Posted July 26, 2014
We have been a part of the Stough family for 5 years. My two children love the school and we are proud to say they are Stough Stallions. Over the last three years, Principal Stidham has made significant changes in the school. I have seen it grow from a basic traditional school to a true global learning environment (and the Chinese immersion program starts in 2014!). The administration and teachers have high expectations of themselves and the students, and they know how to make learning fun and interactive. The administrative staff has an open door policy and is available to answer questions, to welcome families to the campus, and to discuss concerns and new ideas. The PTA is active, strong and committed to supporting the students and staff. Volunteers always are welcome, and there are more family events at the school now, more than ever. Simply put, we feel like a true part of the school and active participants in our children s learning experience at Stough.

Posted June 19, 2014
My spouse and I have been very pleased with our children's experiences at Stough (7 schools years so far for 3 kids). They are challenged with high expectations, encouraged to excel, and taught well. The front office is as committed as the teachers; it is clear to us that teachers and staff love the students and want them to be successful. The PTA is engaged and well-led, and it adds another dimension to the school of community-building and fundraising. All things considered, we would recommend Stough to any parent seeking an excellent learning environment for their kids.

Posted June 18, 2014
We have just completed our first year at Stough and my husband and I are amazed at what a great public school it is. The staff - from front office to teachers - are completely immersed in the school and are dedicated to making it a great learning environment. Stough is a global studies school which means that the students learn about our world including culture, people and environments. This is important as our world is truly a global environment and our children must learn to work among diversities. Additionally, the principal has empowered her staff to keep pushing students to exceed their expectations and continue learning as opposed to teaching to the lowest level performer. This not only helps more academically-mind students stay interested but fosters their growth and development. Additionally, all of te students, regardless of age or level, demostrate reapect and courtesy betobd their years. All in all, Stough is an excellent learning environment and we are so fortunate to be part of the Stough family!

Posted June 06, 2012
My child transferred into Stough late in the year and has found happiness in the school and the teachers. The teachers are nice and help the students to be proud to learn. My child loves to go to school again!

Stough Elementary 1

Posted April 10, 2012
My child has attended Stough since kindergarten; and she is now in 3rd grade. Something horrible happened between last year and this year. The office staff is great, and the K-2 teachers were, too. But the new principal -- forget it. She came on board this school year. At least, I think she did. I've never seen her -- not that I haven't tried. My entire family is active at school functions, and I haven't seen her at any that we have attended. When I have asked to make an appointment to meet with her, the office staff insists on helping, instead. She never responded to the email messages I have sent her, either. This is such a disappointment after Principal Keech -- who knew each and every student and was very "present" in the school community. My kid's 3rd grade teacher's lackluster attitude and lack of effort are laughable. She does nothing to encourage the kids' self esteem. In fact, she seems pretty good at deflating it. She teaches 100% from worksheets (some of which don't even get evaluated) and puts no effort into "learning experiences" -- which were quite impressive in previous years. NOTE: The teacher rating is only for this 3rd grade teacher. K-2 were all five-stars.

Stough Elementary 1

Posted May 20, 2011
This school unfortunately lacks strong leadership, high standards for teachers, and quality instruction in the lower grades. Many students do not receive differentiated instruction, especially those who need to be challenged. Teachers rely heavily on worksheets and standardized instruction instead of actually teaching kids to think and giving them a chance to practice skills they have learned in hands-on ways. I would not send my child to this school.

Posted January 31, 2011
This is our second year at Stough. We have been very pleased and impressed with the teachers, staff, and atmosphere of the school. There are very few traditional public schools in our county that can also boast a family-like environment, and warm nurturing staff and teachers combined with challenging academics as well. Stough has exciting and cutting-edge resources available to all the children, and as parents we are thrilled that our daughter is receiving a good, challenging education and that she's getting the chance to belong to a richly diverse school community.

Posted March 19, 2010
This is our second year at Stough and we love it. The Principal, staff and teachers are awesome...so caring and positive. The Promethean Boards in the classroom are amazing and we will have one in almost every classroom by the end of the year! The family events are great and my son comes home excited about his day and what he has learned.

Posted March 19, 2010
I have 2 children currently attending Stough. We are in our 5th year at Stough. My kids love their school. We love the teachers! They are caring, enthusiastic, and innovative in the classroom. I am pleased with my children's academic progress. The teachers are embracing new technology throughout the curriculum. The PTA is active, welcoming, and very supportive of the teachers & staff.

Stough Elementary 2

Posted December 01, 2009
The teachers are caring as is the principal, but unfortunately the kids that attend the school are poorly parented. It's hard to find very many nice kids with good morals at this school. It's a shame really because the staff seems to try really hard. If only the parent's paid more attention to their children. My Son has attended this school for 4 years now and it's sad that we are looking else where.

Stough Elementary
4210 Edwards Mill Road, Raleigh, NC  27612
Last modified Stough Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stough Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews.