Parkwood Elementary 1

Posted March 24, 2014
This school has been dropping rapidly in the last few years with the multiple changes in principals during my time here. It is unfortunate that Parkwood has such poor leadership and that the atmosphere fostered here is such that lack luster teachers will multiply under the favoritism exhibited by the principal. My kids were fortunate enough to have several teachers who were outstanding and much loved among all the children but alas, the principal did not like a few of them (excellent teachers who had been nominated for teacher of year by parents!) and ran those teachers out. I was also a sad witness to the ostracizing that some of the teachers would exhibit towards one specific teacher such as at assemblies not speaking to her or acknowledging her at all during the speeches that mentioned every other teacher, placing her and her class at the very back of the auditorium , leaving them all out of the pictures and power point....shame, shame on these supposed adults! All these goes on with the tacit approval of the principal who benignly looks on. Is this the atmosphere a child is supposed to learn and flourish in? What happened to a bully free zone? Go elsewhere 4 happier kids!

Posted January 22, 2014
This school is one of the best we have ever been involved with. We are military, have 4 children and we have been to many different duty stations. Due to my job I have had a lot of experience with every elementary school in this district as well. I am not sure why this school is rated a "5" on the rating because we give this school and neighborhood 5 stars across the board. Our 3 children that have been there have had a tremendous experience. The teachers have been fabulous and encourage growth in areas that the kids struggle, while at the same time enhancing their strengths. There have been many extra educational activities as well. They have an accelerated program for kids that are advanced, but they encourage all students to go beyond their current status. My only complaint about this school is that we have to leave for a new duty station. Bottom line: If I had to do it over, I would have moved to this neighborhood again. It has been tremendous and I am sad that we are leaving. Semper Gumby. Hopefully we will find a school as good as this one at our new location.

Parkwood Elementary 1

Posted January 10, 2014
I had thought this school was one of the better in the Jacksonville area and chose my residence based on this. However, I am finding this is not the case, unless your child is the perfect student. My student, while extremely intelligent is a bit hyper and the solution is to leave him behind even though his grades are continuously 95 and better. His teacher is excellent and trying so hard to work with me, but the bottom line seems to be making up for last years EOG test scores by eliminating students that might bring down the scores... I have tried repeatedly to volunteer with the PTO but that has gotten me nowhere. I am not the only parent to have felt this, and will encourage others to speak their mind vs trudging through. Had I known the truth, things might be different. So now my child suffers because while he is more than smart enough he cant "sit still long enough for a test"

Parkwood Elementary 2

Posted August 15, 2013
I had high expectations for Parkwood Elementary, after the school was lauded by neighbors. I would describe the school as tenuous. The teachers in the school are capable, some passionate, but classroom management issues are prevalent. They have two people in the class for most of the day, yet lots of things go unseen and misreported by students. The agendas are used to report things that are on par for children being children, which make it very difficult for parents to decipher what s serious and what's not. The principal is ineffective, inattentive and killing moral. During her first term I didn't know who she was because she is so transparent. The front office personnel are unwelcoming. The school facilities are old, overcrowded, and underfunded. The school does not receive title I funds and it should! Therefore a lot of things are deficient, but no one will table the issue or do the work required to obtain much needed funding and school improvements. Parkwood has too many issues- poor management, unfriendliness, ageing facilities, and inefficient funding with no improvements identified in the immediate future, parents you will be better served elsewhere.

Parkwood Elementary 3

Posted July 24, 2013
I rate this is school 3 stars not because of the teachers, most of them are great and try to work hard with students and parents. My only complain is the Leadership, I have to agree with the other parent, sadly great teachers are leaving because of this. The principal has little to no respect for her staff and instead of focusing in the flaws she spends her time making sure her staff knows she is in power. The principal doesn't even attend any events unless someone from the Board of Education will be present. Another great school that could fail due to the lack of good and strong leadership.How many more complaints does the Board of Education needs to do something?

Posted March 09, 2013
The teachers at this school are as dedicated as the parents. It's a nice small school where everyone works together to get the kids what they need. I had three kids go here (one still does) and I can't say enough good things about it!

Posted June 24, 2012
I can't boast enough about Parkwood and the neighborhood. The teachers and staff are supportive, caring and dedicated. Communication and parent involvement are a priority at Parkwood. I've come to know many great teachers and parents throughout our time here, and will be sad to leave the area.

Posted June 10, 2012
After my kids attending IOP and been very disappointed I decided to enroll my kids at Parkwood, what a difference the teachers and staff not only are qualify and dedicated but caring and do their best, the communication is outstanding. I have seen a big change in my kids learning. I regret not considering this School before.

Posted January 23, 2012
I don't even know where to begin to tell about Parkwood!!! This school is so AMAZING!!!! The teachers and staff are so friendly and everyone goes above and beyond to help the students. The parent involvement is outstanding and the relationships between the students and teachers are wonderful. I have never heard any student say they did not like being at Parkwood!!! If you are planning on moving to the Jacksonville area, look for a house in the Parkwood area and you will not be disappointed!!!! Best school in the area!! Not sure how this school is only rated a 7 because it should be a 10. Just look at the test scores!!! Again....AMAZING school :)

Posted January 10, 2012
My older son went to Parkwood from Kindergarten through 5th grade. We've been fortunate to be stationed here long enough for my youngest to attend Kindergarten this year. Parkwood is by far the best elementary school in Jacksonville. The school is older but it's clean and well taken care of. The principal, teachers, and staff are outstanding.

Parkwood Elementary
2900 Northwoods Drive, Jacksonville, NC  28540
Last modified Parkwood Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Parkwood Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.