Bad
Good

Highlands School 5

Posted October 09, 2014
I have almost been here all my life and I have to say that this is probably the best school that your kids should go to the the teachers are the most intelligent no matter the grade. They will work with you until the very end. The environment is great for kids to learn in. I graduate this year and I wouldn't be here with out them. Thank you highlands school I loved every moment that shared with the teachers and my fellow class mates and the staff too, you're great I will miss you. David tanner Stephens

Highlands School 5

Posted July 20, 2013
i love this school, the teachers are helpful and supportive. its a small school, but it is good because one gets more attencion. I will miss it. I made friends that are a lifetime with you no matter hor far one is from another.

Posted August 23, 2012
I went to Highlands School ,I moved here from FLA. I love the small school system. The teacher and students were bonded along with students with other students.I have children in Highlands School I would not put them in any other school. I know most if not all the teachers.As for the principals anytime I have EVER had a problem they have taken action to fix it.

Posted May 18, 2012
I have been going to Highlands School ever since I was in Kintergarden. And from my experiences in this school I can say that it has been great for me. Everyone one, including the facaulty, staff and students are so warm and welcoming. And work one on one with you. Sure we've had some unstable teachers (mainly in middle school) does NOT mean our school is bad. Honestly its not just our school that have their flaws. It's every other school. Not everything is perfect. And I'm actually speaking for a lot of other people that go here. Highlands is such a great school and we're honestly like a family here.

Highlands School 3

Posted August 25, 2011
I went to Highlands my entire high school "career " and it used to be GREAT. I never had the current administration but I have siblings in the school. I can tell you that the principal, vp and guidance counselor are HORRIBLE. The principal is the first to believe the students are bad kids, he refuses to participate in school related activities that he doesn't HAVE to be at and he acts as though he never has time for issues he deems unworthy of his time. I will say that the students are becoming more main stream in pop culture and sometimes I feel as though some teachers are not encouraging in the appropriate ways. Also, the TEACHERS have a huge problem with TEXTING during class. I've had some kids show me pictures of the teachers texting instead of teaching. The community is the greatest asset of this school, that's about it.

Highlands School 1

Posted August 27, 2010
The principal, assistant principal, and guidance counselor aren't exactly warm and welcoming. Some teachers genuinely care about the students others seem to just need the job. The guidance counselor can be rude, aggressive, and lacks many necessary qualities of the job (he doesn't know what he's doing at ALL). Students casually bring up far too many drug and alcohol references even in classes. Staff barely updates students and parents on information that both should know (i.e. important dates, funds, pictures, etc..). Some teachers don't or visibly don;t want to teach their subjects so they hand students textbooks and leave them to it themselves. I feel religion is occasionally thrust into my child's face at least once a week. Students say prejudice comments towards different groups of race or religion in a joking manner. I feel the school tries to mask imperfections instead of fix them.-Not a good environment!

Posted March 04, 2009
I have attented Highlands School since 6th grade, so that makes it four years now. Highlands School is not the biggest school, we don't have a lot of people etc.. but i'm completely happy with it. It's an enviroment where students and teachers are bonded by more than just the attendance sheet. Yes, we recieve a lot of criticism about our principals not doing enough, but that doesn't take away from our education. Most teachers here are very strong-willed, they help motivate us all to do better. I'm sure there are 'Negativity teachers,' everywhere and that's just how it is. You can not characterize a school because the principals and a few teachers have a bad reputation. I've been here for four years and i've had my ups and my downs and i continue to see Highlands School as a welcoming, safe enviroment.

Posted January 07, 2009
Teachers work together and focus on the achievement of all students. Grades are earned at the school, not given away. The principal at the school treats the faculty in a fair and professional manner, and does his job just fine. All members of the administration are visible in the hallways and in the classroom. So the principal doesn't live in Highlands, and doesn't shop at Bryson's, many of us on the faculty don't live here either.

Posted January 05, 2009
The previous two reviews (10/08, 1/09) that have been written sould more like an assault against the principal, not a review of the Highlands School. Highlands School offers small class sizes in a positive environment, with minor discipline problems. Highlands School is not a perfect place, but great parents AND teachers work together to offer a great education to every student in the system. We are fortunate to live in an area where there are a variety of options for parents and parents that are not pleased with Highlands School should make the choice that is in the best interest of their child.

Posted January 02, 2009
Highlands School is a K-12 school that needs serious help. The administration (esp the Principal) act like they are just doing a 'job' - they aren't concerned about the students - they just want the paycheck. Principals in other schools are seen out in the community, active in the community - not traveling back to their home state (Ga) practically every weekend. Time for change or the students will continue to transfer to other schools in the are just like mine did and will continue to do.

545 Pierson Dr, Highlands, NC  28741
Last modified Highlands School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.