Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Disagree

Seemed like most of the work was home given. My son was at school from 8:20-3:15 and then had 5 hours of homework.

My family and I moved from New York to the Southwest school district. After having contact with the school and with the football coach we thought it would be a good academic and athletic fit for our son. Our son being a B student who ranked in the top 10 running backs in New York State his Sophomore year we thought he would be a great addition to the school. Although the academics were fine the athletics were very poorly run. With that being said I'm not sure where we as a family went wrong but our son when it came to football he was shunned, sidelined and was only good enough for practices. As a parent it was hard to see a young man who played both sides of the ball for 7 years and was begged by his prior coach in any not to leave, to be standing on the sideline like a first year player. We could sense his frustration, knowing that he was a good player and he was not being allowed to play the sport he loved. The coach I feel talked a good game when we spoke, but I believe he had no intention of playing him. So if you are a parent of a child in sports relocating to this area you may want to carefully consider your alternatives. Signed a family of 3 upset by our school decision.

Strong in all major offerings. Honors and AP classes. Strong leadership. Good selection of electives. Strong test scores. High overall attendance. Great graduation rate. Awards of excellence won by both faculty and students.

I am a student who has attended Southwest for this past year. What feelings I have for this school are ambivalent. There are many great things to this school and is balanced out with the bad. The clubs, athletics, and academics are outstanding. One minus to academics is that they don't have a very large selection of courses you can take relating to technology. Example: Computer Science, Computer Programming, etc. Onto cons: as the topic of teachers rise up, there are many teachers who care for their students' grades and academic goals pertaining to learning, and not only fair, average grades. Mostly these teachers consist of those who teach core classes. However, there are teachers who prepare the BARE minimum for their classes, handing out packets every day, and leaving an hour's worth of class time for students to kill by playing games or watching TV shows in class. There are teachers in Southwest who, instead of covering the topic of the day, decide to flip their iPhone on and text their children, or even check social media, and laugh at whatever they are viewing. This, they perform in front of the class, while going over a presentation slide. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the only reason I have for having such a dislike for the school; such as the students. In certain classes where teachers have no control over their students, especially classes with average academic goals, these students will talk over and back to the teacher, argue with one another, scream at opponents because they lost a game, and waste class time and learning time. Partly due to this, I have decided to leave Southwest next year for a different school, and I do not plan on returning. To tie this all up, the more rigorous the course, the better the teacher, and the much better selection of students who worry about academics.

Most of the teachers at this school care for their students. They really do want the students to succeed. About five years ago, the school was redistricted. A lot of students began attending the school from poorer neighborhoods. Test scores and school climate took a hit. But the school has rebounded. Now, those same struggling students have graduated and moved on to college. There is a renewed sense of school spirit. Students, from all walks of life, excel at Southwest. It is a Distinguished School, thanks to continually improving test scores.

Well Me Being A Student Can Definitely Reassure You That Southwest GUILFORD Highschool Does Not Play Rap Over The Intercom lol ...Maybe Another Southwest You Were Thinking Of? But Southwest Is An Incredible School, The Teachers Are Concerned And Willing To Have One on One Relationships With The Students. Their Main Focus Is To See Each Student Succeed And Graduate. I Know This For A Fact. The Councelors For Each Graduating Class Are Willing To Set Up Your Classes To Follow Your Career Path, To Boost Your GPA, Or To Simply Let You Have The Highschool Experience With Cool Teachers. I Love Southwest And It Prepostrous To Come Here And To See Such Reviews... The Only Thing I Can Personally Say Is Bad Is The Fact That They Dont Let Students Without Lunch Money Charge Their Meals And Pay The Next Day Anymore. I Hate To Kids Not Eating In Such A Well Paid School.

I would have to strongly dissagree. I have had a learning disability since I was 7 or so caused by a head injury so I guess you could consider me a "special kid" which I add is a very ignorant way to describe a child. Ian. A senior at southwest and I love it. I have passed classes that I never thought. I would pass the teachers have bent over backwards for me and advocated for me in ways other schools could never do. Southwest has given me my confidence as a student. Southwest is very concerned in seeing their students succeed.

They play rap over the intercom.The teachers are not concerned about education. We moved to this area because we thought it would give us a safe school. They ship kids from all over town and from the worst neighborhoods.

i took my kids out of this school. they spent millions on this school ..but you couldn't tell it by walking in the lifeskill class. that's the class my daughter was in until i took her out.{ it's the class for special students.}

As a former student, i am honest when i say that there area select few teachers worthy of being at universites rather then southwest. The enviorment is rather neutral although there tend to be fights, which bring the school down. The re-districting of guilford county tried to bring averages up more around the county, but doing that dropped very good averages. The ones who bring down the average are the ones who do not care about school, and cause havoc. All in all i say this school is not the best.

Last modified Southwest Guilford High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.