Posted April 05, 2014
Attended the new family tour this week and the Principal was so kind. She answered everyone s questions and we were all very impressed by her professionalism and knowledge of instruction. We are excited to become Wildcats!

Posted April 05, 2014
My family has had a positive experience at Weddington. Upon moving here, we met with the Principal and she was very welcoming and informative. She has a solid handle on instruction and that made us feel at ease. Having one student that excels and one student that requires academic support, we have a positive relationship with the Assistant Principal. She is caring, energetic and answered ALL of our questions about how to best support our child. She assured us that the educational resources at Weddington would fit our child s needs and she was correct. The Assistant Principal attends our IEP meetings, is very knowledgeable in the resources provided and has made our child s year a success. Teachers are energetic and committed to helping the kids be successful. My children s teachers communicate regularly and I appreciate the time they spend to keep us in the loop . When I volunteer or come for lunch, the office staff is kind and very upbeat. The school may be older but it is well organized. I hope that the playground equipment is updated soon and more is added.

Weddington Elementary School 1

Posted April 01, 2014
We heard great reviews regarding WDES. Unfortunately, this has not been our experience. The administration is poor as both the assistant principal and principal are lacking in relational and effective communication skills as it relates to the parents. There are indeed quality teacher's and assistant teachers at this school; however, they are numbered. For those teachers that need supervision and re-training, reports made to the administration regarding the lack of appropriateness by part of those teachers is of no avail. These poorly functioning teachers continue to function in their poor capacity. Moreover, there are some serious confidentiality concerns that need to be addressed at this school. I have found the administration and especially the staff discussing the lives of children within the hallways and front office. It is embarrassing.

Weddington Elementary School 1

Posted March 21, 2014
This school is a disaster because of the principal. She does not listen to parent feedback, thinks she knows what is best even though she only has 2-3 years teaching experience, is incredibly stubborn, and has no idea what is going on in the classrooms. She doesn't require lesson plans from teachers, which means they do what they want (which may include nothing). There is no consistency between different classes in the same grade. She hedges questions and won't answer anything directly. If you have a gifted child - forget it. They don't read, they don't do vocabulary, they do far less than the regular classrooms. Although this has been an issue for 2 years now-it's not addressed. For those being switched FROM this school with the redistricting - they are jumping for joy. This school was great until the current principal started running it. It is impossible for me to believe this is the number 6 school in the state based on current practices. This school TEACHES TO THE TEST - that's how they get high test scores. You often even hear teachers say "that's not on the EOGs". STAY AWAY from this school unless you want high test scores with no real learning behind it!!!

Weddington Elementary School 2

Posted January 09, 2014
We moved into this school district because we read all the reviews of Weddington Elementary being an "award winning" school. So far, the only reason I can see that they win awards is because they teach the kids how to test, and that is about it. If your child is in the median, they will do just fine. If they are above or below the median, they suffer. I have seen some poor decision making on the administration side without consulting parents, as well as a complete lack of communication between administration and staff, causing administration to fumble for an excuse for their mistakes instead of owning up. The academics are mediocre, at best. There is a lawsuit between the school board and the county, that is in the appeal process, with $92M in unanswered funding which the county refuses to pay. This hurts the school, the children, and the academics. The gym has leaks that they can't fix, which is dangerous for the students. Overall, I am disheartened to see that this school has a 10 rating only to find out that they are more like a 7. Luckily, there is a lot of parent involvement to put a positive vibe into the school. Otherwise, it would be a pretty drab atmosphere.

Posted October 27, 2013
Weddington Elementary is a great school with wonderful teachers that truly care about our children and has supportive parents.

Posted October 21, 2013
My daughter has attended this elementary school for kindergarten and now first grade. She loves the school, the teachers and the faculty. Each and every one of the teachers are caring and supportive. They KNOW my daughter. Her first grade teacher is VERY in tune with her emotional and mental state and its incredibly reassuring to know my daughter is well cared for and is getting the best education at a highly regarded school.

Posted October 20, 2013
Weddington Elementary is an amazing school! The teachers and parents go above and beyond every day. They care about ALL the students not just their own. My 4th grader loves to go to school and my 4 year old can't wait to be in kindergarten next year. Keep up the good work WDES!

Posted October 20, 2013
WDES is a great school! The teachers and staff go above and beyond to allow our children to grow and learn as individuals. The parents help make that happen!

Posted October 18, 2013
This is by far the best place around for students to learn and grow. Teachers work hard to make sure that each student's needs are met. The principal is visible, strategic, and communicates consistently. I feel confident in sending my child to Weddington Elementary!

Weddington Elementary School
3927 North 12 Mile Creek Road, Matthews, NC  28104
Last modified Weddington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Weddington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews.