Holly Ridge Elementary

Public | K-5 | 800 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 5, 2014

We have had our children at Holly Ridge Elem. since 2009 and it has been a wonderful experience. My children have had dedicated teachers who have done an excellent job of keeping them interested and challenged in school. I am not a supporter of 'Common Core' curriculum and thereby I can state many complaints about it, but this is not a school decision - it is a state decision - one that I hope NC will rescind. It has been at HRE for 1.5 years - teachers work with it the best they can. I am aware that due to the curriculum/testing changes, there was an across the board lowering of scores in NC this last year (the 1st with the new curriculum) - which is not uncommon when a complete curriculum/testing change takes place. As far as parent involvement, I have been very involved as a classroom volunteer, general school volunteer and PTA volunteer and have always felt very needed and welcome in these various roles. The PTA in particular is always in need of more help and welcomes any and all levels of involvement! While I will contend that Wake County administration still needs work, I think HRE is an excellent school and would recommend it to anyone moving to the area!

Posted February 4, 2014

We were sadly disappointed in this school. The front office staff was extremely cold and unhelpful. Having been very involved at our previous school I was looking for ways to get involved but felt completely unwelcome. We were also surprised that academics were not better considering what we had heard about Wake County schools. We are now in a school in another state where the principal knows every student by name (over 600), test scores are in the 90 percentile and parent volunteers are welcomed and honored. Our disappointment in the school played a huge part in our leaving the area and it was the best choice we've ever made.

Posted August 22, 2013

I think Holly ridge Elementary Is a great place. I feel safe sending my children every day which is a big comfort. I am particularly happy with the resource services the school has provided. And all most all the staff have made me feel really welcome and that they are grateful for my help in working with them for my child. my suggested Improves are that they have a little bit more rest time for the children in the lower grades. I think the schedule is heavy in learning in the morning with all the choice time lunch time recess time in the afternoon. I think wish there was a better system for parents to be able to come visit. Not that parents should be able to visit all the time but If a grandparent is in form out of town they should be able to see the class room at least and maybe meet the teacher. I think if I get a call about how my child is misbehaving I should be able to observe the behavior at school so I can better understand what the school is saying. It would also be great if Holly ridge had a better play ground with more shade and maybe more places to climb and be a kid.

Posted January 9, 2013

So far, we have had a positive experience and a great 4th grade teacher that has kept my son challenged.

Posted October 28, 2012

In 2009, my oldest daughter started kindergarten. I had all the apprehension of a parent sending their child to school for the first time. My concerns were calmed the minute I stepped into school. The office staff was welcoming, the leadership was visible and accessible, and the teachers truly love and care about the children. I now have a second child At Holly Ridge and I can say things have only gotten better. Mrs. Gorman and Mrs. Proux are a dynamic team. We have had 4 years of teacher looking after the academic, social, and emotional needs of my kids. The PTA is active and their is a ton of parent support. My kids are happy and thriving because of the entire staff at this school. I could not be happier!

Posted October 26, 2012

We have had several children attend Holly Ridge Elementary over the past six years. HRES is a wonderful school that has awesome teachers and staff. In the past year there have been many positive changes that have only added to the quality of this school. I cannot say enough about the quality teachers that pour their heart into educating our kids! The PTA is highly involved and very supportive! The staff, parents, and administration truely work together to create a community school.

Posted October 24, 2012

We have two children who are students at Holly Ridge Elementary and we started attending in 2008 when our oldest started kindergarten. It is a wonderful school and we couldn't ask for better educators or administrators! The entire staff is just excellent and we are extremely pleased with the level of dedication the teachers have for each student. The PTA at HRE is also wonderful ! Very welcoming to new members and the activities and events that they bring in for the students are amazing. This PTA does a lot for its school community ! Way to go Holly Ridge Elementary.

Posted October 24, 2012

We have had 2 children attend Holly Ridge Elementary. It's a wonderful school; filled with dedicated, creative, hard working teachers and staff. It has a welcoming environment that you feel as soon as you walk through the front doors. The PTA at Holly Ridge is very involved, they have many events throughout the year that my kids love!! We love HRE!

Posted February 26, 2012

I have a daughter that attended to this school from K through 5th grade and another daughter that has been there from K and is now in 3rd grade. Love, love this school and all the teachers we have had...

Posted August 31, 2011

My daughter completed Kindergarten and is enjoying her first week in First Grade. Our experience so far has been a good one.

Posted January 1, 2011

i see how teachers are very involved with teaching their students. they are very good at helping kids raise their grades. principal makes sure her students are safe. lots of fun school activities fund raisers and more! if you are parent looking for a school to your kid get good grades, you have now found the perfect school! wonderful PTA! all you parents out there... i highly recomend this school!!!

Posted November 1, 2010

I find that the teachers are dedicated and concerned about each individual student, they use many methods to teach and bring out the talents in students, which gives the students a great deal of confidence. They are open to all suggestions and involve students and parents in the classroom experience. I am extremely pleased with this school and when I relocated from Ny, I chose my home according to the school district. Congratulations to Holly Springs elementary's teachers, staff, administration, students and parents. Job well done!

Posted January 20, 2009

We relocate frequently. Consequently, my children have attended multiple schools. Holly Ridge will forever be remembered as the worst school we have attended. The majority of the office staff seem annoyed with parents & kids. The 'teachers aides' speak to the children with disdain & disrespect (I have personally witnessed this, multiple times). The school routinely punishes the 'entire group' for bad behavior rather than promoting personal accountability. If everyone is punished, then there's is no reason to behave & follow the rules. It does feel like a military school. This school also has a policy not to acknowledge or celebrate common holidays. I was told that because the schools are so diverse, the risk for 'offense' is too high. It seems that the risk of 'offense', wake county's agenda and the 'Iron Fist' mentality seems to be the priority at Holly Ridge.

Posted December 29, 2008

I am very disappointed in this school. It is not a child friendly environmewnt at all. I would agrree with the other parents it is run like a prison or military boot camp. This is our first year with a not great teacher. She expects average and therfore gets slightly less than that. Prior to this the teachers had a high level of expectation and my child rose to the occassion. When I asked her about this, she just shrugged her shoulders. I hear at other schools that their children can have fun events during the year. This is definitely frowned upon at this school. These are my fond memories of school and what made learning fun and enjoyable. The leadership at this school apperently does not think learning should be fun too. There are many other parents who feel the same way who just haven't written.

Posted September 5, 2008

This is our fifth year at this school. The leadership at this school needs to be replaced. I feel like I send my children tyo prison everyday. Learning should be fun. It is not at this school. It has a high turnover of teachers because of the leadership andn creativity is frowned upon. Our teachers have been great though. I am disappointed that the main office will not do something about this environment despite parent complaints.

Posted February 28, 2008

Very sad to see no books being used for Science, Social Studies,Vocabulary. My child had 2 workbooks and a reading book that has NOT been used all year. When I asked questions about the agenda for the week it was never explained to me. Had NO idea what my child was learning and homework was very seldom brought home. We need books for our kids to study from just like I had in school. Sorry to say I am very unhappy with this school system.

Posted February 5, 2008

This is our second year at Holly Ridge Elementary school. Currently I have a 2nd & a 5th grader in this school. I have been very disappointed with the overall ability of the school to meet the needs of it's students. Both my children have had great teachers however the leadership of the school and the atmosphere is severely lacking. It is run more like a military boot camp instead of a child friendly environment for learning.

Posted September 23, 2006

This is a relatively new school that offers nice facilities. Yes, there are 4 classes in the 'trailers'/'cottages'. Although the teaching staff is on the younger side much energy is projected.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

All Students67%

Proficient in English64%
Non-migrant61%
Academically gifted91%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students63%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

900 Holly Springs Road