Charles E Boger Elementary

Public | K-5 | 788 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 20, 2014

We hope, for several reasons, this will be our one and only year at this school. My child's teacher is very unorganized and communication with multiple levels of staff have varied from uncaring to rude.

Posted January 10, 2014

I am very disappointed with this school. Worst communication ever. Anytime I have questions or concerns, they are not addressed or taken seriously. I wanted my child at an elementary school where the staff was friendly and welcoming. I wanted my child to feel safe and feel comfortable there. My child hates school and dreads going. It breaks my heart. We are looking into a new school for next year. Time for this school to do some serious damage control because it has an awful reputation now. No way would I recommend anyone send their child here.

Posted July 18, 2013

CONTINUED... We never even got a phone call! My daughter came home completely emotional and frightened. The principal was aware of the documented assaults, conferences, and proposed "solutions" and refused to remove my child from this class! After filling a SECOND formal complain on bullying, we were told we would hurt the school's "blemish free" record and politely asked to refrain from unnecessarily involving the district. Again. We have pulled them from this school and REFUSE to go back. My kids will attend a school next year where the academic scores might me slight lower, but where they don't fear for their lives! I've been as positive towards this school as I can force myself to be. If I listed all the details, you would be COMPLETELY HORRIFIED of this school! I have NO problem giving Charles E. Boger Elementary school a 1 star rating. And that's ONLY sure to the fact my other children finished this school alive!

Posted April 24, 2013

My child is in the 2nd grade at this school. I am very disappointed with the communication or lack thereof. We have older children that and have had many teachers over the years. Our 2nd grade teacher is the worst I have ever had. She is overwhelmed and borderline being abusive of the children. We are moving just to get out of this school district.

Posted April 4, 2012

My child has been at Boger since Kindergarten. During the first two years, my sense of the school was that while it had an enthusiastic parent organization and caring teachers, its academic program was mediocre and lackluster. For instance, I had the impression that the only math my child got exposed to during those first years was number facts. I also struggled with what I thought were teachers overly strict interpretation of FERPA laws which made it impossible for children and families to get to know each other and build a learning community. This year, we have a teacher who has not only gone the extra mile to create a strong partnership with families, but her academic curriculum is also rich and integrated. (To be fair, this great experience also coincides with the school's active implementation of Common Core Standards, which in and of themselves focus on integration of skills.) My child also feels valued, challenged, and loves science and math in ways she never did before. In fact, if all I had to go on was this year, I would give Boger a five-star rating. In other words, the quality of your child's education here will depend on the teacher. Everything else is great.

Posted May 19, 2011

Our 3rd year at Boger. I have a child finishing grade 2 and one finishing Kindergarten. Only really have positive things to say about our experience. The school as a whole has provided an excellent education for my children. They enjoy school and share with me daily all that they have learned each day. I feel they are challenged and given individual attention as needed. I am a working mom so do not visit the school much, but feel welcome when I do visit. The teachers ALL have responded to my notes, emails, and phone calls promptly and clearly. In another 2 years, I will have a 3rd child at this school and look forward to that time without reservations. My experience with each individual teacher has been different, but the quality of education and their safety overall has remained top notch, which is what is important to me for my children.

Posted May 27, 2009

Glad that the year is over. Not much comunication.

Posted April 18, 2009

I believe that Boger is a great school. There is excellent communication and an awesome prinicipal that runs a tight ship. The teachers and students know what is expected of them. My children have received an excellent education and we look forward to many more positive years there!

Posted April 18, 2009

Well my daughter started kindergarten at Boger last year and has had nothing but wonderful experiences there. She had a great kindergarten teacher and now has a terriffic 1st grade one. She has learned tons and both of her teachers had open door policies. I was at the school a lot and never felt that I wasn't wanted there. Last year was the first year so you have to expect things to go wrong. No one but God is perfect. My daughter loves going to school. It has been a very positive experience. As for younger children I have one and whenever I volunteer at the schol I make sure she is at preschool or wiht a family member. It is to big of a distraction having a smaller child in an older childs class.

Posted December 1, 2008

My daughter is in 1st grade at Boger Elementary. I have been very disappointed with the communication, and very impressed with the level of flexibility in academics. So I have very mixed feelings about my experience. It is extremely hard to be an involved parent at Boger. The school does not have an open door policy (they claim because of security reasons) The teachers a will not tell you when your child will be out of routine for an assembly, or if there are visitors at those assemblies or in the classroom. As a parent you are on a need to know basis. Younger children are only welcome if you are visiting for lunch. Forget about getting in contact with other parents from your child's classroom. You cannot get phone numbers or send a note through the classroom-even if you are volunteering your own phone number and address.

Posted September 30, 2008

I have two daughters, 11 months apart, my first daughter attended Kindergarten the first year Boger was open and now she's in first grade and my 2nd daughter is in kindergarten now. I have been very impressed with the school and how they do things there. The teachers are very organized and the principle is always available to talk if there's a problem.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students56%

Non-disabled students57%
Proficient in English59%
Non-migrant56%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students54%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

Field Avenue