Posted October 07, 2013
So far so good. It has only been a few weeks but we just moved here from MA and I am so happy for the kids to have teachers that seem to care and enjoy their jobs. The new principal is very nice. He helped us feel like we made the right decision as to where to place our incoming 11 yr old. Our 2nd grader is enjoying the school and is being challenged to his advanced ability. They bumped him up in spelling in week 5 from unit 3 to 22. They also gave him a special math booklet to do when he whips through the normal stuff they give him. Our school in MA wouldn't even consider doing this. They teach to the test and to the AVERAGE students. Mills River is doing a good job so far teaching above average students. I haven't had any bad experiences with the 5th grade teachers so far...(like previous poster) but there is a NEW one so they might have fixed the problem. We have the new one for my son's homeroom and she is a pleasure. I will post again at the end of the year. I think this forum is a powerful tool and all parents should take 5 minutes to weigh in on their schools.

Mills River Elementary 2

Posted June 04, 2013
This school does not live up to its ratings. Two of my children went to this school and I was very disappointed with their teachers. In fact, my daughter's fifth grade teacher was the worst teacher any of my 5 children has ever had! This is definitely not a skewed opinion or from the parent of a trouble maker; my daughter is an A student and is social, sweet, and has no weird personality or behavior issues. They got a new principal the year we left and he seems MUCH better than the last one who would never talk to parents. The front office staff is only marginally friendly. There may be teachers here who are better as we have experience with only a handful, but it is sad that a school allows the kind of horrific behavior from a teacher and does nothing about it! If you are new to the area and looking for a good school, Fletcher Elementary is the best! The school zones were redrawn twice while living in the area so my children have been to Edneyville Elem (only 1 child), Fletcher Elem, Etowah Elem, and Mills River Elem. Hands down Fletcher is the best but we bought a home in Etowah thinking that because of the ratings, it would be a great school also.

Mills River Elementary 1

Posted April 14, 2010

Mills River Elementary 0

Posted February 17, 2009
My son has been going to Mills River for three years. It is such a great school and atmosphere. They are working on a new school and I am sure it will be better and better. Mr. Treadway is the best principle I have ever met. We may be moving to Pinehurst this summer and we are really fretting about leaving such a good school.

Posted May 17, 2008
My daughter has been going to Mills River for about 4 months and I love this school. Her first day she came home so happy to have friends. All the staff and the children are extremely nice. It makes it so much easier to know that your child is happy when you leave them at school. The education is great too. This is a great small town/in the country school. (and that is what I like)

Posted October 08, 2006
My opinion may be of limited use in that my son has only been in MRE for the past two months. However, his - and my - experience has been extraordinary. Every single interaction that I have had with teachers, the principal, the office staff, guidance counselor, PSPM coordinator and the parents has been outstanding. They all seem to operate under the same mission: I will do everything I can to serve the educational and even personal needs of your child. I have never seen anything like it in my life. We moved here this summer from NYC, where my son was in a gifted program. He was not happy any one day for two years of going to school, and I thought it was him. He is now joy-filled everyday. I cry as I write this--because of the miracles that occur there daily. They very obviously love what they do.

Posted May 20, 2004

Mills River Elementary
94 School House Road, Horse Shoe, NC  28742
Last modified Mills River Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mills River Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top