Bad
Good

Posted June 15, 2016
We have been at Oak Grove for 6 years. My daughter started in K, and my son in 3rd Grade. We were lucky to have great teachers each year, but some of our favorites were: Ms. Taranto, Ms Rogers, and Ms. Singletary, all of which have since left. They were outstanding. Ms. Ennis is another of my daughters favorites. We have had several bullying concerns and were addressed but found could have been handled better. My biggest issue is with P. E. Grades have gone up a bit, but for the first couple years we were there all the kids were getting 1's and 2's on their report cards. The teacher doesn't regularly demonstrate the movements and puts on videos to demonstrate. They have alot of written tests on things that should be demonstrated. For instance writing definitions of moves, gallop, ect. Overall I am still happy with this school, but I really wish they would make the PE classes more fun for the kids.

Oak Grove Elementary 3

Posted September 28, 2015
Great teachers, poor leadership. Terrible counselor to address bullying issues. Discipline policies needed to not impact learning and teaching.

Posted April 26, 2015
Overall we have been very happy at Oak Grove the past three years. We switched from another Wake County school and found Oak Grove to have fantastic teachers and welcoming environment. My children have really liked their teachers. Both had Mrs. Hefner for 5th grade and thrived under her instruction. Not to mention they just plain loved her!!!! I have not had much communication with the administration, except with Mrs. Trippancy, however the encounters I did have were positive and professionally handled. Mrs. Trippancy, the Lead Admin, is the most cheerful, competent, helpful, child-caring admin I have ever met. Bravo Oak Grove for choosing an excellent candidate to be the face of your school. As for the PTA, they seem to work quite diligently to do everything in a top-notch manner. This comes from a parent who is a PTA member, and I use the word "member" loosely, and appreciates all the time and energy they put into making OAK Grove a terrific school. I must admit I agree with some of the other comments about the PE teacher. The grading system makes no sense and an example of fitness is non-existent.

Posted April 07, 2015
We have been at Oak Grove for 3 years now and we are mostly happy with the school in general. We have had two wonderful teachers and one extra special one. I am involved in the PTA and volunteer at the school and have seen how much of a difference parental involvement makes in a child's education. Our Principal is a very mild mannered and kind person in my opinion and she seems to really care for our children. The front staff is amazing! Ms Trippense is a pleasure and joy to deal with! The only negative in my opinion is the PE program. Not necessarily the teacher but how PE is taught. Way too much emphasis on robotic instructions and not enough actual running and playing and making it fun.

Oak Grove Elementary 1

Posted September 27, 2014
Have been at this school for 7 yrs. & WAS the most desired school to attend in Wk County-Now Admin is horrific. PTA has made several efforts to bring up the moral in both the students & teachers-to no avail-it's never enough. Admin puts in place "rules and policy" & blames Wake County Policy-which is simply not true. Sp teachers are great-exception being the PE Tch -she is no role model for PE-I have a difficult time understanding how children from the age of 5-11 are getting 1 & 2's-at this age PE should be fun. The school does not put an emphasis or follow required Wake County requirements for Phy Ed. They are given 20 mins of daily recess, with 50 mins dedicated to Specials. If the PE teacher is tracked out, they lose those 50 mins of PE & only have 20 mins of daily activity. School needs a massive overhaul of the main admin-from the Principal down to the Lead Secretary. Parents should feel welcome when they walk in the school, not asked "why are you here?". Scores have decreases dramatically & I contribute a lrge prt due to the lack of physical activity and "fun" of elementary school. Thank goodness we are in our final year at this school or I'd be looking to change!

Oak Grove Elementary 1

Posted June 28, 2014
We have been @ this school for several years & have seen a steady decline in both student & teacher satisfaction. Evidence of this is the large amount of turnover year to year. The Principal isn't a people person at all. If you are looking for warm & fuzzy - this is not the place for you. The PTA tries very hard to help the school as much as possible but is met with the attitudes of "That would be great, but this would be better". Considering the PTA raises money & tries to help by VOLUNTEERING, it never is enough to make the administration happy. The teachers are great & really do try to help the children. The specials teachers are great, with the exception of the PE teacher. How they can let someone like that be a PE teacher & influence how children maintain a healthy way of life is beyond me. For the evaluation at the end of the semester she shows the children cards & has them describe their actions (jump, hop, skip). Why not let the children actually be ACTIVE!?!?! Overall I have been very dissatisfied with the school & really hope that the next batch of children who attend get a new administrator who actually makes school fun for the children. This is actually possible!

Posted April 29, 2014
We love this school. My daughter seems to be adjusting well in Track 2 and love loves her teacher Ms. Eggers, who has been teaching for 17 years in second grade. She goes above and beyond to ensure that her students are well taught and provides enrichment activities, likea class play, as well as field trips to Yates Mill. The students learned square dancing and take Spanish three times per week. My daughter starts kindergarten in July and I hope and pray she has a teacher like Ms Eggers. The staff in the front office are wonderful and very responsive to student needs. The PTA is strong and have activities like the annual Science fair that 2nd graders and up may participate in. There are behavior bucks as an incentive in my daughters class for good behavior. There is zero tolerance for bullying. Overall, the school has a great vibe and I continue to be pleased by Ms Eggers approach to common core. She embraces the common core with elegance, and does not appear flustered by it, like a previous school my daughter attended.

Posted March 18, 2014
I want to say that my son has gone to Oak Grove for 4 years and this year I look back and realize how amazing the staff is at meeting my son's needs. In the past years the CCR staff was very negative but with new teachers it is a truly a positive experience. They are all very supportive to parents and have open comminication, and work well together to come up with solutions and interventions. The CCR teacher we have has classroom experience so she understands the regular classroom teachers needs and works so well to get my child on benchmark. I am very pleased with the administrative decisions and parent involvement in this school. This is the first year that I am taking the time to inform parents that if your child is struggling the child is looked at as a person, not a test score.

Posted August 22, 2013
I'm a kid and I love this school. You kid should come. It is where I met my best friends. I also get a good education and I love the teachers. I also am in A.I.G. So I like almost everything about this school.

Posted August 13, 2013
Oak Grove is an excellent school. The Parents are the best on the planet. The teachers are fabulous. The PTA is amazing and we are so lucky to have such a hardworking group of volunteers to make our school a great place to be.

Oak Grove Elementary
10401 Penny Rd, Raleigh, NC  27606
Last modified Oak Grove Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.