West Millbrook Middle

Public | 6-8 | 967 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 5, 2014

This is my second year at WMMS and I have hated this year with a fiery passion. As for the students, the only bullying I have seen is name calling, exclusion, and a rare fight. Luckily, my friends are kind, honest, and humorous in a way that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. The teachers are another story. I only like two of my teachers and that is for a good reason. My science teacher is my favorite and that is because she always has diverse methods of teaching. Plus, she knows how to keep students on task in a firm but kind way. My second favorite teacher is my math teacher. He is very passionate about what he does and includes humor and games in our learning. All of my other teachers are flat out mean, unmotivated, they don't teach us anything, or try to cram too much into one lesson. Also, most teachers only allow you to go to the bathroom three times per quarter. I think teachers should let reliable students like myself use the bathroom whenever it is needed. Also, I have anxiety disorders and the frustration that the teachers build up in me have induced several panic attacks this year. If you want a subpar education and constant stress and frustration, go to WMMS! --Student

Posted December 15, 2013

I went to this school for my 6th grade year and it was pretty good, a little bullying but it went away. The teachers were good, they gave us bathroom breaks in classes but it felt like I wasn't being challenged. -Student

Posted February 28, 2013

my child want there for 3 years an was bully the whole time he was there an nothing was done to anybody i would not send your child there you my get some good teachers an an there is some very rude to everybody not happy with this school

Posted February 27, 2013

This is our first year at WMMS and we are very pleased. Our 6th grader enjoyed a very easy transition from elementary school to middle school - facilitated by a team of teachers that were positive, nurturing, happy and focused on supporting their students to succeed. Teachers/admin are generally pretty good about sending email info out to parents and respond quickly to questions. The school is due for renovation and that will be awesome for the staff and students when it happens - they have been patiently waiting! It's what goes on inside that counts though... I think this school is a great community that is bringing some new and innovative things to the classroom - we have seen a decent amount of "reflection" and inquiry based learning - very IB type things - SUPERB. This is NOT a magnet school but they are teaching in interesting and dynamic ways because it is good for KIDS!!! Our student is challenged and growing. Strong core volunteer group and active PTA. Keep up the great work WMMS - people are noticing and are very grateful for your effort!

Posted August 27, 2012

My daughter went there one year and hated it totally. Teachers were rude. She was on the basketball team and the coach was always shouting, making the team sweat, and as punishment they had to run 20 laps. Don't go to this school. The teachers RAPPED RULERS ON THEIR DESKS. DON'T EVEN THINK OF GOING TO THIS SCHOOL.

Posted March 14, 2011

I am a veteran teacher in my 18th year of teaching and my 11th year at West Millbrook. I started there with an excellent principal, but when she retired after my 5th year there, the school went into a downward spiral. Teachers were still working hard and cared deeply about the success of the students, but the new administration was unsupportive and at times even adversarial. To our great fortune, Dr. Muttillo was hired to return West Millbrook to its former glory! He has been our prinicipal for nearly 3 years now, and has done a spectacular job of addressing the issues he inherited from the previous adminstration: low test scores, high teacher turn-over, increased student misbehavior, and discipline inconsistencies. Each one of these areas has shown marked improvement! I, for one, have never been happier at this school, and I consider it the best one I have ever worked at! I have wonderful, caring, hardworking colleagues, great administrators, supportive and involved parents, and great students! What more could I want in a school?
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 27, 2010

After reading some of these reviews my husband and I were nervous about sending our child to 6th grade here - but he LOVED it, and so did we! Dr. Mutillo does a fantastic job of keeping the students and teachers motivated and on task. I was concerned about behavior issues and fights, and while they certainly have their share at WMMS, my child never felt threatened or worried about going to school each day. In fact, he couldn't wait to go! Academically, it wasn't as challenging as some of the area private schools, but the life lessons he learned and the diversity he experienced will serve him well in the long run! Some of the substitute teachers were a bit "dicey" and should have their positions re-evaluated, but the core full-time teachers were awesome! WMMS isn't perfect, but we were certainly pleased!

Posted June 25, 2010

i went to west millbrook!! for one year it was ok some of the teachers was nice and cool but others were mean,rude, and just didtn care

Posted April 24, 2010

I love West Millbrook!!! My son is finishing his third year at West Millbrook. He and I have both been so happy with his experience there. He feels very safe and happy at West. He feels very ready for high school and is being placed in all honors classes for 9th grade. Dr. Mutillo is wonderful. I see him EVERYWHERE! I even saw him across the stree the other day checking on kids who were walking that way. The whole feel of the school has changed for the better from the minute he walked in the door. The teachers seem much happier, there is more school spirit and a happier feel throughout. Very, very happy with West Millbrook!

Posted February 26, 2010

Dr Muttillo, has done a wonderful job of turning W. Millbrook Middle into a school that I am proud to have my child attend. As a principal he has done a wonderful job motivating parents, staff and students to succeed. W. Millbrook is a different school then it was in prior years when it was struggling so badly. Our family experience has been nothing but positive. So all I can say is a heart felt thank you to the teachers and staff for all you ve done to help my child thrive.

Posted July 8, 2009

I went to West Millbrook for 2 years and they were the worst 2 years of my schooling by far. Teachers were inadequate except for a few, students weren't diverse at all. I was given no challenge and can pretty firmly say I didn't learn 1/8 of what I learned at one year at Ligon once I transfered. If I were a parent I would try to get your child into a magnet school or something because West Millbrook was the worst thing for me and If your child is academically gifted they will not be pleased with the atmosphere.

Posted December 2, 2008

The new principal took over this school in 7/2008. He is high energy and is a changemaker. It will take time to turn this around but he is the man for the job. Students and teachers say they have seen a huge improvement in communication and committment. Discipline issues are being tackled head on and the environment is beginning to see change. This school is on the right track.

Posted November 4, 2008

I am a new teacher to West Millbrook and have found it to be very positive. There were administrative issues in previous years, however they currently run a very tight ship. I've enjoyed working within such a professional environment. Teachers are passionate and committed, and the students are great. There is always room for improvement, and everyone here seems committed to working towards that goal.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 8, 2008

I am a student in this school and it is wonderful. All the students and the teachers are always very helpful.

Posted March 26, 2008

I'm a parent of a sixth grader at WMMS and this school is riddled with disciplinary issues. The consequences for misbehavior vary by student not situation and this is troubling. My daughter who is a year ahead is well liked but is far from being challenged intellectually. There is no assistance for gifted children and no art is present either. I'm presently seeking another school for her where she will actually learn something.

Posted March 14, 2007

8th grade in the 2006-07 school year is over crowded with severe behavior disruptions in many of the classes. Teachers are told to handle all behavior problems within the team and they receive little administrative support. I've been a parent with children at West Millbrook for six years and I'm glad that this is my child's last year attending this school!

Posted June 5, 2005

I think West Millbrook is a great school for learning. The students are ver dedicated and so are the teachers. The teachers are very helpful. Parent Involvement is very high. Music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities are always available to students. I am very pleased with West Millbrook.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

291 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

292 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

312 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students37%

Proficient in English49%
Non-migrant47%
Academically gifted89%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students47%

Limited English proficiency12%
Proficient in English67%
Non-migrant62%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>95%

>95%
Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

n/a
English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 44%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music