Bad
Good

West Craven Middle it is an alright school but some of the teachers don't teach very well to get the students attention but this is an cool school.

Skinny jeans are NOT permitted; however, you MAY wear your "bellbottoms" so tight around the hips & buttocks that one can see the outline of the pockets linings. You may NOT wear skirts - mini or otherwise - with leggings under them; however, you may wear skirts with NOTHING under them other than your undergarments. What imbicile is making up this dress code?! When we questioned the no leggings under skirts rule we were told that it was in place to prohibit "young ladies" from wearing micro minis to school because they had leggings under them. Well, I'm sorry, but are not the teachers able to send children dressed inappropriately to the office, or in the case of West Craven Middle School, to the In School Suspension Office, to phone their parents for something more appropriate? I mean, they had absolutely NO issue with picking up the phone to call and inform us that our child had been caught, for a second time, chewing gum in class. How hard could it be to do the same in regard to inappropriate attire? The school seems a tad to obsessed with insignificant daily occurences & not concerned enough with the educational standards of their faculty! Is it more important (cont.)

This is a great School and my child loves it because of how many sports that my child plays and loves.

I've not encountered the problems I anticipated considering this is a middle school and reputation it had five years ago. Overall, I've been pleased with the school. However, the current principal is not parent nor student 'friendly'. It's all but impossible to speak with her. She seems to want to be an administrator from behind a wall and leave all the contact to others.

I think WCMS is a school that you have to go there before you like it. I know as an upcoming student, when my school took a tour of WCMS I absolutly did not approve of going there. But once you think on it a while you really see they are trying the best they can over there to make the school the best it can be. Uniforms, New princable, etc. Those are all good ideas and I think once we take time to polish the school up it will be very nice.Now I know that the scores are not the best, now that may be because some students aren't trying. Teachers there next year might want to try fun teaching methods, or just taking time with certain students to give them the help they need. WCMS really could be a nice school. If we all try to contribute!

WCMS is in Dire Need of leadership.They think the answer is Uniforms..when in reality leadership is a Big Problem! Right to start with, they send us a new principal that wasn't anywhere around during the orientation. I have 4 children, & go to every orientation, and this was a first for me.The assistant principls are great.young, caring, & know where most of these kids are coming from..They have to deal with teachers that send the kids out of the classroom for minor offenses. And this is the only middle school I have ever seen that does't give kids homework.. Your child can have a 20 something average in a class when progress reports come out, & get their report card & magically have say a 98 average. I appreciate my child getting good grades, but I don't appreciate you setting My child, or anone elses child up for Failure!

WCMS is what you make of it. You can be as involved as you want. I think you have to keep open communication with your child. I have not had any problems with the staff. They have all been very supportive to my children. I think the leadership of the principal and assistant principals are superb. I have 3 children that attended. One is now in attending WCHS. The other 2 attend WCMS.

Last modified West Craven Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.