Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My daughter is a kindergartener in the dual language program at BDS. She has had a terrific first year. She knew absolutely no Spanish at the beginning of the year. Now she can read and speak (authentically and fluently) in Spanish...at age 5! She is also reading exceptionally well in English. Her math skills are impressive. I have to give a huge shout out to her teachers, Mrs. Rosello and Mrs. Roscoe. We couldn't be more pleased. Our daughter has the sweetest classmates. The principal deeply cares about the school and the children. She believes in educating and loving the whole child. She values parents' thoughts and opinions, and she values her teachers. The PTO is awesome. So many dedicated families that truly value education and their children. They believe in BDS! "It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength." - Maya Angelou

This school is absolutely AWFUL. A "D" rating from the state. My oldest has had 5 teachers over the course of two semesters!! The turnover is ridiculous. No art program. No real communication from the teachers about your child's progress, even if there is an issue. If your children are gifted, then send them elsewhere. My other son tested a level ahead and was recommended for the AIG program, but due to terrible communication internally, can't even get evaluated. They will not challenge your children due to being understaffed and are unable to give any focus to an individual child unless that child is acting out and a "problem" child. The exposure that my kids have experienced is abhorrent- language, violence and sexual innuendo. I chose to move to this area due to it being 'a family friendly area' but if I knew how horrible this school was, I would've chosen a different area to live. As another has said, don't just walk away, RUN away!!

It is an amazing school. My daughter is in the Spanish immersion program and loves it, and we are so impressed with what she has learned already in Kindergarten. The teachers are so caring and available to talk about any issue anytime. We feel so lucky to have Bruce Drysdale as our daughter's education.

This school is a mess, teachers are over worked, and underpaid. It seems as this school is run by nothing but politics and scandal. The administration seems to have an agenda that does not correlate to student achievement. They seem to do things that are so ancient to the education sector. I am moving my child because of the leadership at this school, they only want to hear what they want not what I want as a parent. My voice is not heard at this school. I feel bad for the children at this school, parents keep them away.

This is probably the most loving and friendly school in our county. The principal and staff are outstanding---so dedicated to each child and their education. I love that there are children from all backgrounds at Bruce Drysdale as it is preparing our children for a global world that is awaiting them in the future. It is located right across from Hendersonville High School which also has an excellent reputation. I would highly recommend this school to other parents who value the beauty of diversity and see the benefits of such an environment---and want to see their child loved and valued. Volunteers from the community are very involved and spend time with children who might need a little extra help with reading, math, etc.---many are retired teachers and professionals who have a wealth of knowledge. It is truly a community/neighborhood school at its best. I love this school!

My daughter has attended 2 years at BDS and I am very happy with the school. She has been in K & 1 in the Spanish immersion program and has received a fantastic education. BDS has a caring staff and practices positive discipline principals. Principal Dr Smith is on top of every issue at the school. Although she has been aggressive and demanding in regards to staff, she has a dedicated enthusiastic staff and has raised the education levels at the school. I do not know why the Great Schools rating is so low, but I expect to see it rising quickly. The only gripe I and other parents have had is the long time on buses for less than 1 mile from school. Several use car pooling instead.

My children, 3rd and 5th grade have gone to two other schools (in a different state) and both of those schools had higher "rankings" on this site. I LOVE this school. So do my children. I couldn't possibly hand pick better teachers for all three of my children, Mrs. Smith is everything I think a principal should be and more. Mrs. Whitaker made us feel welcome instantly, Mrs. Holt greeted my children individually on their first day and made her services available to us at any time. I thought the feel of a good caring school was lost in the hustle of raising test scores, but it is alive and well at BDS. So glad we are here.

Bruce Drysdale has a tremendous staff. Each teacher goes far beyond what some other teachers would be willing to do. If a student is academically low, the staff spends that extra time to help that student in any way they can. If a student is on the higher end, the staff also makes sure they have activities and lessons that will challenge them. My youngest duaghter is about to finish 5th grade, and my older went through BDS as well. I wouldn't have had it any other way. If you have any questions about test scores, call the school and Mrs. Smith is always happy to address your concerns. Especially now - You should see the strides these kids have made. A lot of changes have been made over these past several years and the changes have proven to be effective.

Bruce Drysdale is a wonderful place for children to learn. I have been a staff member at BDS for 7 years and I know I couldn't find a more dedicated staff. The teachers work hard to help their students, whether they are behind or ahead. We have great leaders and a whole other crew behind the scenes to help us analyze and create lesson plans to help every student achieve. Our door is always open to parents, students, and community members. You will be amazed at all the good things you see.

I love this school, my child was previously at Hendersonville Elementary, so glad we switched. The principle is awesome and the teachers are wonderful.

Last modified Bruce Drysdale Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.