Holly Springs, NC
Students enrolled: 1,253

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 18, 2015
The teachers my son has had this year have engaged him and made him interested in learning. They also teach them to be more independent and take responsibility for themselves.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 18, 2015
My son has had no problem completing his homework assignments. They tend to get a lot of projects, but once they get used to doing them they learn how to pace themselves to get them done on time.

Holly Grove Middle School 4

Posted June 18, 2015
My son is wrapping up his 2nd year at Holly Grove. The teachers have been great and have done a great job at preparing him for high school. The school is very safe, they keep a police officer on site. Despite other comments about drugs, I have not seen or heard of anything like this. They have police dogs come in every now and then to sniff around and all searches have come up clean. I've never heard of fights in the hallways or anything like that. My son has truly enjoyed his time here and I feel he will be ready for high school. The only problem I did have was the electives. They need to offer better electives for boys especially. Having dance and chorus as an elective and trying to force a boy into either of these is not really a fair thing to do. They tried to tell me that was all they had to offer, but after fighting for 2-3 weeks to get him moved out of chorus they were able to make an adjustment and put him in Spanish. Chorus might be fine for some boys, but mine is not into music at all and especially doesn't want to have to get in front of people and sing. When I was in middles school we had woodshop, metal shop, and graphic arts. So, I do think they could offer better electives. In my opinion, dance is an after school activity-not an elective.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 18, 2015
I believe the school develops honesty, integrity, and fairness because the teachers practice these things which in turn shows the students how they should act.

Holly Grove Middle School 2

Posted April 26, 2015
Holly Grove started out as a great school for my son. The teachers were helpful, welcoming, and cheerful with a great attitude. Then everything changed when a teacher that came over from Fuquay-Varina Middle started working there. The teachers went from cheerful and helpful to being verbally abusive and mentally draining for my son. To give a great example, the schools motto is, "Every child will succeed" well, a teacher told my son, "Well, that doesn't mean that every child will succeed at success, some kids may succeed at failure..." Now, if you have become so frustrated with your job that you feel the need to say this to a student, maybe it is time for a new profession.

Holly Grove Middle School 5

Posted February 20, 2014
Holly Grove Middle is one of the most welcoming schools I have ever been in. The principal is always visible in the school and sets a high standard for teachers and parents to embrace the middle school concept of treating all students fairly. The teachers at HG are top quality, supportive, and actually enjoy working with teens. There are a lot of school activities and the PTA is very active. My children love this school and actually look forward to going to school this year!

Holly Grove Middle School 5

Posted September 15, 2012
We are (and have been) so please with HGMS. Great principal, great teachers supported by an involved group of parents.

Holly Grove Middle School 2

Posted June 03, 2011
3 out of 10 because there is a lot of drug related problems and there are many fights.

1401 Avent Ferry Road, Holly Springs, NC  27540
Last modified Holly Grove Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holly Grove Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top