Public charter
Mooresville, NC
Students enrolled: 1,585

Posted December 18, 2014
While my child was at pine lake, I believe it was an okay school. The rumor I would always hear before she entered hight school was, "Don't let her go to public school, it is not a good education." Me and my husband decided to pull her out and transfer her to public school due to moving, and has the same work load, tests, lessons and projects as most of her friends who still attend Pine Lake. I believe pine lake creates a fear of public school that is irrational. One of the teachers questioned my friends daughter on why she is transferring and how it is "detrimental" to her education, which is extremely inappropriate. Not satisfied with this "college prep" level school.

Pine Lake Preparatory 3

Posted December 02, 2014
We live just a couple of miles from Pine Lake Prepatory. I have had two sets of parents who took their children out of then Private School my children attend to go to PLP. Within 6 months they were back at our school. They indicated the education was lacking and did not meet their expectations of where their children where originally at. Yes, I am sure PLP offers a much better education then public schools but does not compare to the education your child would receive at a private school.

Pine Lake Preparatory 4

Posted December 01, 2014
If you are listening to the following comments about the End of the year tests then LISTEN. The grades decreasing is an overall trend across North Carolina. Look at any other school in the state and they are experiencing the same thing, except we still maintain an average much higher than the states. Yes the fund raising never ends. Yes the arrival and dismal is very badly planned, but if those are your reasons then you don't care enough for your child to get the best possible education.

Posted October 26, 2014
Why are the issues not being addressed by the administration? Why are the test scores dropping so dramatically and nothing is being done? The only content parents are those in favor with the administration because of the vast sums of money they give to the school to assure their children do well. I was hopeful that some of the issues were going to be addressed after so many students left last year but no one seems to care. My children will be leaving at the end of this year because of terrible teaching, disorganization, and the disaster that exists in just trying to get them into the building safely. I just cannot imagine how long it is going to take until someone does something about the severe problems at Pine Lake.
8 people found this helpful

Posted October 25, 2014
We have two boys in school at PLP; one in 10th grade and the other in 7th grade. Both started at the school eight years ago as the school began, and we were delighted to be able to move them from the lesser quality neighborhood public schools in northern Mecklenburg County, that have their share of drug, behavior, and other problems. Our experience has been overwhelmingly positive, even as we experienced the growing pains of building development and construction, a change in head of school, and yes, periodic fundraising to build new facilities. Today, the school has expanded to include an arts center, athletic practice field, and athletic building, and planning is underway for a full-sized athletic field and a STEM building. We are very pleased with the quality of education our children are receiving, the level of engagement and talent of most of the faculty, and the atmosphere of "community" that is fostered there.

Posted October 09, 2014
PLP is a great school. As with any school, or anything in life, you are always going to have problems. There are always learning curses to be experienced in anything. However, some of the reviews on this site just seem to be people who have had a bad experience and want to whine about it. I currently have three children at PLP, two in HS (one is a senior) and one in the LS. I can absolutely tell you that my senior is thoroughly prepared for college and that her teachers have went above and beyond what is expected. Do I think that my child could have obtained her 4.8 GPA elsewhere? Absolutely. Would it have been as hard and enriching as the education that she has received at PLP? Absolutely not. I rest assured everyday that my children are in a safe and nurturing environment and know that the teachers and administrators care about each and every student.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 29, 2014
I have two girls, one in lower (3rd) and one in middle (6th). We have been part of this school since the new campus was built in 2008. PLP not only offers exceptional academic opportunities, it is a true community where most parents are involved. Passionate teachers and parent involvement is why PLP has 3500 students on the wait list. This school is a model for other schools and does it all with 13% less funding than a traditional public school. PROUD TO BE @ PLP!

Posted August 21, 2014
Traffic Mess/disorganization! One week in school, and school emails abound trying to issue damage control to their inefficient student drop-off planning. After 6+ years on the new campus, it's clear between the Admin planners and school structure, there is no relief in sight. Parents are impatient, confused, LS students take the sidewalk down from US, often coming w/in inches of cars. The sidewalk is narrow and so close to traffic. Student's are leaving already for other schools. Admin needs to change! Poor communications and disorganization!
6 people found this helpful

Posted March 24, 2014
I receive the updates not this school as we are currently on the wait list. I must say part of me is wondering why we would even contemplate this school, after reading some of the reviews. I think we parents get caught up in the idea of "winning the lottery" and "getting our kids in a charter school" we forget to really do some real research on what the charter school stands for. This particular charter school appears to be suffering in many areas, and although we are high up in the lottery (top 10 for our grade) we will be declining a spot. There is more to school than winning a lottery and I feel confident this school is not going to meet our needs.
6 people found this helpful

Posted March 23, 2014
Thank you, thank you, thank you to the parents who have had the courage to post honest reviews on this site! I have felt for a long time that someone needs to shine a light on the serious issues at Pine Lake. The test scores alone should be reason enough for a total makeover of this school. To understand the mentality at the school one only has to read the post accusing those who post negative reviews of the school of being bullies. No, we are not bullies, just concerned parents who are appalled that action has not been taken by the school board to change this school. It is a daily nightmare with the traffic problems at the school, unending requests for donations, the inability to communicate with teachers and the other issues previously mentioned. Forget everything except academics which should be the first thing anyone looks at when choosing a school. This school is failing miserably and earns a grade of F. We are happy to be moving our children to another school next year.
9 people found this helpful

Pine Lake Preparatory
104 Yellow Wood Circle, Mooresville, NC  28117
Last modified Pine Lake Preparatory is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pine Lake Preparatory Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 135 reviews. Top