Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Coming from the UCPS system, we are extremely happy with all aspects of UA - from rigorous academics and small class sized, to the family-friendly atmosphere. We are UA!

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teaching profession in North Carolina is tough. It doesn't matter if it's public, private, or charter - this state is struggling to find and keep good teachers.

Amount of homework: Agree

One thing I really like about UA is the fact that they strive to include rigor in each class so the kids don't come home with too much extra work.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The students don't even have locks on their lockers - "Do the right thing, even when no one is looking".

This is our 2nd year and I couldn't be happier. The teachers are great and take the time to work with all kids not just those that excel. I like the small family environment that UA provides and I'm especially impressed with how they teach our kids to not only do well academically but they educate them on what it takes to be caring productive adult. This is something that the public schools don't have time for and I see the difference. I keep hearing about how unhappy some of the parents are with the recent changes and in the administration...all I can say is you haven't experienced a public school. Nothing is perfect but UA gets us a little closer. We are UA!!!

This is our 2nd year at UA and the high school offers a rigorous curriculum for those students that choose to challenge themselves with AP courses. The staff and teachers go above and beyond to help their students learn and succeed. The students are a tight knit group that have a bond and loyalty to each other and to their school. We couldn't be happier with the opportunities and challenges our kids have had thus far at UA.

I have been a die-hard cardinal since kindergarten. I have fallen in love with this school and it is now my second home! The teachers and staff are my family and a great one they are. My academics are very important to lots of faculty here at UA and they hold very high standards for me. I am only a freshman this year but hearing what goes on at other local high schools, I can't imagine being anywhere else. People say that they hate our school when they first come in, but that is because they haven't experienced the family atmosphere for that long and it is a new and foreign concept to those coming from the UC public school system. I am excelling in all of my classes and my teachers are encouraging me to do better and be the best that I can be at this school. Although I am not a fan of the recent change of Administration or expansions, I am still in love with my school and wouldn't trade it for any other school. I would recommend this school for anyone who is new to the area because of its size and morals. I believe that all of the grade levels and campus' are great and I can tell you this first hand from experiencing all of them.

We have been at this school for many years and I must say that while the lower campus is still true to the original charter, the middle and high schools have taken a serious nose dive. The administration all come from Monroe HS and thye dont have very high standards academically or in terms of character development. Money is spent on staff lounges, leadership trips while classes are now over crowded like the UC school system. Looking for other options for HS, which is sad as we have been hard core Cardinals for a long time. Wake up board and ask some questions!

We have just finished our third year at the Lower School at Union Academy. One of my children entered as a first grader after a disappointing kindergarten year in our zoned public elementary school . As a former teacher in both public and private schools, I can assure you that I have experienced only high quality instruction from dedicated and well-trained teachers at Union Academy. The expectations are high for both parents and students. Volunteer service is required of parents. Good character is emphasized along with academic excellence. I love the sense of community that I feel here at UA. I encourage you to visit the lower campus to see for yourself--it is a great place!

What an unfortunate turn for the worst this school has taken. There has been a recent change in upper management, and it is obvious that this is causing serious issues. We will not be sending our child back to this now awful institution. The teachers aren't qualified, the staff isn't interested in improving, and I would be very surprised if this school still exist in 5years.

Last modified Union Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.