Huntersville, NC

Posted March 27, 2015
HES is a wonderful school. The new principal has created an positive enviornment where the teachers and students seem happy and ready to learn. Most of the school reviews on this site seem to focus on the negative enviornment the old principal created. She is gone and so is her negativity.

Posted January 16, 2015
Our children have been at this school since we moved here six years ago. To say that their experiences have been amazing is an understatement. The teachers are caring, nurturing, and challenge each student to exceed his or her potential. I have witnessed reading levels skyrocket and critical thinking abilities expand tremendously. In a time where every school's success seems to be measured by test scores, HES is consistently at the top of the heap where test scores are concerned. The new principal is warm and friendly and the entire atmosphere at the school is hospitable. The teachers are clearly happy here and there is almost no teacher turnover from year to year. Parental involvement is off the charts, with volunteers visible throughout the day in the classrooms and parents enjoying lunch with their children in the cafeteria. HES is a great school and our children have thrived here!

Posted January 13, 2015
We have had several great years at HES. the teachers go above and beyond for our kids

Huntersville Elementary 1

Posted November 19, 2014
Do NOT send your child to this school. They focus solely on test scoring and consequences for "bad" behavior. This was our first year there and will definitely be our last. We actually pulled our youngest out to finish kinder at a local private school. This school does not focus on your child as a whole..instead they focus on strict rules, and a ridiculous emphasis on test scores. In my opinion, this school has an overall bad feeling about it from the minute you walk in the door. Yelling at kids seems to be a normal behavior and there is little ownership when you meet with administration to seek change. If we had to do it all over again, we would NEVER register our children at this school. There is definitely a reason so many parents seek alternate choices via private schools, charter schools, etc. The overall registration is down and it is no secret why. If I could have given zero stars I would have...one star is too many in my opinion.

Posted April 01, 2014
My son has started here this year. I have had a very good experience with this school. Was concerned about him attending here with all the negative feedback about the principal which to be honest she seems fine to me. Keeps a tight ship which is great. My son loves it and he is doing well so this give this school a vote by me.

Huntersville Elementary 2

Posted March 09, 2014
Parent involvement is the only reason this school's reputation is not totally tarnished. There is much hope that a new principal next year will allow some of our teachers to feel more supported.

Posted March 07, 2014
My daughter started Kindergarten this year and I have kept an open mind after reading all the previous reviews for the past couple of years. For my family, HES has been a wonderful environment. My daughter is academically advanced and she is thriving and getting work that is grade levels ahead where she needs it, so she is never bored. She has a teacher that is loving, firm, and meets the needs of every child in her class - a difficult task when there are so many levels within each classroom. I work full-time, but volunteer as often as possible to make sure her needs are being met academically and she is happy. She loves going to school everyday! I have been in an and out of the building at random times all year and I have never seen a child yelled at by any staff member or the principal. The principal has been kind and polite every time I have crossed paths with her. We have had no disciplinary incidents, so I have no experience with that. She has high expectations for her staff and all the children and I think that is a good thing for everyone. She was hired to run the school and she does it well. I expect the teachers to provide the loving and learning that my child needs.

Posted October 03, 2013
My daughter loves this school and so do we! The teachers are great and the school is very organized and responsive. I get e-mails and updates all the time, and get to see class pictures of my daughter in class. It is very strict, but it's one of the good qualities I was looking for. Thank you teachers and staff for doing a great job!

Posted September 16, 2013
Our son attended this school for Kindergarten and we cannot be more pleased with the result. I am really surprised at some of the negative comments about the school being too strict - that's one of the greatest strength of this school - they are just being super organized to keep the kids safe and on track - I did not think I appreciated that enough until after we moved away due to work. The teachers really work together to provide customized education for my son, as he's at a more advanced reading level. He loved going to school every day, and made incredible progress by the end of the year. Throughout the year, there are fun activities involving both kids and their family; I always felt it was our community. We simply love love love this school and misses it terribly - the school my son is currently attending is in nationally acclaimed school district, but doesn't come close because of the high bar HES has set.

Huntersville Elementary 1

Posted August 05, 2013
I think if they got rid of the principle the school would be a nicer place for both students and staff. They do not care about the children. I heard many of the staff on different occasions yell and degrade children. The principle is more like a dictator and does not belong working with young children. I emailed the superintendent of the school to address some of my issues and completely blew me off.

Huntersville Elementary
200 Gilead Road, Huntersville, NC  28078
Last modified Huntersville Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Huntersville Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 72 reviews. Top