Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The homework is challenging but useful in making sure the students understand what they need to know.

My son transferred to Hunter this year. He is a 4th grader and he transferred from a private school. He absolutely loves the school and all the teachers. The teachers are extremely helpful and communicate constantly. Same for the principal. I feel he is getting a much better education as well. He loves all the electives.

My son absolutely loves going to school! He has a smile on his face every day when I pick him up and he says the day just flies by. This is his first year at Hunter (fourth grade) and I am just amazed at how easy and smooth the transition to Hunter has been for him. And seriously, it really was a huge change from his old school (eating in a cafeteria, changing classes, more students...) I was nervous about how it would go (especially given his quiet personality), but I have heard nothing but positive things from my son. I am so grateful! I will tell you a quick story about his first day of school. My son was a little nervous about finding his classroom. When I picked him up, he said that he was not expecting there to be so many kids in the hall and stairs, so he got a little confused about where to go. He said that when he got to the top of the stairs, he asked a teacher that was standing there. But then another boy (a fifth grader) immediately came up and said that he would show him the way to his class. That story just warmed my heart, and I know it made my son feel relieved as well.

My child, an AG student, has been at Huntetr for years now and I love this school. They offer fantastic academic enrichment since kindergarten. With the electives and clubs the kids try many different experiences including chess, band, orchestra, art, dance, gymnastics, and yoga. The principal is great when it comes to communicating with the parents. And the teachers are all passionate people who love the kids. We've had an incredible experience and I hope to send my younger child here as well.

Once you experience Hunter you never want to leave. Instruments, chorus, cup-stacking, dance, leadership, tv, safety patrol and more.

I am a long time parent at Hunter and have been extremely happy with our experience there. Hunter is unique in its ability to meet each of my children at their own level, and does a great job challenging my AG son. He has had opportunities to participate in band, sports, science olympiad and many other fantastic electives! He is getting high level work in all of his core subjects and is being challenged to think outside of the box. His independence is encouraged as is leadership in the classroom and good citizenship. The current principal is very responsive and is providing great leadership. My children who have completed their Hunter experience have extremely well prepared for the academic rigors of Ligon and beyond and had less trouble than their peers adjusting to middle school because of their Hunter experience. I would highly recommend this school!

Anything goes as far as student behavior at Hunter Elementary. During Magnet tours the students seem well behaved and polished. What the tours don't show are how some students run around the school doing what they want when they want. The teachers are amazing at Hunter, so talented and they work with all of their heart but administration doesn't do anything to curtail student behaviors. My son has been bullied by one particular student for several years. The principal says she'll handle things but nothing ever changes. Several amazing teachers left last year and I have a feeling a few more will leave at the end of this year. Hunter used to be a great school but bad administration is destroying it. I'd think twice before leaving your neighborhood school to attend Hunter.

Hunter is a wonderful school, full of caring and dedicated teachers who know how to meet the needs of all learners! For our family one of the things that sets Hunter apart from other schools is that the teachers are truly committed to the profession, many of them attaining advanced certifications and/or degrees (i.e. National Board Certification, AIG Certification, Masters and beyond degrees). This leads to a high level of differentiation within the classroom. We love that our 1st grader has the opportunity for both academic enrichment within her classroom as well as with the K-2 AIG specialist. We equally appreciate the Arts and Language opportunities available at Hunter (Dance, Drama, Music, Art, Band, Orchestra, Chorus, & Spanish). Having 1 or 2 electives each quarter gives our child ownership over part of her school day where she can develop an area of interest to her. The Administration and PTA are very welcoming and supportive of all students and families. If you're looking for a diverse and enriching school, please take the time to visit Hunter.

Interesting posts from the last couple months. Hunter is struggling, with the loss of many great teachers and the 4th principal since we've been there. Leadership are distant and not visible. There is a disproportionate population and test scores are very concerning, with teachers having to teach to the test now. AG kids may not be challenged (ex. some performing arts moving too slowly) while a child with any needs (no matter how small) will fight to receive any services (resources are strained) and subsequently fall through the cracks. School has not flourished since the loss of excellent principal 4 yrs ago, as seen by many reviews up until the last few (hmmm??). I have witnessed many disruptive behaviors in core classes and electives. PTA involved and works hard, but many hands are tied and I don't see positive change coming in the near future. I am a proponent of magnet schools if they have fair and involved leadership. There are many super teachers here, and many that are not. This school continues to fall below my expectations.

New principal, new AP, same great teachers and students,new AIG coordinator who really knows how to work with our highest students (just like the old one--Hunter has been great at that for decades!). You really need to check out this very diverse and very exiting school. Kids come away with so much that is simply priceless and hard to replicate--like critical thinking, a peer group that cares about each other and school, differentiated and targeted instruction, and real independence and self-confidence. Can't say enough about what this school means to my family!

Last modified Hunter Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.