Bad
Good

I have always liked JCE until school year 2016-2017. This year JCE got a new principle and she has decided our children are not worth learning their names. She has given our kids a number and they are called by their number instead of Jane Doe or John Doe. This discuss me. They use the number system in prison. She has also taken away the kids free play. There is no more kids playing on the play ground or even playing with any type of balls. It's 10 min of walking, 10 min of jumping and then 10 min of free play. Again this discuss me. Again sounds like the way a prison is ran. The teachers are not happy nor are the students. My child use to love to go to school and now ask if he or she can stay home because he or she needs a break. This is a elementary school that gives barely any down time. The kids use to use their imagination when playing on the play ground. They use to chase each other but not now because it's dangerous. In the past I would have given this school a 5 star but giving it a 2 star is being gracious. The PTO should be avoided like the plague. They have popcorn Friday, which was banned by the school district but they sneak it, and want parents to pay up front then decided which Friday they want to donit. So you will pay for a full year but they might not do it every Friday. The positive about the school is there are some good teachers.

Even though I live in another school's district I choose to bring my children to JCE. The level of teaching talent is amazing. As an educator myself, I can honestly say this school has a very high concentration of outstanding teachers. Everyone here really cares about the children. I have heard of them buying clothes, shoes, presents on birthdays and other supports for children and their families. Every time I have needed one of my children's teachers I have had their personal cell phone number and they respond willingly. My older child is an AIG child in the top 2%. In her class her teacher works to meet her individual need and to move her at her on level ability. Even as a high student she shows remarkable growth.

Fantastic so far! We are new to the area. We had a terrible experience in a Delaware school.. This has been an awesome experience having caring teachers with communication skills!

My oldest daughter and fourth grader has been here since kindergarten and now her other siblings are in second grade and kindergarten. If I had any major issues with this school, I would have pulled her out a long time ago and wouldn't have let my other kids start here. But I love the staff and the school. I've been involved off and on with the PTO and it is not hard to get involved and be part of different aspects of the school. In fact, they warmly welcome it. Even though end of the year test scores can be better with the website only scoring it a 5, in comparison to other schools, it doesn't reflect negatively about the school as a whole. Because the school does a lot for the students and parents and make it a great environment.

This is our 1st year in this school, and my son is excited to go to school every day. We have the best teachers and principal's. They are all amazing. I can't say enough about this school. My husband and I feel very blessed to be a part of a wonderful school. We have never had any problems and I would strongly recommend this school to anyone looking for a school where the teachers genuinely care about their students.

Two of our children have been attending Jacksonville Commons Elementary School for the last 4 years and we have been very pleased with their progress . The principal and the staff (teachers, admin staff and janitors and cooks included) are all very welcoming and involved in the running of the school. We've been in this school from 1st grade through 5th and not once have we been disappointed with anyone. We were stationed overseas before coming to Jacksonville and one of our boys struggled with reading and math, as he had studied in a different language. He got excellent tutoring over his first summer and they have both been Honor Students since then. For more advanced students, there is an AIG Program and the school offers a lot of different activities throughout the year (chess club, battle of the book, speech contest, geography bee, odyssey of the mind, just to name a few). We are going to miss JCE as we are moving this summer. It really feels like being part of a family. We've seen kids grow, families get bigger, some left, some are new to the area. The rating on this site does not portray at all the capabilities or the potential of the school.

My daughter has attended Jacksonville Commons Elementary for her last four years of Elementary school. She has done exceptionally well. All the teachers are very kind and great role models for students. The staff in the front office is very polite and welcoming when entering the school. The new principle has made a lot of positive changes for the better. We love JCES and are going to miss everyone there,since we are on the move this summer. Thanks to all teachers and staff. We will never forget.

This is my son's second year at JCE. I have seen a dramatic improvement in this school from last year to this year. With a new principal came new life. He is much more involved with the students and I see his enthusiasm has sparked a renewed enthusiasm in the rest of the staff. My son started to show difficulties in reading last year in Kindergarten, and instead of telling me to wait it out they helped me get him evaluated and on an individualized education program that gives him extra attention to help him catch up with his peers before he fell to far behind. Thanks to the amazing teachers here my son is performing at grade level in reading, something I would never had guessed from where he was at mid-school yr 2010. The class sizes are also a bit smaller than many of the other school nearby since the commons is a more established neighborhood and isn't still being developed like Carolina Forest. My son as well as myself are going to miss JCE when we move in Dec. (JCE is also a title 1 school which all students whom are struggling in reading can take advantage of, this program was also a huge help for my son.)

I thought we made a good choice in this school, but the score has dropped from a 7 to a 5 since the summer and this school year started. There are 4-5 classrooms for each grade in this school, I only have interaction with 1 teacher. I have been in constant contact with our 4th grade teacher to help our child transition to the new school and curriculum and do get feedback from her, although only when I ask. I joined and offered to volunteer for the PTO on a number of occasions, but I don't get any communication in return.

This school is great- the teachers really care about the welfare of their students. I was very impressed with the growth that my childre made while attending this school.

Last modified Jacksonville Commons Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.