Highlands School 5

Posted July 20, 2013
i love this school, the teachers are helpful and supportive. its a small school, but it is good because one gets more attencion. I will miss it. I made friends that are a lifetime with you no matter hor far one is from another.

Posted August 23, 2012
I went to Highlands School ,I moved here from FLA. I love the small school system. The teacher and students were bonded along with students with other students.I have children in Highlands School I would not put them in any other school. I know most if not all the teachers.As for the principals anytime I have EVER had a problem they have taken action to fix it.

Posted May 18, 2012
I have been going to Highlands School ever since I was in Kintergarden. And from my experiences in this school I can say that it has been great for me. Everyone one, including the facaulty, staff and students are so warm and welcoming. And work one on one with you. Sure we've had some unstable teachers (mainly in middle school) does NOT mean our school is bad. Honestly its not just our school that have their flaws. It's every other school. Not everything is perfect. And I'm actually speaking for a lot of other people that go here. Highlands is such a great school and we're honestly like a family here.

Highlands School 1

Posted August 27, 2010
The principal, assistant principal, and guidance counselor aren't exactly warm and welcoming. Some teachers genuinely care about the students others seem to just need the job. The guidance counselor can be rude, aggressive, and lacks many necessary qualities of the job (he doesn't know what he's doing at ALL). Students casually bring up far too many drug and alcohol references even in classes. Staff barely updates students and parents on information that both should know (i.e. important dates, funds, pictures, etc..). Some teachers don't or visibly don;t want to teach their subjects so they hand students textbooks and leave them to it themselves. I feel religion is occasionally thrust into my child's face at least once a week. Students say prejudice comments towards different groups of race or religion in a joking manner. I feel the school tries to mask imperfections instead of fix them.-Not a good environment!

Posted March 04, 2009
I have attented Highlands School since 6th grade, so that makes it four years now. Highlands School is not the biggest school, we don't have a lot of people etc.. but i'm completely happy with it. It's an enviroment where students and teachers are bonded by more than just the attendance sheet. Yes, we recieve a lot of criticism about our principals not doing enough, but that doesn't take away from our education. Most teachers here are very strong-willed, they help motivate us all to do better. I'm sure there are 'Negativity teachers,' everywhere and that's just how it is. You can not characterize a school because the principals and a few teachers have a bad reputation. I've been here for four years and i've had my ups and my downs and i continue to see Highlands School as a welcoming, safe enviroment.

Posted January 07, 2009
Teachers work together and focus on the achievement of all students. Grades are earned at the school, not given away. The principal at the school treats the faculty in a fair and professional manner, and does his job just fine. All members of the administration are visible in the hallways and in the classroom. So the principal doesn't live in Highlands, and doesn't shop at Bryson's, many of us on the faculty don't live here either.

Posted January 05, 2009
The previous two reviews (10/08, 1/09) that have been written sould more like an assault against the principal, not a review of the Highlands School. Highlands School offers small class sizes in a positive environment, with minor discipline problems. Highlands School is not a perfect place, but great parents AND teachers work together to offer a great education to every student in the system. We are fortunate to live in an area where there are a variety of options for parents and parents that are not pleased with Highlands School should make the choice that is in the best interest of their child.

Posted January 02, 2009
Highlands School is a K-12 school that needs serious help. The administration (esp the Principal) act like they are just doing a 'job' - they aren't concerned about the students - they just want the paycheck. Principals in other schools are seen out in the community, active in the community - not traveling back to their home state (Ga) practically every weekend. Time for change or the students will continue to transfer to other schools in the are just like mine did and will continue to do.

Highlands School 3

Posted October 10, 2008
You parents either send your kids to a different Highlands School or Brigman wrote these reviews. Administration has been consistently weak. Jetter is neither part of the community nor is he motivated to be an active leader for the school. Middle School has not been a strength, which is why we continue to lose our kids to Summit, homeschooling and RGNS. The relationship teachers build (with students they like) is the best quality of the school, but the school is not aggressive in raising the bar in education. The school lacks any real program for exceptional children, whether gifted or slow. There is no ESL and the school relies on IF C and Literacy Council to take care of this sector. Highlands and Nantahala remain the red-headed step children of the county. The school could be great, but lacks leadership, progressive teachers and adequate funding to provide quality education.

Highlands School 5

Posted September 23, 2008
When I enter the Highlands School, I immediately notice how happy the students are. The teachers without exception are engaged and connected with students in learning activities. In addition, I frequently see the administrators in hallways and classrooms engaged with students. I can't imagine a better place for studentsf.

Highlands School
545 Pierson Drive, Highlands, NC  28741
Last modified Highlands School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highlands School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.