Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Avoid this school like the plague. The new principal is never around. She has her assistant principal do everything. They treat our kids horrible, oh yeah and spelling words spelled properly,forget it, Ebonics is what's encouraged here. Kids are not aloud to play superhero on the playground, but reenacting call of duty that's fine. I've seen kids suspended for standing up for themselves when threatened but when some actually puts there hands on someone else they are rarely scolded. Seriously, when someone is being choked I believe that's grounds for suspension. Specific kids are aloud to do why they want and the good kids get punished for it. The teachers that do care are talking about leaving the school. Oh and they somehow lose students. They don't use a name system but a number system to call car riders. This system leaves people waiting on the road to get in to pick up a kid. My kids have been lost on several occasions I'll sit in line waiting for them until the very last person leaves and than they have found them. Who does this? The classrooms are over full no special ed classes so many of the troubled kids are in regular classrooms causing issues. It's horrible. Substitute teachers are smacking our kids but the school has not notified us or has done anything about it. JCE claims to care but only when your child is a local. My suggestion don't move to this area. Find somewhere anywhere else. If you child has a learning spark don't send them here they will tell something the will make them hate learning like you struggle with this or don't read that your not smart. This school is a joke.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

They don't offer advanced skill programs, or programs for kids that should not be in a normal classroom. (Abusive kids) or translators for kids with language barriers.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Principal doesn't care let's everyone else do her work.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Local kids are aloud to abuse anyone and not suffer consequences.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Kid are aloud to do what they want.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Two hours of homework for any kid is awful

I have always liked JCE until school year 2016-2017. This year JCE got a new principle and she has decided our children are not worth learning their names. She has given our kids a number and they are called by their number instead of Jane Doe or John Doe. This discuss me. They use the number system in prison. She has also taken away the kids free play. There is no more kids playing on the play ground or even playing with any type of balls. It's 10 min of walking, 10 min of jumping and then 10 min of free play. Again this discuss me. Again sounds like the way a prison is ran. The teachers are not happy nor are the students. My child use to love to go to school and now ask if he or she can stay home because he or she needs a break. This is a elementary school that gives barely any down time. The kids use to use their imagination when playing on the play ground. They use to chase each other but not now because it's dangerous. In the past I would have given this school a 5 star but giving it a 2 star is being gracious. The PTO should be avoided like the plague. They have popcorn Friday, which was banned by the school district but they sneak it, and want parents to pay up front then decided which Friday they want to donit. So you will pay for a full year but they might not do it every Friday. The positive about the school is there are some good teachers.

Even though I live in another school's district I choose to bring my children to JCE. The level of teaching talent is amazing. As an educator myself, I can honestly say this school has a very high concentration of outstanding teachers. Everyone here really cares about the children. I have heard of them buying clothes, shoes, presents on birthdays and other supports for children and their families. Every time I have needed one of my children's teachers I have had their personal cell phone number and they respond willingly. My older child is an AIG child in the top 2%. In her class her teacher works to meet her individual need and to move her at her on level ability. Even as a high student she shows remarkable growth.

Fantastic so far! We are new to the area. We had a terrible experience in a Delaware school.. This has been an awesome experience having caring teachers with communication skills!

My oldest daughter and fourth grader has been here since kindergarten and now her other siblings are in second grade and kindergarten. If I had any major issues with this school, I would have pulled her out a long time ago and wouldn't have let my other kids start here. But I love the staff and the school. I've been involved off and on with the PTO and it is not hard to get involved and be part of different aspects of the school. In fact, they warmly welcome it. Even though end of the year test scores can be better with the website only scoring it a 5, in comparison to other schools, it doesn't reflect negatively about the school as a whole. Because the school does a lot for the students and parents and make it a great environment.

Last modified Jacksonville Commons Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.