Oak Grove Elementary 1

Posted June 28, 2014
We have been @ this school for several years & have seen a steady decline in both student & teacher satisfaction. Evidence of this is the large amount of turnover year to year. The Principal isn't a people person at all. If you are looking for warm & fuzzy - this is not the place for you. The PTA tries very hard to help the school as much as possible but is met with the attitudes of "That would be great, but this would be better". Considering the PTA raises money & tries to help by VOLUNTEERING, it never is enough to make the administration happy. The teachers are great & really do try to help the children. The specials teachers are great, with the exception of the PE teacher. How they can let someone like that be a PE teacher & influence how children maintain a healthy way of life is beyond me. For the evaluation at the end of the semester she shows the children cards & has them describe their actions (jump, hop, skip). Why not let the children actually be ACTIVE!?!?! Overall I have been very dissatisfied with the school & really hope that the next batch of children who attend get a new administrator who actually makes school fun for the children. This is actually possible!

Posted April 29, 2014
We love this school. My daughter seems to be adjusting well in Track 2 and love loves her teacher Ms. Eggers, who has been teaching for 17 years in second grade. She goes above and beyond to ensure that her students are well taught and provides enrichment activities, likea class play, as well as field trips to Yates Mill. The students learned square dancing and take Spanish three times per week. My daughter starts kindergarten in July and I hope and pray she has a teacher like Ms Eggers. The staff in the front office are wonderful and very responsive to student needs. The PTA is strong and have activities like the annual Science fair that 2nd graders and up may participate in. There are behavior bucks as an incentive in my daughters class for good behavior. There is zero tolerance for bullying. Overall, the school has a great vibe and I continue to be pleased by Ms Eggers approach to common core. She embraces the common core with elegance, and does not appear flustered by it, like a previous school my daughter attended.

Posted April 28, 2014
Oak Grove has a strong PTA which helps facilitate the educational experience of the students. There has been a movement to help the children make healthy choices with foods and exercise in fun ways.

Posted March 18, 2014
I want to say that my son has gone to Oak Grove for 4 years and this year I look back and realize how amazing the staff is at meeting my son's needs. In the past years the CCR staff was very negative but with new teachers it is a truly a positive experience. They are all very supportive to parents and have open comminication, and work well together to come up with solutions and interventions. The CCR teacher we have has classroom experience so she understands the regular classroom teachers needs and works so well to get my child on benchmark. I am very pleased with the administrative decisions and parent involvement in this school. This is the first year that I am taking the time to inform parents that if your child is struggling the child is looked at as a person, not a test score.

Posted January 06, 2014
Oak Grove strives for a nurturing environment while teaching skills and academics. The policies in place for safety and anti bullying are great. Special needs are addressed and when concerns arise they are handled professionally. I hope to find a supportive middle school like this. All teachers are taxed with large classes, testing and challenges but most of the teachers here seem to manage it well!

Posted August 22, 2013
I'm a kid and I love this school. You kid should come. It is where I met my best friends. I also get a good education and I love the teachers. I also am in A.I.G. So I like almost everything about this school.

Posted August 13, 2013
Oak Grove is an excellent school. The Parents are the best on the planet. The teachers are fabulous. The PTA is amazing and we are so lucky to have such a hardworking group of volunteers to make our school a great place to be.

Posted August 12, 2013
We absolutely love the school! Teachers are great and the year round experience is wonderful. My only criticism is if you have a child 2nd grade or younger, that is testing well above grade level, they won't even speak to you about bumping your child up a grade. I believe this gets attributed to the EOG's. They would rather have strong test scores from child that is above grade level than lower scores from a child that is challenged by their current grade level. They do seem to make an effort to enrich your child with more challenging materials and put them into AG enrichment opportunities.

Posted August 11, 2013
Great school very safe,to say they have wonderful teachers is an understatement. They are the best in Wake County.

Posted August 11, 2013
Great teachers, great students. Proud of what they do and what they stand for. Couldn't ask for anything else.

Oak Grove Elementary
10401 Penny Road, Raleigh, NC  27606
Last modified Oak Grove Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oak Grove Elementary Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 123 reviews.