Posted July 11, 2014
Hemby Bridge was built in 1975. The classrooms are divided by bulletin boards, which extend from the floor to the ceiling creating a wall. This concept has been addressed to the school board, but because of budget cuts nothing can be done. There are bookcases due to the amount of reading material that is used to enhance learning. You can rest assure the safety of students and staff is a high priority at Hemby Bridge, as it is in all Union County schools and throughout North Carolina. Every classroom has a smart board. Teachers and students have regular size laptops and access to two computer labs to boost learning. Hemby Bridge does welcome tours. However, like any school an appointment would be preferred due to testing, summer cleaning, and the confidentiality and safety of the students and staff. The cafeteria manager takes a genuine interest in not only preparing the food, but the student s needs due to various allergies and medical conditions. The library is large and there are various levels of books that encompass all genres. The community loves this school and is very proud of the students past and present. Hemby Bridge is a great school!

Hemby Bridge Elementary School 2

Posted July 04, 2014
This school was built in 1974. K-3 is OPEN classrooms divided by bookshelves/bulletin boards. This is a serious problem for children w/sensory issues. Grades 4-5 are in a separate more modern building. There are no Smartboards in the classrooms. Teachers do have access to small laptops for their class. Our experience with the teachers/staff has been less than stellar but I'm sure there are great teachers here. Due to the age/layout of this school, it does not meet the current safety standards that you find in newer schools. For safety sake, my comments are purposely kept at a minimum. You will not be able to tour this facility before you make a decision on a house. We were informed that tours are not allowed. On a positive note, everything is freshly painted throughout, bright, well maintained, and clean. The library is nice as it sits in the middle of the open classroom building. You walk through the library to get to the rest of the school. The cafeteria food is good with lots of fresh fruit and vegetable options. Overall, this school should have been sold or re purposed long ago. It would be better used as a private Montessori school due to the open layout.

Hemby Bridge Elementary School 3

Posted September 09, 2013
My son transferred and attended the school for 2 years before we moved across the county to another school. His first year in 2nd grade was hard because of a difficult teacher. He finally made it to 3rd grade and had an awesome male teacher. I applaud the school for having such great male role models for young children from 3rd-5th grades. I wish there more in the earlier grades. There is a lot of emphasis on teaching the students information from the EOGs. I understand the need for testing but don't understand why they put so much pressure on the students to pass this test so they can earn a title for the school. After transferring to my son's new school, I noticed a different approach to teaching from most of the teachers and from the administration. I wish Union County Public Schools would rotate their principals so that every teacher and student would be affected by a proficient and thorough principal.

Hemby Bridge Elementary School 3

Posted March 12, 2013
We thought Hemby Bridge was a great school because of all the reports that we had read. On paper, it looked like a great school but in reality, it's only a good school that has a lot of room for improvement. It's a shame that my child does not have a Spanish teacher, a computer teacher, or a teacher who will teach them cursive writing. When they enter middle school, they will be behind in not being able to speak the language, know the basics of Microsoft Office, or how to sign their name on a document. We had a child who had a behavioral issue. We asked for help and found nothing but conflict and resistance from the new assistant principal. Most people love the school based on their experience with their child's teacher. We have had great teachers who truly loved their job and we have had duds who had no excitement for the classroom. As a former teacher, I was required to send my parents weekly emails with lesson plans and update my website weekly. My child's teacher only sends an email when she needs classroom supplies and her Moodle site hasn't been updated in months. I wish there was more parent involvement. We had dances, carnivals and fun events our first year.

Posted October 11, 2010
My son loves third grade and loves school for the first time in many years.

Posted February 25, 2010
My granddaughter is an AIG student in Math and Reading. She is also always A or A/B honor roll student. Her sister in Middle school same thing and attended here last year. If a parent gives child help and love, and as grandparents give them, better ed to look forward too, college, better paying jobs, goals in their lives.This is why this school is such an instrumental part of Val's learning. This is an outstanding school. The field trips may not be long, but they are worth every dime.. Thank you for teaching both of our granddaughters so well. They both love their teachers. This is in my opinion, one of the main factors from being a good to a great school!!! for when a child does not like a teacher, the relationship fails. Linda Williams, grandmother

Posted December 24, 2008
I moved to this area just to go to this school. It's a wonderful school and very catering to my childs special needs.

Hemby Bridge Elementary School 0

Posted October 29, 2008
I attended HBES and my two children now attend there. I love the school. My fifth grader is getting well prepared for middle school and my second grader is learning so many new things. The transition of a new school year minus 500 students has been a very sucessful one. I have read all the other reviews and as a parent who is very involved at HB I feel like the problems have been due to an overcrowded school and the inability to meet each individual need. Our new administrators and staff are very positive as well as the students and PTO. It seems like a new school since we are half the size we used to be. The classrooms are from 17 - 24 students, and more than enough staff to meet the needs. The PTO fills in the gaps. I love HBES and my children are thriving there.

Posted June 26, 2008

Posted February 05, 2008

Hemby Bridge Elementary School
6701 Indian Trail Fairview Road, Indian Trail, NC  28079
Last modified Hemby Bridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hemby Bridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews.