Mountain Island Charter School 3

Posted May 16, 2014
I have two kids at MICS..8th grade and 10th grade. I do not agree with the previous posts about diversity. It is too diverse for me.. Our experience this first year has been both good and bad. 8th grader, awesome year. Virtually no complaints. The administration is very approachable, great people. The 10th grader...not so good. The kids in 10th grade have behavioral and social issues, constantly a distraction and the school seems afraid to discipline. The dean of students just gives them a good talkin too- a real joke. There is a high school teacher teaching 2 core classes who has mental health issues and desperately needs to be replaced. if they would fix the discipline problems- deport the kids that can't tow the line and get some quality teachers in the highschool, it could be great. Highschool does not match the rest of the school.

Posted April 29, 2014
I am getting ready to register my son for kindergarten in the next couple weeks and so far I am very happy with my experience with MICS. They have answered my questions in a timely manner, they have always been pleasant to deal with and shown me nothing but respect. I have had experiences with other charter schools where they were pushy and rude. I am eager to see what happens in the fall at MICS.

Mountain Island Charter School 1

Posted April 26, 2014
MICS was a terrible place to work! The teachers are expected to write unrealistic lesson plans with overtly detailed report cards. Several teachers have left the teaching field completely after working there. Unless you have a "colt" like mentality, your life will be challenging! They (board and administration) are "creative" with finances and can't be trusted. I left for a better situation and have been much happier since. The turnover of staff is less than desirable and more people are unhappy than happy. Most parents keep kids there as a better of two evils (community school is worse than MICS) and a place holder until they can get into a better charter school. Looks are deceiving and there are much better charter programs available. I WOULD NOT send my own children there!

Mountain Island Charter School 5

Posted November 14, 2013
This is a wonderful school.My grandson has been there Two years.He has one of the best teachers that he has ever had.Mrs.Amy takes extra time to make sure he is working at his level.He has struggled in the public school.Here he is Learning and not just being left behind.We know all his teachers are working together to make sure he feels like everyone else.I love knowing the teachers care about him.We are so glad he is at this school.

Mountain Island Charter School 5

Posted September 13, 2013
MICS has fostered an amazing energetic environment of teachers, staff, and families that work together for the good of each student who attends. The Admins have developed systems that allow teachers to work smarter, and not necessarily harder. There is a strong emphasis on leadership, service, and building character traits among all students. The parent volunteers are amazing and offer much support! Academic test scores are good. Behavior is much better than surrounding schools. Students are learning Spanish, using Chrome books, and running mock elections for Pres of the USA. Athletics are growing, and many new kinds of teams are being added each year. The arts are lovely here. The Spirit assemblies, Raptor Runs, and service projects bring the school together.It feels more like a family than a school. Each year is better than the last. Our Head of school is elegant and personable with passion and a clear vision. Money is handled with diligence and teachers have a better chance at getting a raise or having more planning time than a non-charter school. No place is perfect. But looking at it from the inside out, this school is close to it!

Posted August 28, 2013
For those of you with negative attitudes farewell!! While I will not give this school a perfect score yet, I am very proud of all of the accomplishments. Some people will never be happy. Is our school perfect no it's not but you will not find one that is. Overall I have been pleased with a few small exceptions. My child who is in middle school loves it at MICS. I feel as though the children are challenged and are going to have some upcoming amazing opportunities. Each family has different expectations and some will never be pleased. I have found instead of complaining and jumping in to make things more positive has made me see things in a different way. So remember while your wasting your time complaining to others of how bad everything is maybe you could put your effort towards making the school better and even making suggestions. If we all stick together we can help make this school be one of the best! I am grateful to have this experience for my child.

Mountain Island Charter School 2

Posted August 26, 2013
This school overall is just "fair" in my eyes...unfortunately there is more bad than good. The athletic department is a joke. The administration is worthless. Most families that I know are unhappy overall with the school. Keep in mind this school is only 3 years old, so a lot of these things are expected with a new school, but unfortunately they do not have good people in place making decisions so in my opinion that has to change in order for the school to succeed. The school building plan and facilities was poorly written and has been drug out for what seems like forever.(school is starting 2 weeks late because of this) The teachers are a toss up, we have had excellent teachers some of the best and we have had some of the worse as well. Overall unless my child was very young like just starting school, I probably would send my child to public school instead. I do think (with the right people in place) this school should be awesome in 5-10 years, but not now!

Mountain Island Charter School 1

Posted August 17, 2013
This school sucks. Send your children to the MI school system instead of this charter school. Transferred my children out.

Posted August 14, 2013
I love MICS! MICS was a God send for us. I have a son who started in 9th grade being antisocial and withdrawn.His Teachers and peers brought him out of his shell and he loves school now. My son is very involved and his Teachers have been awesome. I wouldn't want him to go to any other school.

Posted May 23, 2013
This school is a great place to be! Parents are extremely involved (sometimes a little too much, but almost always with good intentions) and teachers here are excited to teach in engaging ways. They care. Though the costs (hot lunches, events, fund-raising, etc) can get obnoxious, it's worth it for the peace of mind that students are safe, learning, and growing in a positive environment. The school is very new, so there are issues that are always being worked out. Overall, MICS is an excellent school! And for those concerned about diversity/race/classism, that's absolutely not the case. There are numerous African American families (and other races, cultures, and ethnicity) represented at MICS and their families are given an equal opportunity to be involved.

Mountain Island Charter School
13440 Lucia Riverbend Highway, Mount Holly, NC  28120
Last modified Mountain Island Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mountain Island Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews.