Bad
Good

I recently was there with my son and my nephew for bookfair.. I witnessed a teacher in the bus rider line in the face of a child with her finger pointing on his nose screaming!! I butted in and said if you can not handle kids then you do not need to be in a school.. teachers are suppose to make kids feel safe and make them want to come to school.. seems like they feel better when they have control over the kids and scare them.. my son is only in Kinder and asks me everyday if he can be a car rider so he don't have to ride the bus in the afternoon.. due to my work I cant but I wish I could after seeing her do that to a kid!... I reported her and the school and all I got back was it would be looked into.. I told my son and my nephew if a teacher ever does that to them .. to stand up tell the teacher they are NOT thier parents and they WILL NOT yell or scream or touch them.. and if they wanna try to scare someone , then try scaring their moms.. I HATE THIS SCHOOL>>> I really wish I could transfer my son somewhere else... most of the teachers there have no heart ... they are only there for the pay check.. they don't care about those kids.

My daughter has been at this school for two years and the staff really care about her and her progress. I notice other reviews are older maybe things have changed in the last few years. My daughter has autism and will go from Pre-K to Kindergarten next year and she loves this school.

I agree with the parent that just wrote the last review. I also am in my fourth year with this school and am not at all impressed, I have tried on numerous times to get my child out of this school only to be denied. could someone please tell me what i can do to get my child out of this school, I have tried going to the school board and filling out the request only to be turned down. The no child left behind policy only applies to certain people i believe. If someone has any information that could help me in this matter i would greatly appreciate it.

I feel that some of the teachers in this school really work hard for the children but sadly alot of them don't. I am going into my 4th year of experiance and am not pleased. The work is like others have stated, about a year behind other schools in the area. My son is not able to write his first and last name yet on his progress report it says he can... It just seems to me a case of knowing the child isn't ready but promoting them anyway. Things like that simply hurt the child, it doesn't help them.

My child enjoys this school. It is her first year there. She is reading, writing and learning 4 different languages. The teachers are will to go the extra mile to work with parents in helping their children succeed. Overall I have had a positive experience with this school.

I think Southwest tries to the best of their ability but my only problem is like the other person stated. They are behind in their academics the children are not being challenged enough to prepare them for EOG my child is still doing 1st grade work in the 2nd grade. I can understand refreshing their minds a little but after the first progress report I think we should be on stuff to prepare them for next year.

My child has been at this school from pre-k up to 1st grade and I am not impressed at all. I am looking to move currently to get in a better school district. The first problem I had was in pre-k. A doctor's note was completely ignored and my child's life was put at risk. I didn't have problems in grade K. The work my daughter was being given [in grade 1] was simlar to grade K from other schools in my area. I do not reccomend this school.

Last modified Southwest Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.