High Point Friends School

Private | PK-8 | 100 students

HPFS offeres advaceed math and science courses as well as experiential learning.

Living in High Point

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $114,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $660.

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

I like the school its a great place for education I have learned so much but the school needs to control bullying better

Posted May 29, 2013

(Continued Thoughts from earlier post...) Finally, I feel that I need to address an earlier posting which states that HPFS "...caters to families with the most financial resources...so certain children are treated more favorably than others." If this were indeed the case (a direct correlation between my income/assets and the treatment of my children), then my son and daughter would have been treated quite unfavorably at HPFS. On the contrary, they were finally given a chance to explore, lead, and develop their interests and skills at HPFS, whereas there were always challenges to these venues in their other schools. Thank you, HPFS staff and faculty, for being there for my children in the recent past, and for continuing to maintain that relationship, "as needed," with our family to this day!

Posted May 9, 2013

I cannot express how much this school, teachers and staff have cared for, nurtured & educated our children. They have also challenged, corrected and brought out the best in each of our children. The ability to focus and foster the strengths of each individual student is probably one of their greatest attributes. Something that most parents probably overlook, is a schools ability to help students take on greater responsibility and leadership rolls both in the classroom and the community. This is one area where HPFS excels! This is clearly demonstrated in the many student led programs and the success of recent graduates, moving into much larger high schools, that have become SGA leaders and involved in many aspects of their new schools. Educating children is more than just grades. It's helping them grow, expand their horizons and become confident in achieving their goals. Unequivocally, this is the best kept secret in education in High Point!

Posted March 31, 2013

I am so proud to call HPFS home for my child. It is comforting to know that every morning when I take my daughter to school, I can rest assured that she will be receiving the very best in academics, but more importantly, that she will be loved and cared for by her teachers in a safe and nurturing environment. I cannot say enough about the time and devotion the teachers at this school put into the children. My daughter has grown so much academically, spiritually, and morally. HPFS is successful in creating an environment that focuses on developing her as a whole child by inspiring creativity, compassion, social skills, self-knowledge and providing top-notch academics through life experiences. It is with pleasure that we are sending our second child to Kindergarten next year at HPFS to embark on this wonderful journey. We are so happy that we chose High Point Friends School for our children's educational career.

Posted March 12, 2013

Bullying does indeed exist at this school and it starts with the teachers. Using frequent humiliation and sometimes verbal and emotional abuse, teachers pick on some of the children. They encourage the other children to do so as well. This school caters to those families with the most financial resources to give so certain children are treated more favorably than others and bullying by some children is tolerated. Academically, the teachers of this school provide a mediocre education. A lot of the learning of new concepts occurs after school through homework assignments and with a great deal of parental assistance. Parents are also frequently encouraged to hire tutors rather than have their children ask their teachers for help. Just because you are paying for education, does not mean you are receiving the best education. This school does not provide a kind and nurturing environment for all children. Try to look below the surface and think long and hard before sending your children to this school.

Posted June 20, 2012

This school tolerates bullying and refuses to acknowledge that it happens in this school. Several teachers are bullies and allow students to be bullies. I do not recommend this school to anyone and wish I had not sent my child there.

Posted June 7, 2012

As a recent graduate of High Point Friends, I have received so many opportunities here that no other school can offer. I have attended HPFS since I was two years old. Coming here to HPFS has made me a much better person in many different ways. I have participated in various sports. We have 5 sports total: Soccer, Flag Football, Volleyball, Basketball and, Cross Country. All of the sports are co-ed, which allow mutual respect that the athletes offer to one another. In addition to sports, academic classes allow students and teachers to have an incredible relationship that no other school can offer. I feel like I have had the best preparation for high school both socially and academically.

Posted June 7, 2012

I am a recent graduate of High Point Friends School. Our class had 10 students, and 60% of us had been together since kindergarten or before. We are all great friends and we are very close to each other. Three of my best friends and I are going to Westchester next year, and I am not looking forward to leaving. I have had many great experiences at High Point Friends School that have prepared me for High School including the exciting overnight field trips.This school has helped me overcome many things. An example of which is when I first came to this school, I didn't like to go out of my comfort zone or try new things. However, when I was in second grade, we got a new head of school, and he helped me get over this fear, and he is now a very good friend of mine. The teachers and staff at this school are very kind and compasionate, and I could not have asked for anyone better. My favorite teacher is the Social Studies teacher/athletic director, and my fellow classmates and I have become very close to him. I have had a great time at this school and I will miss it very much. THANK YOU HIGH POINT FRIENDS SCHOOL!!!

Posted June 7, 2012

This school is amazing on every level. From the head of school to the staff, students and families. Our community is tight-knit and focused on helping students thrive emotionally, spiritually, educationally and physically. Individual care is given to each student and we strive to build strong lasting relationships. Many former students return to serve in multiple capacities. They do this voluntarily because they love the school. Our athletics program has produced League Champions in Volleyball and Basketball and we offer Flag Football, Soccer, and Cross Country as well. In addition to great athletics, we have mini-electives ranging from digital photography to rock climbing. There are options for every interest. Our school also has state of the art facilities with a new expansion coming soon. We have SmartBoards in our classrooms 3rd-8th grade and the media center. We have a beautiful and spacious gymnasium with a fullcourt basketball/vollyball court and a rock climbing wall. Our computerlab is equipped with Dell computers loaded with Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop CS5. The parents call this school High Point's "best kept secret!"
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 17, 2012

I have been at High Point Friends all my life and I am graduating this year as an eighth grader. I have been to no other school. I have built so many great relationships with other classmates as well as teachers and the faculty. I feel as if I am a part of a family here. It is such a caring envirnoment to learn in. I have become more responsible and caring through my experience at High Point Friends School.

Posted May 17, 2012

I am an 8th grader attending HPFS. I have been a part of this school for the past nine years, and every year I have felt like I have been welcomed by the students and the staff. I would say that this school is the best choice for me and is a great place for someone who would like to shine brighter then ever before. During my time here I have been enriched with a positive attitude and have learned the basic quaker principles. This school definitely lives up to its motto(a classic education in a caring community). Thank you HPFS!

Posted May 15, 2012

This is a very positive, calm, and spiritual environment for a young child. Our child is doing very well in the elementary school. She is happy and does not like to "miss" school. The small class sizes are a big plus and the "hands on learning" really does make a difference. We really like the moderate approach to spirituality that the school takes... I was not sure when we started the school how that would work & after being there for a year I can say that I am so happy with it. The leadership is wonderful and everyone makes us feel part of a family. I am so glad we chose to send our child here. If you are considering a place that will constantly challenge your child, yet help them in areas where they struggle then this is the place to go!

Posted May 4, 2012

Our son has been attending HPFS since kindergarten and he is ready to graduate from the eighth grade. This school has been through some turbulent times, but the principal and the teachers have righted this ship and she is sailing swiftly. HPFS has lived out the core values of the Quaker tradition and while some of the people in the community are a tad more conservative than we are theologically, (we lean to the left) the community is strong and sure and overcomes any misgivings we might have had on that front. The teachers and administrators are extremely dedicated and kind. They go WAY beyond the call of duty and they have worked in such an intentional to help my son make his transition to High School. They know our son and love him. They are encouraging both on the field and court and in the classroom. We will greatly miss these friends who truly live out the meaning of friendship. Bravo HPFS!

Posted November 10, 2011

We have two children at High Point Friends Middle School and they could not be happier (and so are we). The teachers are highly competent, caring, and engaged, the classrooms are small and well appointed (including technology), the school itself is beautiful, and administration is completely student/kid-centered. They provide an academically sound, holistic experience for the students, emphasizing academic achievement, inclusion, diversity, community, and mutual respect. They run a viable athletics program and create several other fun and rewarding extracurricular activities for the children throughout the year. Our girls love this school - we just wish it went through high school. And the price for this top-notch private education? Incredibly reasonable.

Posted November 10, 2011

Absolutely love this school. We've experienced the PreSchool and the Lower School so far, and it's hands down worth every penny (and a million more). The teachers and staff are completely caring, dedicated and attentive - and really work with each child on their own level and adapt to each child's needs. I am amazed at how much my children (two polar opposites in personality and academically) have both flourished in the school. The academics are exceptional. Also the overall sense of community at the school - in it's staff, teachers, students and familes - are just as exceptional. There exists a depth of caring, responsibility and kindness that I don't think you see in most other schools.

Posted April 14, 2011

As a former parent of a child in High Point Friends, I feel that the school needs to develop tolerance. I feel like they are a bit rigid and there is no room for a child that is exceptional. New Garden Friends is much better.

Posted November 19, 2010

My son is in 8th grade and this is his fifth year at HPFS. The school gives a wonderful christian education. The classes are small and the teachers are great and truly care about every child. Our current director has been at HPFS for several years now and strives for excellence in academics and athletics. The coursework is challenging and the kids can participate in several sports throughout the year. We've got a great Parent-Teacher group and lots of activities throughout the year that promote friendships between the school's families. We call HPFS High Point's best-kept secret!

Posted May 11, 2010

This school continues to position itself as an institution that cultivates confidence, a sense of community, and depth of character in its students. I have watched this school develop over the past 12 years from a preschool and kindergarten into a Lower and Middle School with bright students and a caring group of people. The strength of this school is in the established Friends Meeting that hosts the school on its grounds and the support it gets from parents, faculty, and members of the community.

Posted May 4, 2010

The teachers are kind and very generous with their time. Each student is treated fairly and respectfully. The education is well-rounded and includes not only academic subjects but social responsibility topics.

Posted March 25, 2010

It's losing all of its good teachers..the foundation is flying out from under it.
—Submitted by a student

Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • David Girardi
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Religious
  • Science
  • Service learning
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Science club
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Westchester Country Day School