New Bridge Middle

Public | 6-8 | 520 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 26, 2013

My son is currently in the 6th grade and all of us truly enjoy the school. The first nine weeks are almost over and he still goes on about how much he loves middle school. He has been offered tutoring when struggling and pulled a math grade from a C to an A. Thank you to Mrs. St. Andrews! They are doing a great job at teaching the kids responsibility and accountability. Like skills they will need outside of the classroom. Spirit week, fun runs, and Halloween dances are thrown in to help keep the atmosphere fun. The school is older and it's evident when you walk in, but it has a very traditional, small town, and family like feel to it. Officer Davis is in the school every day and interacts with the students and parents on a daily basis. This brings a comforting sense of security to my mind. We are very blessed to have the opportunity to attend New Bridge and are very hopeful the positiveness continues.

Posted August 28, 2013

My son would be very excited at the beginning of school anticipating all the different assignments and experiments the teachers had raved about but a month or so into the school year some of his teachers would be demoralized and simply handed out worksheets for the students to work on. This was explained away as"some of you were acting up therefore I am taking away the fun stuff from all of you" kind of thing. My son rapidly lost interest in his school activities as you can imagine. Also academics doesn't seem to be honored here. They have an award ceremony with clubs/athletics primarily receiving awards while academic awards are hurriedly passed out at the very end of the night when they didn't even have any actual awards left to give as they had already been given to the club/athletics people. I questioned the administration and was told that high school is where the academics is honored and they thought time was better spent honoring the others who wouldn't rate then.I thought school was primarily about academics and learning achievements but the message is clear here: be popular, be athletic, participate fully in extracurriculars and you are the perfect NB Bear!

Posted June 9, 2013

My child is leaving the 8th grade in a few days and is so prepared for high school. We considered home school three years ago, thank goodness we made the decision to go to Newbridge. They are serious about school and serious about getting our kids ready for high school. When they call home about issues, they mean business. I was always able to stand behind the decisions of the principals and teachers. We love Newbridge!

Posted October 18, 2012

My son gets in the car after school each day and tells me why he loves his school. He has never done this before this year. I am impressed with New Bridge.

Posted October 4, 2012

I went in to talk with the principal Dr. Barnes today about an issue with my son. He was responsive, professional and knew what he was talking about. He also connected me to the counselor Mrs. Bidner. She too was very helpful. As a parent I felt welcome and my student is well served at New Bridge school.

Posted August 26, 2012

Our son will start 7th grade this year. The only problem with the school is that our daughter will be in 6th grade when he goes to 9th grade and they don't honor "legacy" so we will have to take our chances to get in with the lottery again. We couldnt be happier with the school. The teachers and principal communicate, they are approachable, and they have high standards.

Posted May 10, 2011

Hands down the best middle school in the Jacksonville, NC area. Here, the students actually care (because they're the best the area's got to offer) and if they slip up here, they'll be sent off to one of the other schools like Jacksonville Commons where that school will be forced to deal with all the "problematic" kids. There is structure and administration with a backbone in place here...basically, if you can get in (there is limited space)...do it! I am an ex-teacher from this area and know what I'm talking about. The location may be in an older part of the city, but unlike JCMS (which looks new), this school's cover cannot be judged by the outside appearance. A 5 star school...at least for the state of NC.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 17, 2010

Compared to all of the middle schools in the Jacksonville area we were fortunate (lucky) to have our child attend New Bridge for his 7th and 8th grade. The teachers were very involved and helpful when it comes to parent and teacher communication. Having that one on one communication with the teacher via email was important. Our child was both challenged and given the opportunity to express his points of view. The teacher to student ratio was about 15 to 20. All of the teachers and staff were very helpful. The students had great camaraderie.

Posted September 2, 2009

New Bridge is a great school, with wonderful caring teachers. My only complaint is the projects! It is the 2nd week of school and my daughter has already had 2 projects due this week. I beleive that the kids can learn the same material w/o all the projects. However I will try to get my son in when he gets old enough. :-)

Posted August 26, 2009

My son attended NBMS 6th, 7th, and 8th grade and there are not enough words to describe how we feel about this school. He loved this school and just started 9th grade and is so prepared for high school. The teachers are so together and friendly. The principal and asst. are awesome. He wishes that they had a high school as well as the kids that went there with him. It was worth the commute everyday although the bus comes and picks the kids up. If our daughter does not get in we will be devastated. They are #1 in the county in their scores and the kids take such great pride in this school. Go Go Go if you get the chance. You will not regret it!!!!!! Denise Rhodes BEARS HAVE PRIDE!!

Posted June 29, 2009

My daughter attended NBMS for the sixth, seventh and eighth grade years of middle school. She definitely increased her academic abilties under the guidance, tutelage and direction of the teachers and staff at the school. The concentration on Math, Science and Language Arts has definitely provided her the educational background, firm standards and confidence to begin her high school years beginning this fall. The three year experience at NBMS taught her to be academically responsible, scholastically prepared, administratively organized and a good citizen. Our family has a heartfelt appreciation for the professionalism of the Principal, his staff and all of the teachers at the school. Thank You.

Posted August 22, 2008

I LOVED going to NBMS! It was the best years of my life and I will never forget it! The teachers are AWESOME! Everyone should go here! New Bridge is the best!

Posted March 10, 2008

Awesomeist School Ever! My daughter goes there and its the best thing thats ever happened 2 her! =) <3 ya

Posted October 24, 2007

Thank God For New Bridge! Best school in onslow county! This school is full of teachers and staff who actually care about the kids. I was ready to move out of Onslow County because of the school system when my son was accepted into New Bridge and so far I am extremely happy with this school. If you live in onslow county it is worth trying to get into New Bridge. This school is full of extracurricular activities from sports to music and art. The bottom line is New Bridge is everything I could want or need for my children in a school!

Posted October 11, 2007

This is an awesome school! I am in 8th grade this year and all of my teachers do a great job of keeping us on track and making sure we do our best. My mom used to teach at New Bridge so I have been fond with the school for many years. You also make great friends from many counties that you would have never made if you didn't go to the Magnet School. NBMS always gets great EOG scores and they have a pletora of activities for you to do after school or even during school. If you want to know more, go to http://www.onslow.k12.nc.us/nbms/

Posted October 4, 2007

My daughter is in her first year at this school and I am very impressed. This is a wonderful school and the staff are doing a great job. My daughter is doing well and she loves the school pride that this school shows..

Posted October 3, 2007

This is just a great school. My daughter love the school and the teachers. The teachers keep you well informed. Just a great learning environment overall.

Posted July 7, 2007

New Bridge is a great school. I feel safe in it. The teachers take the time to explain everything! I feel great going to school.

Posted February 10, 2007

I am a former student of new bridge. I have nothing bad at all to say about the school. The teachers seemed like they wanted their students to succeed. The academics are great along with the activities.I recommend this school over the other middle schools in Jacksonville.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 26, 2007

My daughter is in her first year at this school and I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful this school is. My daughter loves going to school and is doing very well in this school. I look forward to the rest of this school year and the next two years she has at Newbridge. I wish it was a high school also.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students42%

Non-disabled students53%
Proficient in English49%
Non-migrant49%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students34%

Proficient in English73%
Non-migrant73%
Academically gifted-95%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

n/a
English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

• Graphics

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

401 New Bridge Street