Bad
Good

I have three children @ HSES. We relocated here from New York and were a little worried about the transition from northern parochial school to public school here . The administration made it very easy for us and worked with us during a very confusing and difficult time . All three teachers understood our situation and gave our kids the extra attention they needed during the transition and kept constant contact with us. And their classmates were all terrific .. Not one problem . They made friends immediately. They are all three doing well in school both academically and socially . It's a great little neighborhood school that gave us the warmest of welcomes. The teachers and administration have been very respondent to any of our kids needs . WhT more can you ask for . ? JM in HS from NYC.

Develops character: Strongly agree

HSES chooses attributes to focus on and they give "cheetah spots" when students display those attributes. There is a constant communication with students about honesty, integrity, and respect. They even wear colors to represent some of the attributes and have special days they encourage everyone to participate.

My kids have been at Holly Springs Elementary for 3 years now and I love it here. We moved from Maryland where they attended a small private school with a classical curriculum. There have been things we have had to get use to in NC - common core, grading on a scale of 1-4, and the different way of teaching but even with so many changes my children have done well and have had great teachers every year. The office staff is nice, I'm not sure why they have all of the negative feedback. They are always pretty busy as it is a school of over 1,000 kids. Parental involvement is encouraged and appreciated, even through 5th grade. The carpool line isn't the best, but there isn't really anything they can do to change it.

My son went to this school and despite all we heard about the excellence of Wake County schools we did not find it up to the quality we were used to. Also found the office staff extremely cold and not at all interested in parent involvement in the school. I am confused by the high rating considering the low test scores indicated here. Perhaps this school is a step up from some locations but we were sadly disappointed after having high hopes. I also believe the area would benefit from smaller districts that are not trying to meet the needs of such diverse schools.

I love this school. My son has gone here for 2 yrs now. We have lived in Hudson County , Nj and Las Vegas . This is by far the best experience. The staff is friendly and my son is genuinely happy here. The only complaint is the school food but that's an issue nation wide. They get a great education for being a public school. They deal with any issues you might have as a parent quickly and respectfully. It's the first time I can relax and know my son is in good hands. Most of the teachers seem genuinely happy to be there which can mean a lot in the daily life of the students. They get an A+ for safety!

This is the 3rd yr my children attend HSES and of all schools they have been (total of 3 ES) I found the front office staff not very friendly at Holly Springs, cold people and saying "dont bother much" with their body languange. I had to send a letter to their attention in order to see little better attitude from them. Dr Steinbeck the principal is very sweet and great person! Most of the teachers are awesome and professional. If I have to move, I dont think we will loose much.

My son will be to the second grade in July, he has been going there since kindergarten. We both absolutely LOVE this school. I have never met a teacher or front desk employee that has not been 100% helpful. I now refuse to move away from Holly Springs, one of the main reasons being I want all my children to go to HSES! I'm not too sure why the parent from back in November complained about carpool, it works like a machine. They will easily have 80 cars in the line and have all the kids safely in the cars in under 20 minutes. GO CHEETAHS!!!

Small school feel, they do a tremendous amount for the kids. Always have family activities throughout the year. We know everyone in the office by first name. They are all extremely nice and will go out of their way to ensure the kids are learning in a safe environment.

This is the third elementary school my son has attended and so I am definitely speaking from experience when I say that this is by far the best elementary school in our area. The Principal, Mr. Harris runs a very tight ship and that carries down to all areas - including the car pool line. I have to completely disagree with the post below because HSES' car pool line is extremely efficient and sets the tone for how the school handles every aspect of the school day. Mr. Harris was involved in my son's academic progress and failures and never missed an opportunity to provide motivation and support to both of us. The teachers in turn follow this same philosophy and were clearly invested in trying to help my son reach his full learning potential. Thank you all for a truly wonderful 5th grade year.

They do a lot that doesn't make sense. The car pool is a mess, all the do is constantly wave at everyone to pull up even when the cars are stopped and you cant pull up. When at the cross walk to let a child pass the teacher who is suppose to be the crossing guard is waving me to pull forward anyway. I stop at cross walks on school grounds, they can get over it. If the staff was a little less concerned about waving everyone forward, and actually just unload/load the kids in front of them things would move faster. I tried walk to get her on nice days, but I am not allowed since she is not in the "walk zone" even though we live .4 miles from the school. If we want to walk we have to send a note that day in the morning or call the school, I cant just decide to walk because it is nice. Then they want to check my ID, but not in the carpool. I think a kidnapper would drive before they walk One day a month my child has a day to bring snacks to the whole class, I put them in her book bag, but her teacher does not think to look there and instead sends a note home saying we forgot. She is in Kindergarden, so I she doesn't remember. Now I have to make sure she tells them to look in her bag.

Last modified Holly Springs Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.