Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I love this school and my child's teachers! My son is in the EC class here. Since moving here he has has a drastic improvement in his school work and behavior. At his previous school he missed quite a few days to to behavioral issues. Although I loved his primary teacher other teachers there were not qualified to deal with children like my son and weren't very nice to him. His teachers here at Northwoods are loving and treat my son as their own. I am amazed at his progress since attending Northwoods. I feel it goes to show that when you have loving dedicated teachers and not just teachers showing up for a pay check, that a child can and will improve. I wish my other child at Northwoods Park Middle was able to have such loving and dedicated teachers as well. When my son starts middle school he will not be attending Northwoods Park Middle.

My grandson came home on Feb. 21st with a black eye he got in gym class, when another boy head butted him. I contacted the gym teacher, and heard nothing from her. On the 23rd I contacted Mrs. Williams again, and she informed me she had spoken to my grandsons mother and told her that the assistant principal and she had settled the matter. I knew this was not true, because I had spoken to my daughter about the matter. When my daughter finally got someone in the office to speak to her, which was not an easy task, the assistant principal stated she did not know anything about the situation. Someone is not telling the truth, so how can I trust the faculty of this school to keep my grandsons best interest in mind.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers care about their students. And it shows. They are dedicated to the safety and well being of the children. They constantly come up with creative ways for the dismissal. Almost every teacher is outside during the dismissal/schoolbus load/offload. They don't have to do it but they do. They greet you in the mornings when you drive to the school to drop off and pick up. Not just a hi and bye.

Amount of homework: Agree

I've seen that some teachers give out homework and some don't. I grew up in an era where homework was considered obligatory. I think homework gives the teachers a chance to see that the student can do the work taught on his or her own as well as show that if they needed help at home that they are receiving the help and the parents understand what is being taught is assistance is being given at the home.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I am always at the school. Whether for popcorn Friday's, or volunteering for trips. Volunteering to help in the classrooms. I haven't seen any bullying as of yet.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I personally know a boy in this school who has a learning disability as well as a behavioral problem. To me, it seems as if he isn't getting the help that he truly needs.

Effective school leaders: Agree

Elementary school children can be rowdy. They're excited for school and they talk and play. The teachers effectively and creatively come up solutions to grab attention and redirect focus when need be.

My two sons attend this school currently and have been since 2014. They both started from K and are now in 1st and 2nd grade. My boys have both been admitted to the AIG program (Advanced Intellectual Group). The staff is excellent. The teachers care about their kids. The PTO is very hard working and make sure that the kids know that there is a parent presence here. I think that more parents should be involved, instead of complaining. This is a technology magnet school. The children bring laptops and tablets home almost every night to do homework and work on computer knowledge. This is preparing the students for the rigors of the ever changing technology industry. This school year 2016-2017, the principal Dr. Pylant has introduced the students to coding. And that is a very marketable skill for these children. And they plan to incorporate the coding class every year now. This school gets a bad wrap because of the neighborhood that it's in, as well as reviews that I've seen on here about not receiving an honor roll sticker because your child is doing what s/he is supposed to do. NWES celebrates the children's accomplishments, they hold honor roll as well as various other awards assemblies where parents can attend. It's a work in progress. And I think that NWES is doing a fabulous job. Overall what this school is lacking in my honest opinion are parents who truly care for the welfare of the school not only for their children attending currently, but for the children to come after. Parents who can speak up and help to make this school better year after year.

I absolutely love my son's teacher!! Mrs. Bell 3rd grade Northwoods Elementary. She's so in tune with her class! She's caring, kind, motivates them!! :) I can't believe how blessed we have been with her. She's genuinely cares and goes the extra mile!! And actually I think she's been through alot this year in her personal life yet nothing she's been through had affected my son she's always there when he needs her! She even called me immediately after her grandmother's funeral BC she knew I was worried about Seth. We need more teachers like her and I would like to publicly commend her for an amazing job well done!! Thank you Mrs. Bell

They go out of their way and do things that I've never seen other schools do but on the other hand the misbehaving students and their parents who don't care add to an atmosphere that is not condusive to success . The principle and staff work very hard to keep students safe and protected. I have personally seen the Principal himself as well as a good portion of staff fanning out, even crossing the street in the afternoons to asist walkers. It is actually a beautiful thing to see a staff that goes so far out of their way to get students safely on their way. On the other hand, many of the teachers are actually so run down by bad behaving students and their parents that (some of) the teachers have just given up and still some other teachers have become mean and lack any patience what so ever.The term "burned out" comes to mind. The Building itself is mostly old, dark and dank and it cooled by window A/C units. The only redeaming quality is that there are some very good teachers who care and a Principal who is clearly trying! I don't even know if you can blame all the teachers who do care but just don't know what else to do because the parents don't teach respect.

Last modified Northwoods Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.