Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)

My grandchild loves it at Barnette and I am very pleased with the curriculum provided, however, I am EXTREMELY disappointed that in the past TWO years only TWO bulletin boards or teachers boards as they may be known were created to celebrate Black History Month. Only two!! I am a grandparent of Caucasian descent and have been around for the injustices shown to the blacks in this country and vowed to myself as I got older that I would not allow my family to mistreat or belittle the accomplishments made by black folks. I waited until the very end of February see if the staff would at least do something and only one measly board was posted. I gave my grandson ONE assignment: Tell me what you learned about an African American person today, and besides what I've taught him(I'm 42 yrs retired from Mecklenburg County Schools), he's had only one person to talk about and that came in the middle of the month. This lack of respect for our fellow Americans is disgusting and shameful. I am working on a curriculum for Black History Month that I will propose to the board of education for the 2018-2019 school year and will also be bringing attention to any other schools who are failing our children in this area. Mrs.Gabriel and her staff should be ashamed. Shame! Shame! Shame! This will NOT go unnoticed.

I love the small community, the closeness of the staff, and how much they support one another. We've been at Barnette for 3 years and love every part of it!

My biggest fear was that my daughter would get bored. This has never been a concern! The "blocks" for reading and math keep her challenged and engaged with students at her level. The teachers are very easy to communicate with, they are "on it" with the use of technology - integrated but not a distraction. The PTA is very active and FANTASTIC. We couldn't have done any better with a private/charter school. We LOVE Barnette!

Amount of homework: Agree

The teachers make good use of traditional paper as well as online homework assignments. There's typically 30 minutes or so per evening (so far!).

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They have a "Character" program where they recognize and reward admirable student behavior. Students who exhibit good Character get a T-Shirt and it's announced during morning announcements to the whole school!

We love Barnette! I can't imagine a better school for our kids or this community. The administration is caring and thoughtful in their decisions regarding the school and students. The teachers are amazing and do a great job teaching students on every level. The Cambridge Program is a great addition to the school and feeder schools. Barnette PTA goes above and beyond for our students and staff. We consider ourselves fortunate to be apart of the Barnette community!

We love Barnette! The teachers are great at communicating what is happening and our PTO is top notch. The flex program has been huge for my kid. The ability to move around and learn from different teachers is great. It is close to home, it is clean and all the staff are friendly and accommodating. More folks in our community should give our public schools the opportunity to shine and stop going to charter schools that are pulling funding from our public schools. Be an involved parent and the school will be what you want it to be. We highly recommend Barnette!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Each of my son's teachers have given at least 110%, they truly care for each student!

We love Barnette! It has it all amazing teachers plus a outstanding PTA, you couldn't ask for a better elementary school!!!

I currently have 1 child attending Barnette (4th Grades). We have had a fabulous experience at the school. GREAT teachers, amazing staff and hands-on parents. 5 Stars all the way! Keep up the great work Barnette!

Last modified Barnette Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.