Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Brooks Elementary 4

Posted July 21, 2016
If you have an exceptionally bright child, this school is sadly not for them. If your child struggles with learning or falls slightly above, at or below average, they will do well. As with any public school, the challenges of cut funding, common core implementation and a need to do more with less is obvious. There is a ton of support from the families and this offsets some of the struggles. Brooks has a great community with passionate teachers. However, I have not witnessed a genuine example of teaching to each students' own ability - a lot is done to make sure all who struggle get up to speed, which is fantastic; it just leaves a smaller group to float through without adequate challenges. New teachers, common core implementation, testing, testing, testing are not Brooks fault, but their motto that, "students are the architects of their own learning" is not something I've witnessed in the 6 years I've had children there. Again, the community is great, there are more excellent teachers than not, the grass may not be greener on the other side, but for those students needing more - because they are above average - the school (and the AIG program) lacks.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted July 21, 2016
Morning meeting and the coached discussion around those meetings greatly support a respectful approach for all.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 21, 2016
In this respect, all students are equal and it's something that's easily witnessed across the board.

Posted June 10, 2013
There are a lot of school options in Wake County. I have fallen in love with Brooks and so has my child. This school has great staff and a lot of volunteers. If I had a complaint, it would be that it is not year round, and that is more a preference than complaint.

Posted June 03, 2011
My son is now finishing 2nd grade at Brooks, been there since Kindergarten - I absolutely love this place! Parents are very involved, and a recent tragedy of two students dying in a horrible tornado outbreak bonded the school community together event tighter. A wonderful school, I can whole-heartedly recommend!

Posted March 24, 2008
My children went to kindergarten at Brooks as part of the magnet program. Their teachers were absolutely fantastic. They cared about the kids and challenged them appropriately. The principal, however, was completely unwilling to address or even discuss, some significant concerns I had. Her refusal to listen to my concerns, coupled with the refusal of the guidance counselor to even respond to an e-mail, led to us removing our children from the magnet program. They are very happy at their base school this year.

Posted October 13, 2007
I am the grandmother of 2 gransons that go to the school. I like the safety rule. How they dont come out till they know there rides there from car pool. Very good

Posted August 20, 2007
Incredible school for all children and their learning styles. Brooks Museums Magnet have a welcoming staff and PTA, wonderful community involvement and hands down is the best elementary school in Wake County!

Posted August 20, 2007
Our daughter is a rising 2nd grader at Brooks and we have been very happy with her teachers, the administrative staff and her progress both academically and socially. We only have one child so I can't compare Brooks to other schools but I do know that I came into public school somewhat reluctantly; however, based on our experience at Brooks we are extremely pleased!!! We also have an incredibly dedicated PTA community that genuinely cares about each and every child at our school!

Brooks Elementary 3

Posted October 30, 2005
I feel that the staff at this school is uncaring and unfeeling. I pulled my child from this school because the teacher refused to take time with her. The administrative was not attentive to my childs needs. I feel that if you have to send your child to this school you need to assure that you are on top of their teacher at all times. They have exceeded in achieving the standards more in a militant way than a loving one.

700 Northbrook Dr, Raleigh, NC  27609
Last modified Brooks Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.