Bad
Good

I have always been impressed with WMMS until this year. My child is subjected to running laps outdoors (in required uniform - meaning shorts) even if the temperature is 30 degrees. I feel this is unnecessary and believe athletics can be performed without the students being required to this. There should be an alternative to running the track in cold or inclement weather.

This is my second year at WMMS and I have hated this year with a fiery passion. As for the students, the only bullying I have seen is name calling, exclusion, and a rare fight. Luckily, my friends are kind, honest, and humorous in a way that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. The teachers are another story. I only like two of my teachers and that is for a good reason. My science teacher is my favorite and that is because she always has diverse methods of teaching. Plus, she knows how to keep students on task in a firm but kind way. My second favorite teacher is my math teacher. He is very passionate about what he does and includes humor and games in our learning. All of my other teachers are flat out mean, unmotivated, they don't teach us anything, or try to cram too much into one lesson. Also, most teachers only allow you to go to the bathroom three times per quarter. I think teachers should let reliable students like myself use the bathroom whenever it is needed. Also, I have anxiety disorders and the frustration that the teachers build up in me have induced several panic attacks this year. If you want a subpar education and constant stress and frustration, go to WMMS! --Student

I went to this school for my 6th grade year and it was pretty good, a little bullying but it went away. The teachers were good, they gave us bathroom breaks in classes but it felt like I wasn't being challenged. -Student

my child want there for 3 years an was bully the whole time he was there an nothing was done to anybody i would not send your child there you my get some good teachers an an there is some very rude to everybody not happy with this school

This is our first year at WMMS and we are very pleased. Our 6th grader enjoyed a very easy transition from elementary school to middle school - facilitated by a team of teachers that were positive, nurturing, happy and focused on supporting their students to succeed. Teachers/admin are generally pretty good about sending email info out to parents and respond quickly to questions. The school is due for renovation and that will be awesome for the staff and students when it happens - they have been patiently waiting! It's what goes on inside that counts though... I think this school is a great community that is bringing some new and innovative things to the classroom - we have seen a decent amount of "reflection" and inquiry based learning - very IB type things - SUPERB. This is NOT a magnet school but they are teaching in interesting and dynamic ways because it is good for KIDS!!! Our student is challenged and growing. Strong core volunteer group and active PTA. Keep up the great work WMMS - people are noticing and are very grateful for your effort!

I am a former West Millbrook Wildcat. I just recently graduated and I can honestly say it was a wonderful experience overall. It exceeded many sterotypes and expectations. I went while Dr. Mutillo was still Principal and I think he was the best principal ever. He really made sure our teachers were interested and passionate about teaching us. I would say I learned a lot from WMMS. Now I know it is known as a fighting and gang type school but not once did I ever feel like I was being threatened. Sure there were fights (what middle school doesn't have any? ) but they were quickly contained. Overall an amazing school.

My daughter went there one year and hated it totally. Teachers were rude. She was on the basketball team and the coach was always shouting, making the team sweat, and as punishment they had to run 20 laps. Don't go to this school. The teachers RAPPED RULERS ON THEIR DESKS. DON'T EVEN THINK OF GOING TO THIS SCHOOL.

I am a veteran teacher in my 18th year of teaching and my 11th year at West Millbrook. I started there with an excellent principal, but when she retired after my 5th year there, the school went into a downward spiral. Teachers were still working hard and cared deeply about the success of the students, but the new administration was unsupportive and at times even adversarial. To our great fortune, Dr. Muttillo was hired to return West Millbrook to its former glory! He has been our prinicipal for nearly 3 years now, and has done a spectacular job of addressing the issues he inherited from the previous adminstration: low test scores, high teacher turn-over, increased student misbehavior, and discipline inconsistencies. Each one of these areas has shown marked improvement! I, for one, have never been happier at this school, and I consider it the best one I have ever worked at! I have wonderful, caring, hardworking colleagues, great administrators, supportive and involved parents, and great students! What more could I want in a school?

After reading some of these reviews my husband and I were nervous about sending our child to 6th grade here - but he LOVED it, and so did we! Dr. Mutillo does a fantastic job of keeping the students and teachers motivated and on task. I was concerned about behavior issues and fights, and while they certainly have their share at WMMS, my child never felt threatened or worried about going to school each day. In fact, he couldn't wait to go! Academically, it wasn't as challenging as some of the area private schools, but the life lessons he learned and the diversity he experienced will serve him well in the long run! Some of the substitute teachers were a bit "dicey" and should have their positions re-evaluated, but the core full-time teachers were awesome! WMMS isn't perfect, but we were certainly pleased!

i went to west millbrook!! for one year it was ok some of the teachers was nice and cool but others were mean,rude, and just didtn care

Last modified West Millbrook Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.