Posted June 18, 2012
Academically my son did well and we had no problems. The teachers were all very nice. The issue I have is at this age range theres need to be a lot of communication between the school and the parents. If there is a trend that is alarming among the student body I feel the school has the responsibility to inform the parents. I approached the school about a cutting situation that I knew several students were involved in. They told me they were aware but not much they could do. This is an issue that should have been alerted to the parents. I never heard of this as a teenager and never would have thought. It is an issue that is not being addressed.

Sun Valley Middle School 2

Posted January 30, 2012
I am being very kind when I say, I am already looking at private school for my son who is only in the 4th grade. While I love the K6 and 9-12 programs, the middle school leaves a lot to be desired. My 9th grader went to SVMS after Weddington Middle - it's like leaving the Hilton and going to the emergency shelter. The stories that she came home with every day sounded like made for TV movies. There is very little enforcement of the rules, and it seems like a dumping ground for the last, the least and the left out. While she did well academically, she struggled in other areas which spilled over into our home. We sent her there well rounded and she came home with and attitude that made our home very tense. My son will NOT go there if we can help it. If he does - I WILL BE THERE EVERY CHANCE I GET TO MAKE SURE HE STAYS ON TRACK!!!!!

Posted July 01, 2011
I am an educator and had the choice of a few schools to send my children. I am consistently pleased that I sent my children to SVMS. One child is entering the 8th grade and has been provided with many opportunities to develop as a person and a scholar. The drama and music department alone make SVMS stand out. My son will be attending this year and cannot wait to begin. I am a firm believer that the school is only as good as the parents and their involvement. The PTO has become increasingly involved, and that has also brought a very positive atmosphere to the school. Overall, I love SVMS and am thankful my children attend this school!

Sun Valley Middle School 4

Posted June 30, 2011
Sun Valley Middle School is a wonderful school. The focus is on student success, academics, and instruction. The principal has done an incredible job making it a learner-centered school. School spirit and pride is at an all-time high.

Posted May 21, 2011
My daughter is just about to complete 8th grade, she has attended SVMS for 3 years and loved it. I have been very happy with her experience both academically and socially. She is in BETA club and is taking advanced classes. There are lots of opportunities for the kids to get involved and there is a lot of school spirit.

Sun Valley Middle School 1

Posted February 28, 2011
i think sun valley middle school is the worst school my child ever attended its horrible. there have been numurous fights and horrible test scores!!!!! My child is now attending roy romer middle school it is wonderful!!!!1

Posted July 26, 2010
We have had two children attend school at SVMS. The average rating I gave it was generous at best. Both of my children have had issues with theft at this school. Like all schools, there are some students here that are well behaved and all around nice students but the majority are not. If you have a choice of schools or are thinking of moving into an area where this school serves your family, my suggestion would be to reconsider. If your child is above average academic wise, he/she will not be challenged at this school. Also, as a side note...this school does have a dress code that is strictly enforced, but not by the principal (visible tattoos, short skirts...).

Posted April 21, 2010
The school spirit at SVMS is unbelievable! The principal is involved with the students and the teachers are there to help when you need them!

Posted March 17, 2010
My son attends SVMS and loves it. The Administration and teachers are wonderful. The basketball team has really improved from last year. It's all info the coaching. SVMS strives to help the student acheive what their goals, and to get them ready for SVHS.

Posted February 26, 2010
I am not sure what I am missing at this school. My daughter does do well there. However, there seems to be a disconnect in policy and enforcing written policy. Every day my child comes home, there is a new story about how unruly the 8th grade is. Behavior starts in the home and the attitude is brought to the school. The administration is wonderful, the teachers are great - they take way too much from the kids. Follow your written policy and send the problems back home to their parents or require the parents to come in with their kid

Sun Valley Middle School
1409 Wesley Chapel Road, Indian Trail, NC  28079
Last modified Sun Valley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sun Valley Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews.