Bad
Good

I use to like this school until I met the school principal Gail Normally. .Shes is the worst, she's rude and has a very smart mouth.She's not about "no child left behind".She's about leaving a child behind by suspending them.The school would much better off without her.I wish I would've listened to others that told me about this school when i enrolled them.She needs to be replaced she's to old anyways.

Overall, this is a great school. My children attended from K through second grade. One had a GREAT teacher in the inclusion classroom, the other was in regular education Kindergarten and did not learn much at all (most was just a review of pre K), first grade, one got a terrific teacher and one got a very disorganized weak teacher (weak in her instructional methods and her control of the classroom), the third grade teachers were great- no complaints, they followed the new Common Core Curriculum to a T. The best part about the school is the Autism classroom. Great teacher who genuinely cares about her students and is totally committed to their success. She is experienced and skilled in how to manage the special needs of students diagnosed with autism. The principal does not seem to support her teachers as much as she could and tries to use the system to her advantage as far as I have observed. She does not seem to care about the interests of the parents and always is rushed and argumentative.

My child has attended this school for almost 4 years now. The teachers we have had, have been amazing. I do find that the principal is frequently unavailable and seemingly very cold. However, my child loves this school and his teachers. They strive to help those who are above grade level and work hard with those who are a little behind. I frequently volunteer and see this firsthand. What is important is my child's experience and my child is very happy here. I am confident in the education my child receives.

Worst school ever!! Principal is frequently absent and staff is treated poorly and has bad attitudes as a result. Privacy is also an issue due to gossiping in front of students and parents. Parents are made to feel unwelcome-avoid this school if you can!

My granddaughter had her first school experience at Southwest. It was a wonderful experience for her, and set the standard by which she, her mother, and I try to maintain since having to move her to a different school. Thanks to the administration, the teachers, the staff, and contributing parents who have helped to set the bar for academic success and bright futures.

My daughter attended Kindergarten at Southwest last year and has since moved to California where she is in 1st grade. I can say without question that Southwest was/is a wonderful school with resources that California "wished" they had. I do believe my daughter received a better education at Soutwest (ie: she was taking "Technology" in Kindergarten leaning in a computer lab.) Here in what is considered a "great school" they do not work with computers until their in the higher grades and they have over 20 students in lower classes without the aid of an asst. which my daughter had in Kindergarten at Southwest. They also lose out on 2 hours of education every Thursday (which equals 1 day a month or 9 days a school year because of "budget constraints". So, for those with the grass is greener on the other side you may be surprised just how lucky you are to have your children taught at SouthWest.

The office staff has a habit of gossiping in front of visitors where there is cause for concern in student privacy. Once they miscommunicated a sick call, I left work to get him only to be informed my MIL picked him up...the confusion lead to the realization that THEY DID NOT CHECK HIS FILE BEFORE ALLOWING HIM TO LEAVE WITH ANOTHER ADULT. The orientation packet of forms we complete each year is pointless as they do not update student files, as I've repeatedly asked them to update my current address and phone numbers I've been using for 3 years now. Teachers either have it or they don't. Kindergarten was a disappointment, 1st & 2nd grade were amazing, this most recent 3rd grade year was a disgrace, as her adjustment to teaching a new grade level was poor. The principal is rarely available. Of the 4 times I've left messages for her over the years, she usually returned my call after 2-4 requests at least 1-3 full days later. Her focus on the matters were rushed, distant, and she seemed more interested in speaking than listening; her disrespectful demeanor is appalling. I've opted to travel 35 minutes each way to school next year rather than allow him to return to this school.

My oldest son attended here-some teachers were good but others just seemed to only care about collecting a paycheck. The principal is absent frequently and doesn't make parents feel welcome at all, as well as treats staff members unprofessionally which I'm sure accounts for some of the teacher's poor attitudes. I'm glad my second child attends a different school.

My children were there last year (2009/2010) and the school was amazing! My children just moved and were going thru a lot and everyone there made them and my self feel very comfortable and did everything in their ability to help them as well as me! My children and I miss that school very much!

I love it here so far. My son's last school was horrible compared to this one, but I hope that his teacher continues to give the attention that my son needs!

Last modified Southwest Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.