David W Butler High

Public | 9-12 | 2032 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 9, 2014

My Daughter goes to Butler and loves it. The teacher are always open to assist the children when needed for tutoring in any AP or Honor classes. Love the kindness and support the kids have for each other in sports and in the class room. No judging!!!

Posted March 19, 2014

My son has excelled at Butler. A few teachers my son thinks need to retire or go back to school. As an AP student I feel he is ready for college. Butler has a great dual enrollment program also for college bound students.

Posted August 31, 2013

Butler High School is a great school. My 2 boys went to private school from kindergarten through 8th grade and then transferred to Butler for high school. We were very happy with a majority of the teachers at Butler. In fact, I feel the quality of the teachers at Butler was as high or, in some cases, even higher than the teachers at the private schools. Of course, at every school there are one or two teachers who should not be there. There are no perfect schools. But in our 8 years at Butler (my sons are 4 years apart) my children did very well, both socially and academically.

Posted March 7, 2013

I would like to thank all the teachers that I had last school year and this school year for helping me succeed as far as possible. Thank YOU

Posted December 7, 2010

I have called about 5 times leaving messages and can't get a call back from one particular teacher. Poor communciation.

Posted October 4, 2009

Great faculty and students

Posted December 18, 2008

We are new here and my child have been at Butler High since August. Over all, this school is ok. There are too many students and 'some' of the teachers need to retire or change their careers, because they seem to be fustrated and stressed to the end with their own personal problems. Communication between parents and teachers could also improve. I understand they are busy, but that's the only way we as parents can make their jobs easier.

Posted September 11, 2008

This school is a really nice, safe and a great school. I'm a senior at Butler right now and I have no problems what so ever with this school. Butler is such a great school!

Posted April 14, 2008

I have two kids, boy and girl and both have excelled at Butler. They were also 2 totally different kids. One very outgoing, one very shy. Both are at/going to excellent colleges.

Posted November 7, 2007

I graduated Butler in 2007 and i have nothing but praise. I came across this site by searching for the schools homepage so i could find the email of a former teacher. I am currently a freshman at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and i wanted to tell my teacher what i had heard guest speaker from Oxford had said and how it related back to what my Former Ap class had disscussed. Butlers teachers have forever impacted my life. While Adminstration at BHS will stand behind its teachers till no end, the school it self stands above the rest. Not only in student, parent and teacher participation, but also in a desire to help everyone succed. Opputurnities abound at Butler, students must simply take advantage of them!

Posted April 10, 2007

Butler High School is absolutely amazing! I have loved every second of being there. Security gaurds are great, teachers and staff are completely amazing. My 8 daughters that attend there are all currently enrolled in all AP Classes and are doing exceptionally well! Oh my god It has been such a miracle in John and my life! Having 8 is difficult, but sending them to a great school in Matthews, NC is amazingness! :] -Cheri Pienso

Posted October 19, 2006

Well just let me say that I absolutely love the school. I have a 9th and 10th grader there and they both love the school as much as I do. I moved here from Anson County in August and there curriculm is just awesome. Mr. Pusser was a big reason for me coming cause my 9th grader in the band and she loves him. Amazing enough i went from never going to a single school event in Anson County to doing everything at Butler. PTSA and everything GO BULLDOGS!!!catch the fever.

Posted April 11, 2006

I have had 2 students attend Butler High School. I found that many of the teachers are not able to provide stimulating classes that push a child to excell. In addition, I think counseling and support for students is substandard. Phone calls are not returned and the administrations attitude is 'I'm in charge, deal with it'. Students who are self-driven and enter high school with specific college and professional plans at graduation can do fine at Butler. But students who need support or guidance are allowed to flounder and fail.

Posted February 26, 2006

Wow! I love Butler! I am currently a ninth grader and love every day I am there. I am in all Honors Classes and finally feel like I am being challenged. The Fine Arts Department is amazing, with Mr. Pusser and Mrs. Graves some of the finest musical instructors I have ever been privileged to meet. The core curriculum is great in everything from math to science to english to world history. Foreign Language is great too, with Herr Hablutzel as a teacher! The people are generally very friendly, with the exception of the few jerks that every school is cursed with. All in all I feel incredibly blessed to go to such a great school

Posted February 15, 2006

I think that Butler HS could be a better school if there was better communication between staff and parents. Some calls are returned and some have not been returned from weeks ago. The no child left behind is an example how the system has failed my child.

Posted November 6, 2005

Wow, what do I have to say about butler high school? Well its the best school in cms, best teachers, staff, building, security...Overall great! We love it soo much and we would like to thank the principal mr. Richie for giving us a great chance to be butler bulldogs! thanx!

Posted October 26, 2005

We recently moved here from NY. We researched all schools and Butler ranked high on our list. My son came in as a senior and fit in immediately. He loves the school. Ms. Mennitt is a treasure as a guidance counselor. She helped to get all of his credits transferred and to get him into the classes he needed and wanted. Mr. Pusser was a joy to meet as well. My husband and I attended the parent-teacher conference and we were very satisfied that we chose Butler for our son. Great school. Good staff. Good parents.

Posted October 19, 2005

Butler has been a wonderful school for my son. He will graduate this year and is currently 10th in his class. His classes as well has his teachers have been challenging and motivating. He has been very happy his four years there.

Posted June 8, 2005

I graduated from butler in 2002. This is one of the best schools in the state. We are always one of the top 100 schools in the nation. There are fights as there are at every school but these people are dealt with quickly. There are plenty of clubs for students to join and our sports teams are among the best in the state. We have the most National Board certified teachers in the system and our test scores prove it. I hope to teach at butler when I graduate and my kids will go to butler in the future. Joel Ritchie is the best principal in the state. Very understanding and very helpful. I defiantly would recommend this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 17, 2005

Butler High School is said to be good, but it is really unsafe! I am a former student and I have experienced many fights, etc. In the newspaper it said that Butler had around the third highest crime rate for Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools! When you have one of the highest crime rates in Charlotte then you know your unsafe! Butler only graduates 90% of it's seniors- thats the lowest for CMS high schools! Overall I have to say that Butler is on the wild side and pretty dangerous.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2011.

472 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

Reading

Science

Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

417 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 82% in 2011.

673 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

490 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Civics and Economics

The state average for Civics and Economics was 80% in 2011.

523 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English I

The state average for English I was 83% in 2012.

517 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

480 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 77% in 2011.

175 students were tested at this school in 2011.

United States History

The state average for United States History was 82% in 2011.

475 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Foreign languages taught
  • German
  • Latin
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options