Huntersville, NC

Posted December 02, 2014
This school is terrible. The teachers are impossible to communicate with. Principle doesn't care about serious issues like bullying. They only to teach to pass EOG and care about nothing else! We will not be back next year!!

Posted March 21, 2014
How sad that every time a review shows the school in a negative light, staff/parents rush in to discredit it and say how wonderful things are. It is time to stop hiding behind the absurd excuse that the teacher and child are not a good fit. Carefully read the negative reviews and you will see many of them are about the response (if any) from administration when issues are brought to them. Our children and the community deserve better than this and perhaps this website should be used at the next principal coffee chat.

Posted March 17, 2014
I have one second grader at Barnette and a rising kindergartener (who I am thrilled to start there next year). My child has thrived at Barnette. The teachers and administration are engaged, caring and committed to these kids. My child was recently moved into the TD (gifted) program and I am very pleased with the programs and opportunities he has been given to grow and continued to be challenged (Many of which are not available at charter schools). Barnette is preparing my child for real life in the real world. There will likely be personality conflicts at any school, where a teacher and child/family may not be the best fit (which is likely the cause of negative reviews here). I am proud to be a part of the Barnette family and trust my children in the very capable hands of Mrs. Newman and her staff.

Barnette Elementary 4

Posted March 12, 2014
I have been at BES for 4 years now and have 2 students, next year 3. I don't find these vague reviews accurate at all. My kids don't have hours and hours of homework so teachers can go to luncheons. That's absurd. The schedule has changed once in the school year and it affected the kids only positively. Neither child of mine was distraught or at a loss for shifting some specials. The principal is truly genuine and doing a great job with the things that are asked of her by CMS. BES seems to be chosen for pilot programs and the school accommodates these things. And lastly regarding teachers leaving, the average age teacher is of Generation X where they switch jobs often and do not establish long tenure anymore. Get used to it. They aren't the teachers you had growing up that worked at one school for 30 years and taught your whole neighborhood 2 generations deep. The current PTA BTW, is kicking butt! I've been very pleased.

Posted February 17, 2014
My child is a second grader also. My child was told he was a cheater by his teacher because he brought home a paper that was supposed to be finished at school. Since the kids do a huge amount of worksheets at home already, the confusion was understandable. And if he wasn't the type to talk openly with us, we would have never known. We called the teacher and she immediately apologized to us and to him the very next day and administration was not even used. The truth is the leadership here does not want to be bothered with things like this in their school. When I was in school our principal used to surprise teachers and sit in on their class. It made them accountable for what they did and what they said. I think this would help here. I would advise any parent with issues not resolved here to go straight to the North Learning Community.

Posted January 25, 2014
We love Barnette. Our son is in the second grade, and has attended since kindergarten. The staff is helpful and they do a fantastic job making sure that all of the kids are made to feel important. I've read the negative reviews that are posted, and most of them are people who are impossible to please, and will not admit that their child is not perfect. There is no perfect school, but Barnette is as close as we have seen.

Posted January 25, 2014
This schools leadership is terrible. There is no consistency. The schedules change and are all over the place constantly. The teachers can't keep up, the students can't keep up, it is chaos.

Posted January 24, 2014
Barnette is by far one of the best in the area, if not the best. Parental involvement is higher than previous years and the support for students comes from the entire staff. I have noticed a difference over the past year with culture at the school, from different events that take place as well as the excitement shown from my children that want to participate. Lots of technology based learning. Every school has issues. Barnette staff, parents and admin are trying hard to crack down on issues and invite the community to support the school.

Posted December 19, 2013
This school is by far one of the worst schools ever. They overload the kids with homework so they can have staff luncheons. It is not okay to not teach for 2 hours to attend a school party then send my kids home with extra homework on top of their crazy amount of homework. One kid has an hour and half of homework every night on top of a school project every 2 weeks. The other has an hour of homework a night it is just too much they are kids. It is also not okay to complain to the kids about your divorce. Every week the kids come home asking for money for fundraisers. They take the kids out of class all the time for pep rally's, book fairs, Christmas shops and send the kids home begging for money. They are at school to learn. I'm tired of all the fundraising. I would like my kids to actually learn at school. Not tell me what the school is selling every week. The front staff is extremely rude and the principal never gets back to you no matter how many times you leave notes or emails. Stay far away from this school it is a pretty school, but the staff is horrendous.

Posted April 09, 2013
I'm at BES, in the classroom often. IMHO: PRINCIPAL - Superb! I heard all the rumors, read all the reviews, did my "homework" before sending my child to BES. But first hand I found that Principal Newman is extremely personable and available to parents. We met at the Fall Festival where I observed her interacting with both students and parents. She had fun with her staff. Later in the year, when I had questions about my child's placement, she spoke at length to me on her drive home, well after office hours had ended, for almost 30 minutes. She listened and provided constructive ideas for how we could partner together to further challenge my child to achieve his academic best. TEACHERS-Great! My child's K teacher (a Newman hire) is young, but energetic, enthusiastic and provides weekly communications about classroom activities and at-home activities to support my child's learning (something even my charter school friends don't get!). ACADEMICS-Excellent! Differentiated activities allow my child to pursue his academic best in the midst of a diverse (both ethnicity and academic level) group of students. 5star online resources PTA-Organized, Supportive & Community Building

Barnette Elementary
13659 Beatties Ford Road, Huntersville, NC  28078
Last modified Barnette Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Barnette Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top