Indian Trail, NC
Students enrolled: 1,327

Sun Valley Middle School 4

Posted April 21, 2015
A pleasant surprise after hearing negative reviews. There is a security system in place and yes, you do need to be buzzed in to enter the school. The building is old but with the spotlight on them, Union County Public Schools was forced to update and maintain the facilities as they should. Any issues with the system in place today is the fault of the Board of Education who cares very little about students or families.

Posted January 20, 2015
My boys love SVMS. I think the teaching staff is supportive and well rounded. They are flexible with the students but tough when needed. They communicate well with the parents and welcome input. They are easy to talk to and approachable. My boys enjoy middle school and have adjusted well. Whenever there is a problem it is dealt with immediately. The parents are very involved and helpful within the community. I love the administration they are the main reason why the school is successful. Despite the things you may hear about this school I am so grateful that my boys are learning and they are happy.

Sun Valley Middle School 2

Posted October 12, 2014
My child was redistricted from Weddington Middle School. It is a story of the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Weddington - new school, well maintained, clean, nice facilities. Sun Valley - Neglected, dark, gloomy, dilapidated. Proper maintenance and upgrades can make an 'old' school look nice. This school is clearly neglected. Walk right in, no locking front doors/no buzzer to get in...walk around! Is the security of the 'have nots' not as important as the 'haves'? It is a shame for Union County to have such differences in schools and funding. Go to google maps for an aerial view. Compare the roof to surrounding buildings. We are looking into alternatives. Our kids deserve better.

Sun Valley Middle School 3

Posted June 18, 2012
Academically my son did well and we had no problems. The teachers were all very nice. The issue I have is at this age range theres need to be a lot of communication between the school and the parents. If there is a trend that is alarming among the student body I feel the school has the responsibility to inform the parents. I approached the school about a cutting situation that I knew several students were involved in. They told me they were aware but not much they could do. This is an issue that should have been alerted to the parents. I never heard of this as a teenager and never would have thought. It is an issue that is not being addressed.

Sun Valley Middle School 2

Posted January 30, 2012
I am being very kind when I say, I am already looking at private school for my son who is only in the 4th grade. While I love the K6 and 9-12 programs, the middle school leaves a lot to be desired. My 9th grader went to SVMS after Weddington Middle - it's like leaving the Hilton and going to the emergency shelter. The stories that she came home with every day sounded like made for TV movies. There is very little enforcement of the rules, and it seems like a dumping ground for the last, the least and the left out. While she did well academically, she struggled in other areas which spilled over into our home. We sent her there well rounded and she came home with and attitude that made our home very tense. My son will NOT go there if we can help it. If he does - I WILL BE THERE EVERY CHANCE I GET TO MAKE SURE HE STAYS ON TRACK!!!!!

Posted July 01, 2011
I am an educator and had the choice of a few schools to send my children. I am consistently pleased that I sent my children to SVMS. One child is entering the 8th grade and has been provided with many opportunities to develop as a person and a scholar. The drama and music department alone make SVMS stand out. My son will be attending this year and cannot wait to begin. I am a firm believer that the school is only as good as the parents and their involvement. The PTO has become increasingly involved, and that has also brought a very positive atmosphere to the school. Overall, I love SVMS and am thankful my children attend this school!

Sun Valley Middle School 4

Posted June 30, 2011
Sun Valley Middle School is a wonderful school. The focus is on student success, academics, and instruction. The principal has done an incredible job making it a learner-centered school. School spirit and pride is at an all-time high.

Posted May 21, 2011
My daughter is just about to complete 8th grade, she has attended SVMS for 3 years and loved it. I have been very happy with her experience both academically and socially. She is in BETA club and is taking advanced classes. There are lots of opportunities for the kids to get involved and there is a lot of school spirit.

Sun Valley Middle School 1

Posted February 28, 2011
i think sun valley middle school is the worst school my child ever attended its horrible. there have been numurous fights and horrible test scores!!!!! My child is now attending roy romer middle school it is wonderful!!!!1

Sun Valley Middle School 3

Posted July 26, 2010
We have had two children attend school at SVMS. The average rating I gave it was generous at best. Both of my children have had issues with theft at this school. Like all schools, there are some students here that are well behaved and all around nice students but the majority are not. If you have a choice of schools or are thinking of moving into an area where this school serves your family, my suggestion would be to reconsider. If your child is above average academic wise, he/she will not be challenged at this school. Also, as a side note...this school does have a dress code that is strictly enforced, but not by the principal (visible tattoos, short skirts...).

Sun Valley Middle School
1409 Wesley Chapel Road, Indian Trail, NC  28079
Last modified Sun Valley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sun Valley Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top