Millbrook Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 796 students

Our school is best known for the IB Primary Years Programme.

Sweep tile

Posted March 24, 2014

Millbrook Elementary Magnet School is a wonderful place for all children. We are proud of our diverse population! Children come from all different types of backgrounds and learn that together they can create a better and more peaceful world. The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme has been successfully implemented at Millbrook for 10 years. The reason for this is the high quality teachers that work with students no matter what their academic background or experiences are like. We have specialized teachers who work with children who are academically gifted all the way to children with severe learning disabilities. We are proud to be a school with effective teachers who instill in children that continuing to make growth is what is important. Come to our school to experience our family of lifelong learners!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 23, 2014

Millbrook Elementary Magnet School has been my school for 12 years and 3 kids. It is so sad that this is our last year there. The staff is the best in Wake County and everyone in that building is committed to the success of every student. It amazes me when teachers who have never had my son, connect him to me and are noticing progress he is making. The PYP program really encourages my son to be invested in his learning. My two sons who moved on from MEMS are both A students and have adapted well to middle school and high school. This school is more than a school it is a family!

Posted June 10, 2013

I am a high school teacher, as well as a parent of a rising first grader. Millbrook has been an excellent choice. Their Primary Years Programme for the IB program is amazing, the teachers are outstanding, and I am always impressed by how involved the PTSA is. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a highly organized, caring environment, with emphasis on diversity, team-building, along with high academic standards.

Posted April 5, 2013

My son is a fifth grader at Millbrook Elementary Magnet school and I couldn't have chosen a better school. Since kindergarten the teachers have been involved and were clear about their expectations for success for all students. The principal and teachers are concerned about students learning and not always focused on teaching for a test. The EOG does not cause anxiety for my son or parents as easily passed every year. My son will be ready for any Middle school because Millbrook and Parents worked hand in hand.

Posted November 2, 2011

Test scores also don't tell the whole truth. There are schools that do nothing but teach to the test - ensuring wonderful EOG results - but at the expense of other essential things that build well rounded and capable students. Test scores are one dimension. It's something they are continuing to work on. Test scores are not the most important thing to us when looking at schools - everyone is different though. The Teacher survey results were far more meaningful.

Posted October 29, 2011

I am a proud parent of a 4th grader and 2nd grader at MEMS! We have been involved at the school since 2007 when my 4th grader was in kindergarten. We love the school! Everything in life is what you make of it. Some people will always see things half full. I can't stand when people say read between the lines. All children are special and deserve top notch teachers. ALL STUDENTS!!!! The school is diverse. It is what we love!! The children need to learn from each other and yes other cultures. Our school has one of the highest number of teachers that are nationally board certified and/or have higher level degrees. The teachers at our school are very dedicated. They differentiate for all students. Both of my students have been placed in groups to advance them. I have not ever seen them not being challenged. My son is now an AG student because of the hard work his primary grade teachers placed in him. This school is dedicated to finding what each individual child needs. It is what I love about it!! Our administration is wonderful as well. You can write what your child needs to be successful and they try and accommodate your request. :) It is a Great School!

Posted October 18, 2011

My earlier review was not meant to be spiteful at all! I am really happy that other parents have had wonderful experiences at MEMS. I first posted a review several months ago & it was not posted b/c I specifically named teachers that I felt were an asset to the school--doing so is outside of greatschools guidelines. At that time I re-posted a less specific review. I wish everyone at MEMS nothing but the best, however we had a really negative experience. Felt like it was important to share. Besides, click over to the Test Scores & Stats tab. The numbers don't lie.

Posted October 5, 2011

My son attended Millbrook from 2nd-5th grade. I wanted to respond to the negative post. I never saw teachers texting in morning car pool. What I did see was teachers standing in the rain, heat, cold, etc. making sure my son got to class safely every day. Safety Patrol students opened my door and said "Good morning" and "Have a nice day." The comments about the counselors was also puzzling. I remember seeing banners hanging at the entrance of the school saying that they won NC Counselor of the Year in back to back years. Some of the issues the poster brought up are parenting issues that need to be handled at home. Parents love to blame the school for their lack of parenting skills. The AP at my son's current middle school said she can tell the kids from Millbrook Elementary because they are well behaved and well prepared academically. I ate lunch with my son regularly and went up to school quite a bit. It is amazing how well the students behave. You would never know there is 750+ students on campus. Teachers and administration are caring. We loved Millbrook. why wait until October to do a bad post about the school? That just seems spiteful to me. Address it at the time it happens.

Posted October 5, 2011

We are very very happy with Millbrook Elementary. The leadershp and teachers are great and our kids are doing fantastic with the unique IB learning style. We moved from a 'better rated' school that was not putting forth much effor to challenge our oldest with more difficult material. The AG program seems to be well run and our kids are excelling. The only negatives that I can think of are the start time (early bell at 7:45) and there appears to be less independent project homework than I expect in the 3rd to 5th grades relative to other schools.

Posted October 5, 2011

My daughter began MES as a kindergartener and is now in second grade. We have been very pleased with all of her teachers both in their ability to teach and challenge her as well as with classroom management. My daughter is achieving at a high level academically at MES. We have been very impressed with MES at every level.

Posted March 3, 2010

Our daughter is in the 2nd grade and we've had difficulty with the school for 2 years now. We're have applied to transfer out of Millbrook and to another local school. We don't feel the benefit of the Magnet program outweighs the negatives we've experienced. We find it hard to properly express how we feel about the school, but in a nutshell, the academic program seems to be catered to specific groups, to the exclusion of those not in those groups (read between the lines). While it's wonderful to be exposed to new cultures, it should not be at the expense of others. But, then again, the school has certain target demographics and the kids need to be kept engaged. Additionally, we have had problems with the quality of teachers and what seems to be a laid-back attitude about classroom violence and exclusionary behavior.

Posted December 4, 2009

My daughter is in kindergarten at Millbrook and we are very happy with the school so far! Her teachers are excellent, the prinicipal is very responsive, and all of our interactions with other staff members have been positive. The curriculum is designed to challenge students at their own levels and encourage their intellectual curiosities. I have been very impressed with the behavior of the children in my daughter's class and in other classes I have observed while volunteering. I think the Postive Behavior Support program the school began using last year is very effective. I am a little perplexed by the previous reviewer's comments about the program. There are many different types of magnet programs in Wake County. Millbrook is an IB PYP magnet program, not a Creative Arts & Science or Gifted & Talented program. They do have specials, including arts, but those are only part of the excellent program.

Posted September 1, 2009

This is my first year experience with Millbrook Elementary. I chose this school based on them being apart of the Magnet Program. I noticed within the first week that even though they offer a variety in subjects. the one class taken more then others is Spanish. I excepted to see more focus on the arts program. Administative Office staff person was rude when addressed about a concern she could not provide information about regarding Express bus transportation. I was told that no one there could tell me what location at East Millbrook my children were supposed to be picked up from. I was told to ask East Millbrook as if the concern was not as issue Millbrook Office staff needs to be aware of.

Posted May 30, 2008

My children attend Millbrook and I have to say that my son who is in 1st grade was really challenged this year by his teacher and he is now reading on a 3rd grade level. The principal is great there but the office in the office are rude and not very friendly at all. I also miss Mr. Flowers, I thought he was a great principal as well.

Posted April 19, 2008

We have two children at Millbrook, and what I have seen in this past year is a huge turnaround at the school. There is a new principal who is excellent. She brings the perfect balance of approachability and structure to the school. She is supportive of parents and students - and a strong believer in the PYP program. I love the way my children approach learning. Older reviews mention various issues with the PTA but from what I've seen, this year things have really changed. It is a whole new group of people who seem to focus on the kids, and they are not trying to make the PTA some money-making enterprise like the last guy. Every month, they have a family event that has activities for parents to participate in WITH the children. The ones we've been to have been great. I would recommend Millbrook to anyone.

Posted March 25, 2008

My child has been attending this school. I love the PYP program! My only criticism is it seems the teachers lack the control over the children that they should have. They seem to work more with behavior in a day than academics and I have witnessed the lack of order and chaos and extreme behavior issues. For that one reason, I may be removing my daughter from the school. I will keep a watch on things. I really do hope things change as I love the program(s) Millbrook has to offer.

Posted March 17, 2008

I absolutely love this school! The teachers and office staff are very friendly and are always willing to help in any way. The PYP in the school is outstanding. The children's work in the hallways shows how the teachers are busy teaching PYP. The test scores from last year were great. I would highly recommend this school!

Posted March 7, 2008

I'm a substitute teacher and come to this school fairly often. The main criticisms I see about this school are that the office staff is unfriendly and the school is so strict it's mean. With the first one I unfortunately agree- it's very awkward to walk into the office and just have everyone look blankly at you. The second one, though, I feel like I have to comment on. This school has a lot of really difficult children in it- I assume it's base area is not a good neighborhood. With some of these classes, being soft-spoken and nice will get you run over. People are strict at this school because it's necessary to keep order and keep all the children safe. I wouldn't want to send my child there- but that's because I've witnessed too many serious behavioral issues, not because of strict teachers.

Posted August 30, 2006

I think Millbrook Elementary is a great school. I have two children who have attended. One K - 5th grade and the other K - 3rd until we moved. The teachers and assistants are very nurturing and caring for the most part and thoroughly concerned with the children's academic progress. As with all schools, there are some problems, but as a whole there is a family atmosphere. I disagree with comments about unsmiling staff members. These are hard working people who try to do the best for our children every day. Like everyone, they have their good days and their bad. I find it unfair that this staff is being judged by a few individuals that may not have put their best foot forward. Also, the PTA may be small, but they always try their hardest to provide as much as they can for the students and for the staff!

Posted May 10, 2006

There is little parent involvement in the school. It seems that most of these parents think it is a day care. The principal does nothing to reinfore it and he has not even been present most of this school year. Everytime you come into the school you are not even made to feel welcome because the office staff is more concerned about their lunch time. The PTA is all about making money and socializing. Plus my children are always sick. It is so dusty and moldy in the school. I would highly suggest finding a different school for you children.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

All Students33%

Proficient in English37%
Non-migrant30%
Academically gifted91%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students50%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 70%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Gifted specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
French
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Student newspaper

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Girls on the run

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Paula Trantham
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (919) 850-8709

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Inquiry based, Service Learning
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • French
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Submit your application by

February 09, 2014

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
East Millbrook MYP Middle School