Martin Middle 3

Posted February 21, 2014
We've had three children go to this school. There has been quite an administrative change in the past two years. The school has gone from a small gifted and talented exceptional school, to one that is rigid and overcrowded. Leadership is weak. The principal is not supportive of the parents or students needs. The staff is very punitive. This school used to encourage creativity and unique thinking. We are not finding that any longer. Sadly, detention is a favorite tool to teach a child. With the exception of the music and theater program, we are sorely disappointed.

Martin Middle 4

Posted December 15, 2013
I went here for half of 7th grade and all of 8th grade. This school is nice. It's known for it's Visual and Performing Arts which is excellent except for there Dance team which in my opinion is horrible, there not together and all over the place but the Chorus, Band, Orchestra, Drama, and Arts program is excellent. The only thing negative I would have to say is that 8th grade year when I was in Chorus, I had paid for a chorus dress and didn't get it all year, and the chorus did not show any concern towards the issue so for the whole year, I had to wear all black pants and shirt. On the LAST day of school, the teacher gave my mom a refund and he didn't give it to me right away, he was signing year books and made me wait! He did not care at all! But overall, I had a great 1 1/2 years here at Martin Middle School. Pro's: The school is newly renovated. Great Visual and Performing arts program. Great Teachers Challenges Students Strict Teachers Teachers know how to handle bad behavior Con's: Nothing I can thing of.

Posted November 20, 2013
First year in , here's our experience: Student with 3's in elementary comes home with straight A's. Totally motivated by teachers who are young, lively and creative. Ginormous list of electives to choose from each quarter. No bully issues, at all. Absolutely no Middle school transition blues, just complete sense of school pride. Savvy, smart, and fun leadership. Tons of parental involvement. If you can enroll your child here jump at it. EXCELLENT school!

Posted October 10, 2013
I love martin middle I have had 2 sons and 3 daughters went through this school now my 1 is on her first year I think this school has improved much since my first so went there now 20 the administration got better I highly recommend martin middle to anyone.

Posted September 23, 2013
My son is starting his second year at Martin, and we have been very happy. The school offers a plethora of electives - art, language, music, PE, you name it. The principal is wonderful. She is very involved with the children - she attends many sporting events. Overall, we feel like it is a safe place where my son can flourish. My only complain is the French department. I think the children could learn much more!

Posted December 21, 2012
We were so pleased with Martin the first year, but this second year has been a disaster for our daughter. Bullying and teasing runs rampant at this school, and the administration does little to address this other than lump all the kids together, and blame the victim as well. We have heard this from numerous other parents as well, who are frustrated. There is poor communication between teachers and parents, lack of response to emails from parents, and poor behavior on the part of the teachers, who have modeled immature behavior to students and, in my opinion, reinforced the bullying that is taking place.

Posted October 18, 2012
Both my daughters go to this school 6th grade and 8th grade. This school is very good.

Posted October 17, 2012
I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I am in this school. Parents! Middle School is so very, very important to your child's overall functioning as an adult, but unfortunately no one at Martin gets this, no matter how many times they tell you the reason they do what they do is because they "care about kids." This is a loosely jointed, harried example of a public school, not worth the cost of purchasing in the base district and probably not worth your child's transportation time to the school. Despite strong beliefs in public schools, the Martin experience drove us into private schooling. Our child's future is worth that to us.

Posted October 17, 2012
If your child has special needs, FORGET IT! They target special needs kids at this school for bullying and the principal and guidance staff do not care at all.

Posted August 29, 2012
Im am a student here and I love this school! I have met very good people here and its great!!

Martin Middle
1701 Ridge Road, Raleigh, NC  27607
Last modified Martin Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martin Middle Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews.