Bad
Good

I am a grandparent who volunteered for two years in my grandchild's classroom. After seeing up close the dedication and deep daily commitment of both teachers, my view of their character-driven sacrifice for their classes impressed me deeply.

My son hates this school. They are not very nice to their kids. I thought we would be going to one of the best schools but I was wrong. They have very antisocial policy's that cuts children's fun out of their life's. All I wanted is my kid to be happy, and how can he do that in a school that will not let him invite friends to a birthday party. If your new to this school look out your kid will not be happy.

I have a 3rd grader and two 1st graders at Underwood. The principal and teachers are all tenured, dedicated, and passionate about teaching. The electives offered each quarter truly enrich our children's learning and we feel very fortunate that we can attend through the WCPSS Magnet Program. The PTA is very active too!

Underwood is a great school. The chance to take a variety of electives in addition to core classes has really given both of my children a broad education at an early age.

My daughter is first grader at Underwood. We love the teachers, principle and Assistant Principle, and all the awesome electives. They have conscious discipline classrooms and our daughter is thriving at Underwood. All the teachers have been there several years. It is a warm and supportive environment!

The atmosphere is welcoming and cozy, the teachers and staff are top notch. My daughter has had a wonderful experience here. We feel incredibly fortunate that Underwood is our base elementary school.

Just stop by and visit...walking in the door and down the halls at Underwood, you'll see learning at all levels.Not only are basic academics encouraged, but also 21st century skills including the arts, foreign languages, social skills, and health/physical education.

Underwood Gifted and Talented Elementary School is full of talented, life-long learners. At Underwood, students get to explore their gifts and talents and get the individualized, differentiated instruction that grows young minds. Students have the opportunity to take orchestra, band, dance, foreign language, horticulture, technology, physics, and much more. The teachers genuinely care about the success of all of their students and their passion is evident every time I walk through the hallways.

This school is a good choice if you can afford to live within walking distance. If you are looking at it as a magnet option, the reduction in elective choices combined with the poor quality of the administration means it's probably not worth the 1.5-2 hours per day your child will spend on the bus. There are some wonderful teachers here, but the vast majority were hired by previous administrators. I would be concerned about whether the current principal will be able to attract teachers of the same caliber if any of these teachers leave.

This school has gone downhill in the past few years. Electives have been cut down and there is very little choice now. It is a shame because we have gone through a lot of trouble to get our child to this school every day. We have had great experiences with the teachers and it is a shame to hear them feel so frustrated with the lack of support they receive from administration. There is a lack of proper discipline for disruptive students and teachers bear the burden. I do not know how the last commenter could compliment the current principal. I have seen, nor heard anything impressive about her. Inept would be a more qualifying word.

Last modified Underwood Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.