Bad
Good

Posted September 10, 2013
Our kindergarten bound daughter started here a week ago and the experience has been terrific. She comes home tired but very happy and they are challenging her mind already. The questions she asks are far more creative and deep than they were just a few months ago. She has made new friends and looks forward to going every morning.

Posted August 02, 2013
The staff is rude, unwelcoming, inpatient, and not helpful at all. I have not had a good experience with my son in this school so far and he was in Kintergarden. This year he will be in first grade and I want to switch him to another school, but I work so I need the bus to drop him off to the babysitters which is very close to Douglas. If it wasn't for this reason I would have switched him already. Teachers there are so rude and have no patience with the kids. Ifyour going to be a teacher and work with other peoples children you have to have patience and to love being around kids. I am so ready to get him out of this school.

Posted June 21, 2013
My son is special needs and just completed his second year at Douglas. Last year he was in the afternoon Pre-K with Ms Beth, and this year in the CCK class with Mr Cerveny. What a great experience my son has had, and he actually learned a lot this year! He adored his teachers and really tried hard to learn and please them. His teachers were also great with communication and relating issues with me with a positive outlook. My son's year wasn't easy, but with patience and understanding, he came through and made progress, and never felt pressured or ashamed. I also felt when it came to my son's path with his IEP, I was very fortunate to have two teachers that listened and understood where I was coming from and also respected decisions I made for my son. On a lot of issues, we were on the same page, and I always felt supported - by the teacher, the asst. teacher, the principle and any staff I encountered. On more than one occasion I was able to attend field trips and my son's class would team up with mainstream classes. On these trips I observed the other students (who were used to my son coming into their classroom for specials) cheering on and supporting my son!! Amazing!

Posted October 30, 2012
I went to Douglas K-5 and i absolutely loved it. The teachers there seemed to honestly care about how i did in school and my happiness at home. They were very supportive. The magnet program added a lot to the school. The electives like art, dance, and music really made it fun to go to school. We had and extra science class that was very hands on and added a lot to the whole experience. There were a lot of extra curricular activities like Oddessy of the Mind, Lego Club, a dance and art club and a club about service projects. It's a super safe environment. There were never any fights or problems and I never saw much bullying. I loved this school- it really makes you think!

Posted October 01, 2012
I've had nothing but good experiences with the staff at this school. The only problems we've had in the past four years is with one incident of bullying which was investigated & dealt with quickly. All of my child's teachers have been wonderful.They've communicated with parents about what the children are currently studying, they make themselves available if parents have questions or concerns. I have nothing but respect for them. They've been great. The principal of the school is very visible, friendly and approachable. Perhaps my favorite thing is the fact that they have what I will call fluid math and reading groups within a gradelevel. As a child improves they can get moved up to a higher group or if they need to work at a slower pace they can be moved down to a group that is working slower. There is no rigid structure where the teacher is limited for the whole year teaching to the student that is having the most problems while the ones are the top spend that class bored out of their minds.

Posted March 12, 2012
Was thrilled to get my child out of this school. Lack of communication, support, patience, and teaching strategies caused frustration. Elementary schools should be fun, loving, safe, and friendly. That was not our experience here.

Douglas Elementary 3

Posted February 17, 2012
The school offers great advanced classes and student structure, but I have three complaints. 1) There is no computer lab (actually just no teacher) class for students to use on a daily/weekly basis. 2) There is lack of communication regarding the cirriculumn (besides the homework sent home). 3) I feel that the office adminstration is rather unwelcoming and unfriendly (whether I'm there to volunteer, check out my child or join my child for lunch). I have considered transferring my child back to Joyner Elementary, which I highly recommend to any parent!

Posted August 31, 2011
This a a great school. I am satisfied that I transferred him into this school. The teachers are caring and actually show you that they wanna help your child do better in learning and following the many rules they have. I respect their rules for the children of all ages because it forms discipline and helps to control them even when leaving school. I have no regrets in comparision to Wilburn which is a horrible school. A new building won't change the interior of the place.

Posted July 05, 2011
Douglas has been such a blessing. My son is ADD and quite smart. However, he was really struggling in our neighborhood school and the staff just wanted "more meds". All the staff have helped my boy to be above grade level in all areas, now. They seem to understand how he learns and the teaching philosophy makes school interesting for him. We love the teachers, support staff and the administration.

Posted July 02, 2011
I was very disappointed in this school and dont recommend it for anyone.My child was advanced at his other school and challenged and when we came to Douglas it was a total disappointment! They are poor in academics and we are very excited to be leaving!

Douglas Elementary
600 Ortega Rd, Raleigh, NC  27609
Last modified Douglas Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.