Posted April 08, 2014
I have had 3 children at this school during the last two years. At first I thought it was great! My kids enjoyed learning, they were having good experiences. I felt good when I was at the school volunteering. As time goes by I have realized this school lacks leadership. The principal is a happy cheerleader who mains focus is to cross her T's and dot her I's for the next promotion. There are a lot of teachers who seems to not like their jobs and don't care for the "individual" of the kids. Office staff is over worked and not a positive image to be greeted by. The PTO runs this school. They raise a lot of money with fundraisers and it is spent poorly. These last two years have been a repeat on activities, not much creativity. I would prefer the money was spent on the school to improve learning. I wish they gave the kids opportunities and experiences they can't get else where. But we definitely have food at events and stuff that comes home and goes straight to the trash can.

Posted January 15, 2014
We moved my 2 older sons to this school from a private school. We hoped to improve their academics and socialization. We are halfway through the first school year (K and 3rd), and we are delighted with the academics, the community and the many wonderful offerings. There is a very talented, dynamic staff, and there is terrific family involvement. After years of being hard on public schools I have been converted.

Posted May 11, 2013
The PTO is given a lot of power at the school. The focus seems to be on fundraising more than education. I have never personally dealt with the principal, but several parents have commented that she is not easy to deal with. The education is adequate but the students are not gaining a love for learning. The school makes the students miss recess and walk laps for the most minor infractions . There is no consistency with classroom discipline, even with in the same grade level. My child as well as many others in our neighborhood are unhappy at school.

Antioch Elementary 3

Posted May 06, 2013
My son attended Antioch Elementary for the first half of his Kindergarten year in 2011. As time passed by, we noticed a change in him. He started not wanting to get up in the morning because he dreaded going to school. He began having breathing problems, due to high anxiety caused by his teacher and any other staff member because they expect so much out of even the Kindergarteners. I did not like the way I was treated by some (including my son's teacher) at times either. I'm not sure his teacher even really enjoys being around kids from what I could see. I felt bad for my son. This was his first year of Elementary, we were excited for him, and his experience was not turning out the way we had hoped it would. I'm not saying the school was terribly horrible. But there is a big difference in that school and the school my son now goes to, that is not in Union County, or Meck. County, or even in the same state. Maybe things have changed since my son attended Antioch. I just know that he's actually happy going to school where he is attending now and does really well, because they aren't so hard on the kids. And I'm happy to take him! : )

Antioch Elementary 4

Posted February 05, 2013
My children have enjoyed high-quality, caring teachers & good friends. This school curriculum is quite EOG focused. It seems this creates an atmosphere which can sometimes be stressful & dull for students & teachers. The school/PTO is constantly raising money for projects. Meanwhile, Union County cut Spanish classes from elementary schools last year. I wish that taxes were sufficient to support the school better.

Posted January 02, 2013
When looking to move to the Charlotte area we were told what a great school Antioch is. Through interviews with principals and parents at other schools in the area we felt that a move into the Antioch district was the right choice. Since moving here we have come to the conclusion that we were wrong. Elementary schools should be warm and nurturing and should foster a love of learning. In the year we have lived here my children have gone from loving school to dreading waking up every morning. Miss an assignment, walk the trail. Forget homework, can't go back to get it. Talk at lunch..forget it. What happened to the consequence fitting the issue, missing recess for not doing homework or teaching with positive reinforcement. The kids are learning that there are consequences for everything and very little praise. Teachers are always yelling, kids look unhappy as a result. The place is filthy...I wouldn't let my dog into the bathroom there. The only good I can say is that they got rid of the total nut free policy this year so I can send normal kid food for snack and lunch. Strong PTO but focuses too much on fundraising (we have done 5 already and it is only January).

Posted January 20, 2012
This is our first child to enter school so I don't really have a lot to compare it to, but we love Antioch! Our daughter is now in the 1st grade and we have seen the transition of principal from Mr. Hoover to Ms. Dillon. We loved Mr. Hoover. He brought so much energy to the school. Ms. Dillon was his asst. principal so she seems to be following in his footsteps. Everyone, from staff to teachers, is so friendly and caring. As a working mom I can't always participate as much as I would like but I'm never made to feel bad about that. Our daughter is performing very well academically. We couldn't be more pleased.

Antioch Elementary 0

Posted May 21, 2010
My daughter has really thrived at Antioch. The teachers are very caring. The students are well-behaved, for the most part. The PTO is amazing and works incredibly hard to improve the school, and treat the staff and school to wonderful experiences.

Antioch Elementary 4

Posted November 06, 2009
Antioch is a wonderful school! I love the administration and the PTO is fabulous. We are moving out of the area and are so sad to leave this wonderful group of teachers, and parents. I wish there were more extracurricular activities but this is a Union County thing and the prinicipal would like it as well but he has to follow rules. Highly recommend Antioch to anyone moving into the area. Warm and welcoming. Lisa C.

Posted October 22, 2008

Antioch Elementary
3101 Antioch Church Road, Matthews, NC  28104
Last modified Antioch Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Antioch Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.