Hunters Creek Elementary

Public | PK-5 | 518 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 19, 2013

This school has been wonderful for my child. I firmly believe it takes parents along with the school to help their child. So instead of bashing a school find a way to be a help. I love this school and I am fortunate for my son to have a great experience

Posted September 19, 2011

My children started going to HCE for Kindergarten and 3rd Grade in the Fall of 2009, They are currently in 2nd and 5th grades. We are military and coming from the CLDS system was a great change. One of the main reasons for our moving off base was the inadequate education my children were receiving @ CLDS. Both of my children are very intelligent and as parents we are VERY involved in their academic and extra curricular pursuits. We place on them a high standard in education and in life. I have found HCE strives for excellence in their students both in education and in life. My oldest is gifted (the youngest is yet to be tested) and he has found his niche in his current 5th grade class. All of the teachers we have dealt with have been fantastic! They all go above and beyond for the kids. The only 2 complaints I have; the lack of PTA and the principal; who in my experience, prejudges kids and doles out punishments without all of the facts just to have resolution. I further believe that after, her perception of them is skewed for the rest of their time @ HCE. HCE Teachers really make the school a great place for your child to grow. Parent involvment is always essential.

Posted July 18, 2011

My child went here for a very short period of time. I was very upset with the lack of work she had. The 2nd grade is on a very low reading level. I know if she had went there any longer she would have fell behind at other schools. Positive - The library was nice. The teacher was pretty nice, the teachers helper (who I think was with the kids more) was not nice at all.

Posted July 29, 2009

We are a military familiy and moved here last year. My daughter was in 2nd grade and had a wonderful teacher. She also loved the art, music and PE teachers too. Next year my son join his big sister as he will be in kindergarten ! We have been very happy with this school. Mrs Dyer is a great principal and was 2009 Wachovia Principal of the Year !

Posted May 24, 2009

I think it is quite funny when a parent comes on here and bashes a school, and the parent has tons of grammatical errors and spelling errors. The review from May 30th 2008 is a great example. This parent obviously has some educational issues themselves, and those issues probably carried over to their child. This is probably a case of the parent expecting the staff to do more for their child when they probably arent helping enough at home. It is hard enough for teachers to help students who have educated parents, but even harder to teach a child with a parent who has educational problems themselves. Harsh I know, but very true!!!

Posted January 11, 2009

I am a classroom teacher and I was sad to read some of the reviews listed on this site. In my years of teaching I have noticed a direct correlation between parents who are active in their child's learning and communicate with me about there child's learning and the child and parents like for school. Usually the parents who do not like the school for whatever reasons have children who misbehave in class and the parents always believe someone else is making their child misbehave. I am aware there will be problems in any school but please remember in a public elementary school every child attends whether they are high, medium or low academically, well behaved or are severe disruptive. I did not become a teacher because I don't like children or want to be mean to them. Most teachers work hard in ensuring the educational needs of our students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 30, 2008

Worst school ever, My child is in the 5th grade and has been to two other schools. We are Military, and HUNTERS CREEK ELEMENTARY is the worst by far. Teachers seem not to care, and the teachers take sides, insead of making childeren feel equal. This school is a joke. I pray everyday that the good Lord above will work miricals on the teachers and staff at this school.

Posted January 8, 2008

Safe school, caring teachers.

Posted January 19, 2007

I currently have a 5th grader and 3rd grader in the school. I love my 5th graders teacher, she's young and full of ideas and enthusiasm. 3rd grade is great as well. My kids are pushed to perform, there is a gifted program if your child needs it. Parental involvement is what YOU make it, I have never been turned away from volunteering.

Posted February 28, 2006

Hunters Creek Elementary is getting a bad rap! It is a wonderful school with very caring and loving teachers. I happen to know for a fact that the teachers at this school try to hold many conferences throughout the school year, and try to keep in constant contact with all parents. If you don't talk to your child's teacher, you are not trying!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted February 19, 2006

I have 2 children in Hunters Creek Elem. 1 Kindergartner and a 3rd grader. I am sorry to read some of the other reviews placed here by upset parents last year. The Principal is doing much better this year allowing for easier participation by parents. Both of my children love going to school and are both excelling in their classes. I can honestly say they both think the world of their teachers and the other staff. I have found the teachers easy to work with. They have a wonderful after school program that both children attend where they have time to finish homework and crafts for the kids. There are alot of military families in this neighborhood and the school tries to assist with deployments and other special circumstances that this encompasses. I feel this school is only going to get better.

Posted December 28, 2005

I am moving to Jacksonville and where I was going to buy a house would put my child in Hunters Creek Elementary. Now that I read these reviews I feel like it will not be the best school for my child. He is in Kindergarden and is reading above a first grade level and rapidly developing as a great writter. I'm looking for a school that will continue to push him ahead like his current school.. Thanks for the comments.

Posted December 2, 2005

I would have to agree with the other parents about this school. I dont think we are angry, but a parent always wants what is best for their child. My son attended kindergarden and half of 1st grade at Hunters Creek. He and I love it during his kindergarden year, but things drastically changed the next year. My son was failing the first grade, and I was not even informed until I pulled him out to move on base. I had a conference just 2 weeks earlier with his teacher and she said he was doing well so I didnt understand it. He went from loving school to not wanting to go, and telling me this every morning. My son is about to go to the 3rd grade and having no problems at his new school. I dont feel that i am bashing Hunters Creek, but being honest.

Posted July 12, 2005

I woould have to agree on the administration and atmosphere of this school .When my son started at This school it was great as he went to 2nd then 3rd and 4th the school became rude heartless and unconcerned with a childs wellbeing. We moved to another state and Id have to say at least they care about the kids. Hunter's Creek and staff need to realize these are children and no test scores. The have problems learning disabilities and with military families around like my son have a hard time with a parent comming and going to war right now. They need to understand this.

Posted May 26, 2005

I have to say that Hunter's Creek Elem did not meet our expectations this year. The school's atmoshpehere had changed this year to a cold environment for the students and parents. I think that the administration needs to work their problems out. I was not at all happy with the change and all I can say is that I hope that it changes for the upcoming year. I don't believe that the parents are using this website negatively but as a new parent coming into this school I would want to have a heads up on what the atmosphere is like there. For those parents looking into this school, Hunter's Creek has served us well up until this year and I hope next year that the school can get back to a fun loving atmosphere with the teachers, administration, students and parents.

Posted May 9, 2005

It is a shame that angry people would take advantage of this forum to vent against a school or school administration. Hunters Creek Elementary continues to be a fine school with teachers and other staff members who care about children. The student's continue to perform at a high level and the new administration has not been given the opportunity to establish itself. Lets take a wait and see attitude before trying to destroy or injure this school because you are unhappy.

Posted January 20, 2005

This school is a huge disappointment! I am a former teacher who, would not enroll my children in this school if it were the last one in the district! My childrens' educational needs suffered greatly while attending this school! My straight A student dropped to D's while attending this school. After being told by the principal that my children were not her responsibility while they were on the campus, I have chosen to withdraw my kids and homeschool them. This is probably the worst school in the district (and that I have ever seen) for educating young elementary age children and our future!

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

All Students38%

Non-disabled students41%
Proficient in English37%
Non-migrant35%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students45%

• SACS
Fax number
  • (910) 353-4425

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now