Sandy Grove Elementary

Public | PK-5 | 521 students

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

great except one teacher. She diappointed me alot. Thank God my son doesn't have her and I will make sure he never does. Everyone else office staff and teachers have been great.

Posted April 1, 2014

Sandy Grove Elementary is a wonderful learning facility. The teachers have high expectations for students and go above and beyond for every child. Thank you to every staff member at Sandy Grove Elementary for teaching my child and helping him to be a success!

Posted March 16, 2014

I worked at Sandy Grove temporarily and quit during the school year because it was such a horrendous place to work. The whole vibe and feel of the school is very negative. There is very poor leadership and disregard for the best interest of the children that go there. Unfortunately we live in the district. We are trying to move. My child will NEVER go there.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 8, 2013

My school is awesome, fun, smart, powerful, updated, cool, good, great, teachers are smart and will help you, encouraging,

Posted August 13, 2013

AWESOME SChool!! WE love Mrs. Marsh and Ms. Daelyn!!! They have done so much for my child, she has learned sooo much!!

Posted August 2, 2013

Sandy Grove Elementry School is a great school. Most of the teachers are easy to get along with.

Posted September 5, 2012

This is my childrens second year at Sandy Grove and they love it! Their teachers are great at communicating with us about our children's needs and what they expect. They have enjoyed going to this school.

Posted July 30, 2012

I would never send my child here. When we moved here from out of state, I went to the school to enroll my kids. I was skeptical because of the low test scores. When we entered, there was a staff member with a line of children at the water fountain. I assume a teacher. She was yelling at the kids with such contempt in her voice that it made me so angry I went in to the office to discuss it with the principal. BTW, I didn't see anything that warranted her behavior. The office staff could not speak proper english and were completely unprofessional. We opted for a private school. Parents beware.

Posted January 27, 2011

My children attend Sandy Grove and the teachers as well as the office staff are really helpful. I love the curriculm and i love the fact that we can email and have great communication. I love the teachers that my children have.

Posted July 12, 2009

I have my daugther in Sandy Grove and she has been with Mr. Ter Vree. All I can said is that he is a very professional teacher who goes above and beyond the call of duty with his students. He is commited to the complete success of his students and his dedication to teach made a huge difference in my daugthers overall performance not only at school but also at home, he keept us motivated to get involved at school and I know that he is a great asset to Sandy Grove. Thanks Mr.T for your hard work and for making a huge difference in our Kids education. Mr .Rolando Delvalle

Posted July 11, 2009

We too had Mr. TerVree and he was awesome with our son. Thank you for helping us while going through a deployment as well.

Posted June 4, 2009

I have two boys in Sandy Grove and they both have been in Mr. Ter Vree @nd grade class. He is THE BEST teacher out of that school. My husband has been deplyed for 1 year of the two we have been in Mr T's class and he has been wonderful, helpful and very incouraging. My two boys have really grown from Mr T's help.

Posted January 17, 2009

Our son is in his second year at Sandy Grove. He had a wonderful kindergarten teacher last year and first grade teacher this year. He is doing great in school. I feel the school should require every adult to get a pass to walk the halls. I don't want some weirdo walking around with the kids. It does not bother me to take a few extra minutes to sign in the office. I have not heard any yelling in the school. Overall we like Sandy Grove.

Posted August 6, 2007

I worked as the Media Center TA for 9 months and couldn't believe what I saw. The media center was the worst, expecting kindergarteners to sit still and quiet for 30 minutes while listening to a boring story from a monotone teacher! Unreal! As a staff member, I was embarrassed to say that I worked there. The leadership at this school is lousy. This school is a joke. No wonder NC is ranks so low.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted August 6, 2007

I am so glad that my children are not returning to Sandy Grove! My oldest was in the self-contained special needs classroom with Mrs. Oxendine and it was the worst experience I have ever had! The principal raved about how he set up the classroom (as well as the classroom at his previous school, yet refused to accept critizism about this class. Overall, greatly disappointed.

Posted May 3, 2006

My children have been at Sandy Grove Elementary school for almost a whole year now and I have to say that I really love it. I am at the school 4 days out of the week (I volunteer in both of my children s classrooms) and I for one don't hear any yelling in the halls as another parent has stated! And the reason for the visitors pass is to promote safety so they know who is walking through the halls.

Posted August 29, 2005

This website and our school tour with Mrs. Daniels played a major role in why we chose Sandy Grove for our child so I feel obligated to let those who are searching know about our experience. I was very disappointed with his Kindergarten teacher who sent items home last year that weren't even spelled correctly, and was never able to tell me why my child was hurt at the end of the school day. I hear yelling constantly within the school which is one of the reasons I walk my child to class each day, so as to keep my child from being subjected to this treatment for as long as possible. There is a new rule in Sandy Grove that does not let you escort your child to class in the morning. You are physically stopped at the front doors of the school and made to get a visitors pass.

Posted August 25, 2004

My child has been at Sandy Grove since it first opened. It has always been a good school and under Mr. Marston's care it excelled! He was always caring, but strict. He never discriminated in any way. I for one was sad to see him go. The school is not the same without him. These other parents can praise this school if they want to, but there are some teachers of lower quality. Without Mr. Marston there they will receive no support from the administration.

Posted July 25, 2004

I second parent number ones review.I also moved my child from scurlock to sandy grove.It is a lovely school.My child has been to the playground without incident of gunfire and I expect that to continue being backed by a lovely wooded area.The staff has been ever so nice and my childs teacher seems calm and unstressed.I only have nice things to say.I would tell anyone to take there child to sandy grove.

Posted July 23, 2004

My son transfered to Sandy Grove from Scurlock Elementary...I cannot even begin to express my excitement! The faculty and staff are so friendly. Several of my friends also transfered their children and all seem to have much the same opinion. Sandy Grove is a lovely school. The neighborhood is quiet, the crime in the immediate area is minimal...much improvement from our previous experience. The test scores indicate that the teachers care about how well the children are learning. I expect that I will continue to be just as happy as I am right now, if not more so. I would suggest to anyone moving to Hoke County...If you have elementary students, move to the Sandy Grove school zone.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

All Students42%

Non-disabled students36%
Proficient in English35%
Non-migrant34%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students24%

• SACS
Fax number
  • (910) 875-8498

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now