Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 11, 2015
I'd like to recognize not just the teachers, but also the teacher assistants/bus drivers, office & support staff, custodians, and volunteers. It really does take a village, and Shepherd makes a great team. It's great to feel welcome any time I come in to volunteer.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 11, 2015
I know all 3 of her teachers have used their own personal finances to enhance the success of their students... purchasing supplies, books, treats, even curriculum programs for the classroom.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted November 11, 2015
Students are encouraged to reach farther. Many online tools funded by the school are utilized to allow students to move beyond where they are, no matter their individual level. Many teachers have offline goals for students to stretch towards as well. Yesterday, we were working on improving our consecutive jump rope count because we know the first of the year, Mr. Brown's jump rope goal meet-ers lists will go up in the gym, and she wants her name on that 2nd grade list.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted November 11, 2015
Teachers have high expectations. They use classroom management practices that treat students respectfully and expect students to treat others respectfully.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted November 11, 2015
Shepherd participates in many different outreaches to help students develop in these areas. During her kindergarten year, the kinder class collected items to send overseas for soldiers. The school has had an active Relay for Life team for many years. Every Friday is hat day so students can pay $1 to wear a hat and the money goes to the American Cancer Society at the end of the year. Currently, the school is collecting non-perishable food for the community to help for the holidays and in the new year they will have a clothing drive and "sale" where the clothes and shoes collected are almost given away (some items might even be given away - I'm not sure) to families in the school community who need help. The school has a blessings in a backpack program as well, so students who might otherwise have little to eat, get to take something home for the weekend.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 11, 2015
The teachers choose a student of the week each week from their class based on a character trait of the month. These students get their name called on the announcements and have their name put up in the hall for all to see. The staff works together to stop bullying and help the students learn how to help as well.

Shepherd Elementary School 5

Posted November 11, 2015
My daughter is in 2nd grade and has had an awesome school experience so far at Shepherd. Her teachers have all done an excellent job communicating with us. She is reading above grade level, and they have offered her challenges to help her continue to grow... and though her reading level is high, she actually prefers math. I know her teachers have helped encourage that interest as well. Shepherd is a community school. Most of the teachers have been there for an extended time, and it's so nice to be greeted by name by many staff members. My daughter loves that all the classrooms have projectors, so she often comes home telling us about things she learned with the help of the Smart Board that day. Today she wanted to start her homework with the help of Spelling City (.com) as soon as she walked in the door, so I know she is adding technology tools to her skillbank. I'm looking forward to her future opportunities with things like Girls on the Run and robotics as well. I highly recommend Shepherd Elementary School!

Shepherd Elementary School 2

Posted May 28, 2015
This school needs new teachers. I am so tired of seeing the teachers frowning and yelling at the children. I think if the school sent home a teacher evaluation form for the parents at the end of each year they would be able to weed out the bad teachers. I have two kids that have been there for 3 years and I can only say that I've met 3 teachers worth bragging on. Very disappointed with the way the children are treated. I've also seen a lot of favoritism at this school from teachers towards certain students. No way I would ever recommend this school, I am looking into home schooling next year because I wouldn't want to spend my day with the people my children have to.

Shepherd Elementary School 2

Posted May 30, 2014
School is not like is use to be. New principal and things are not the same. The principal can make or break a school Really hate it for the children.

Shepherd Elementary School 4

Posted May 30, 2014
We moved just prior to this school this year 2013-2014. My older daughter is in 4th grade and she went from a C student at her other school to being on A/B honor roll! We absolutely love her 4th grade teacher Ms. Atwater. However, our son started Kindergarten at Shepherd and I have very little positive to say. He needed evaluation for an IEP and his teacher told me she had no idea how to initiate the process. She is far from a new teacher so I went to the principal, the superintendent and the director of the exceptional children's program to get the evaluation. In my opinion, Kindergarten sets the stage for the child's education experience, I can only hope that first grade is better.

1748 Charlotte Highway, Mooresville, NC  28115
Last modified Shepherd Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shepherd Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top