Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

SVMS is one of the best middle school in Union County. The administration staff does a wonderful job attending to their students. Any concerns and inquires are addressed with a sense of urgency. A great school to be a part of.

There is a very serious issue in the school bullying also racial bullying. Staff needs to figure something out.

Develops character: Strongly agree

SVMS does not let the kids get away with excuses. The children are held accountable for their work.

SVMS is a fantastic school. Dr. Merritt and her staff are very energetic and have always been helpful. The teachers are engaged and both of my children have had great experiences.

A pleasant surprise after hearing negative reviews. There is a security system in place and yes, you do need to be buzzed in to enter the school. The building is old but with the spotlight on them, Union County Public Schools was forced to update and maintain the facilities as they should. Any issues with the system in place today is the fault of the Board of Education who cares very little about students or families.

My boys love SVMS. I think the teaching staff is supportive and well rounded. They are flexible with the students but tough when needed. They communicate well with the parents and welcome input. They are easy to talk to and approachable. My boys enjoy middle school and have adjusted well. Whenever there is a problem it is dealt with immediately. The parents are very involved and helpful within the community. I love the administration they are the main reason why the school is successful. Despite the things you may hear about this school I am so grateful that my boys are learning and they are happy.

My child was redistricted from Weddington Middle School. It is a story of the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Weddington - new school, well maintained, clean, nice facilities. Sun Valley - Neglected, dark, gloomy, dilapidated. Proper maintenance and upgrades can make an 'old' school look nice. This school is clearly neglected. Walk right in, no locking front doors/no buzzer to get in...walk around! Is the security of the 'have nots' not as important as the 'haves'? It is a shame for Union County to have such differences in schools and funding. Go to google maps for an aerial view. Compare the roof to surrounding buildings. We are looking into alternatives. Our kids deserve better.

Academically my son did well and we had no problems. The teachers were all very nice. The issue I have is at this age range theres need to be a lot of communication between the school and the parents. If there is a trend that is alarming among the student body I feel the school has the responsibility to inform the parents. I approached the school about a cutting situation that I knew several students were involved in. They told me they were aware but not much they could do. This is an issue that should have been alerted to the parents. I never heard of this as a teenager and never would have thought. It is an issue that is not being addressed.

I am being very kind when I say, I am already looking at private school for my son who is only in the 4th grade. While I love the K6 and 9-12 programs, the middle school leaves a lot to be desired. My 9th grader went to SVMS after Weddington Middle - it's like leaving the Hilton and going to the emergency shelter. The stories that she came home with every day sounded like made for TV movies. There is very little enforcement of the rules, and it seems like a dumping ground for the last, the least and the left out. While she did well academically, she struggled in other areas which spilled over into our home. We sent her there well rounded and she came home with and attitude that made our home very tense. My son will NOT go there if we can help it. If he does - I WILL BE THERE EVERY CHANCE I GET TO MAKE SURE HE STAYS ON TRACK!!!!!

I am an educator and had the choice of a few schools to send my children. I am consistently pleased that I sent my children to SVMS. One child is entering the 8th grade and has been provided with many opportunities to develop as a person and a scholar. The drama and music department alone make SVMS stand out. My son will be attending this year and cannot wait to begin. I am a firm believer that the school is only as good as the parents and their involvement. The PTO has become increasingly involved, and that has also brought a very positive atmosphere to the school. Overall, I love SVMS and am thankful my children attend this school!

Last modified Sun Valley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.