Posted October 31, 2014
Hunter is a wonderful school, full of caring and dedicated teachers who know how to meet the needs of all learners! For our family one of the things that sets Hunter apart from other schools is that the teachers are truly committed to the profession, many of them attaining advanced certifications and/or degrees (i.e. National Board Certification, AIG Certification, Masters and beyond degrees). This leads to a high level of differentiation within the classroom. We love that our 1st grader has the opportunity for both academic enrichment within her classroom as well as with the K-2 AIG specialist. We equally appreciate the Arts and Language opportunities available at Hunter (Dance, Drama, Music, Art, Band, Orchestra, Chorus, & Spanish). Having 1 or 2 electives each quarter gives our child ownership over part of her school day where she can develop an area of interest to her. The Administration and PTA are very welcoming and supportive of all students and families. If you're looking for a diverse and enriching school, please take the time to visit Hunter.

Hunter Elementary School 2

Posted February 10, 2014
Interesting posts from the last couple months. Hunter is struggling, with the loss of many great teachers and the 4th principal since we've been there. Leadership are distant and not visible. There is a disproportionate population and test scores are very concerning, with teachers having to teach to the test now. AG kids may not be challenged (ex. some performing arts moving too slowly) while a child with any needs (no matter how small) will fight to receive any services (resources are strained) and subsequently fall through the cracks. School has not flourished since the loss of excellent principal 4 yrs ago, as seen by many reviews up until the last few (hmmm??). I have witnessed many disruptive behaviors in core classes and electives. PTA involved and works hard, but many hands are tied and I don't see positive change coming in the near future. I am a proponent of magnet schools if they have fair and involved leadership. There are many super teachers here, and many that are not. This school continues to fall below my expectations.

Posted January 16, 2014
New principal, new AP, same great teachers and students,new AIG coordinator who really knows how to work with our highest students (just like the old one--Hunter has been great at that for decades!). You really need to check out this very diverse and very exiting school. Kids come away with so much that is simply priceless and hard to replicate--like critical thinking, a peer group that cares about each other and school, differentiated and targeted instruction, and real independence and self-confidence. Can't say enough about what this school means to my family!

Posted January 16, 2014
Hunter has been great for my kids. It challenges them academically and enriches them socially. The teachers are amazing and the new leadership is wonderful. If your child loves to learn Hunter is the place for them!

Posted January 15, 2014
I am thrilled with Hunter. It is an amazing school. There are so many opportunities for the kids-- spelling bee, chess club, orchestra, drama, dance. I also love that they start academically gifted programs as early as Kindergarten. I am impressed by the staff on a daily basis. I can't say enough good things about this school.

Posted September 24, 2013
Hunter Elementary is the best choice for my son and daughter for their education, social interaction and overall enjoyment of school. My son is now in the 5th grade and has attended Hunter Elementary since Kindergarten. My daughter is in the 2nd grade and she started in Kindergarten as well. Over the past six years my children have been blessed to have been taught by wonderful, caring, intelligent, thoughtful teachers who truly care about their students and their well being. The teachers, staff, children and parents truly believe in Hunter and what it stands for and we couldn't have asked to be at a better school. This year's leadership is absolutely incredible and I believe it's only going to get better year after year. One of the main reasons we originally wanted to attend Hunter Elementary was for the amazing elective program they have. My kids have had the incredible experience of taking classes that suit their specific personality and style and exploring new areas they didn't initially realize they enjoyed. Some of the classes they have taken are Geology, Weather Watchers, Coastal Ecology, Architecture, Clay Sculpture, Blooming Botany, Creepy Creatures and Chess.

Posted September 24, 2013
As a parent I have been very pleased with our time at Hunter from 2008-present. Their have been some ups and downs, but overall our experience has been extremely positive. The teachers at Hunter are great and truly care about the children that they are teaching. There are teachers here who truly have a passion for the children and the subjects that they teach. My child has taken electives ranging from Architecture to Drama to Rocket Science and has loved them all. We have received superior service as part of the AG program at Hunter and I feel that my child is more than ready to move up to middle school next year. I would not hesitate to recommend Hunter Elementary to any parent who is looking for a great school to provide their child with a solid elementary education.

Posted April 11, 2013
I have two children currently at Hunter and have been very pleased with their experiences there. The teaching staff is dedicated, focused on meeting each student s needs, and has been responsive to my questions/concerns. Some of the teachers are beyond fabulous. I m astounded at how great they are. My children have had phenomenal experiences in some of the electives too. Those experiences, in addition to the solid core instruction, have made the bumps we ve encountered well worth being at Hunter. Hunter also has an amazingly strong PTA that supports the teachers and organizes a number of enrichment experiences for the students. In reading the previous posts, it seems that Hunter suffers from unrealistic expectations. It s a wonderful school for a variety of students, but it isn t perfect. I can t imagine that any school is perfect.

Posted March 26, 2013
Our family has supported Hunter for over a decade. We love the school. The teachers are committed, talented and gifted. Jenni Johnson, the amazing magnet coordinator, speaks the truth during her impressive tours. The electives are impressive and our children took advantage of trying new things. After six years of elementary education, our children were prepared and excited to start middle school with the ability to work well with others and a sense of community purpose. Hunter is a REAL world school. Thank you for a great start to life long learning.

Hunter Elementary School 1

Posted March 19, 2013
Unfortunately, Hunter is no longr the school it once was. Leadership means everything, and it is definitely lacking in this school. The new principal hasn't made one bit of difference at Hunter. She's rarely visible, and her style isn't for a school setting, but more for Dancing With The Stars! Teachers are stressed, and cannot provide a quality education in this environment. Kids that are not AG are swept under the rug. The last 3 three years have gotten worse, worst, and worser! Fortunately, my child will be finishing up this horrible experience in two months time, and this place will be history. I would never recommend this school to anyone - AG or not. It has visibly deteriorated at an accelerated pace. If this were not my child's last year I would be taking him out!

Hunter Elementary School
1018 East Davie St, Raleigh, NC  27601
Last modified Hunter Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hunter Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top