaffed and are unable to give any focus to an individual child unless that child is acting out and a "problem" child. The exposure that my kids have experienced is abhorrent- language, violence and sexual innuendo. I chose to move to this area due to it being 'a family friendly area' but if I knew how horrible this school was, I would've chosen a different area to live. As another has said, don't just walk away, RUN away!!

Posted June 15, 2015
It is an amazing school. My daughter is in the Spanish immersion program and loves it, and we are so impressed with what she has learned already in Kindergarten. The teachers are so caring and available to talk about any issue anytime. We feel so lucky to have Bruce Drysdale as our daughter's education.

Bruce Drysdale Elementary 1

Posted December 01, 2014
This school is a mess, teachers are over worked, and underpaid. It seems as this school is run by nothing but politics and scandal. The administration seems to have an agenda that does not correlate to student achievement. They seem to do things that are so ancient to the education sector. I am moving my child because of the leadership at this school, they only want to hear what they want not what I want as a parent. My voice is not heard at this school. I feel bad for the children at this school, parents keep them away.

Posted September 02, 2014
This is probably the most loving and friendly school in our county. The principal and staff are outstanding---so dedicated to each child and their education. I love that there are children from all backgrounds at Bruce Drysdale as it is preparing our children for a global world that is awaiting them in the future. It is located right across from Hendersonville High School which also has an excellent reputation. I would highly recommend this school to other parents who value the beauty of diversity and see the benefits of such an environment---and want to see their child loved and valued. Volunteers from the community are very involved and spend time with children who might need a little extra help with reading, math, etc.---many are retired teachers and professionals who have a wealth of knowledge. It is truly a community/neighborhood school at its best. I love this school!

Posted June 14, 2014
My daughter has attended 2 years at BDS and I am very happy with the school. She has been in K & 1 in the Spanish immersion program and has received a fantastic education. BDS has a caring staff and practices positive discipline principals. Principal Dr Smith is on top of every issue at the school. Although she has been aggressive and demanding in regards to staff, she has a dedicated enthusiastic staff and has raised the education levels at the school. I do not know why the Great Schools rating is so low, but I expect to see it rising quickly. The only gripe I and other parents have had is the long time on buses for less than 1 mile from school. Several use car pooling instead.

Posted January 03, 2014
My children, 3rd and 5th grade have gone to two other schools (in a different state) and both of those schools had higher "rankings" on this site. I LOVE this school. So do my children. I couldn't possibly hand pick better teachers for all three of my children, Mrs. Smith is everything I think a principal should be and more. Mrs. Whitaker made us feel welcome instantly, Mrs. Holt greeted my children individually on their first day and made her services available to us at any time. I thought the feel of a good caring school was lost in the hustle of raising test scores, but it is alive and well at BDS. So glad we are here.

Bruce Drysdale Elementary 4

Posted November 13, 2013
Bruce Drysdale has a tremendous staff. Each teacher goes far beyond what some other teachers would be willing to do. If a student is academically low, the staff spends that extra time to help that student in any way they can. If a student is on the higher end, the staff also makes sure they have activities and lessons that will challenge them. My youngest duaghter is about to finish 5th grade, and my older went through BDS as well. I wouldn't have had it any other way. If you have any questions about test scores, call the school and Mrs. Smith is always happy to address your concerns. Especially now - You should see the strides these kids have made. A lot of changes have been made over these past several years and the changes have proven to be effective.

Posted November 13, 2013
Bruce Drysdale is a wonderful place for children to learn. I have been a staff member at BDS for 7 years and I know I couldn't find a more dedicated staff. The teachers work hard to help their students, whether they are behind or ahead. We have great leaders and a whole other crew behind the scenes to help us analyze and create lesson plans to help every student achieve. Our door is always open to parents, students, and community members. You will be amazed at all the good things you see.

Posted August 11, 2013
I love this school, my child was previously at Hendersonville Elementary, so glad we switched. The principle is awesome and the teachers are wonderful.

Posted October 01, 2012
I am new to this school, but in the short time I have been here I have learned a great deal about what makes great learning. The teachers here are remarkably dedicated and spend hours before and after school working on ways to help all of their students learn. The administration provides support and feedback to make sure that strong teachers are made stronger. The hardwork of all Bruce Drysdale's staff is evident in the growth students have made and I expect us to see more of the same by the end of this year.

Bruce Drysdale Elementary
271 Bearcat Boulevard, Hendersonville, NC  28792
Last modified Bruce Drysdale Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bruce Drysdale Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top