West Millbrook Middle 1

Posted April 05, 2014
This is my second year at WMMS and I have hated this year with a fiery passion. As for the students, the only bullying I have seen is name calling, exclusion, and a rare fight. Luckily, my friends are kind, honest, and humorous in a way that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. The teachers are another story. I only like two of my teachers and that is for a good reason. My science teacher is my favorite and that is because she always has diverse methods of teaching. Plus, she knows how to keep students on task in a firm but kind way. My second favorite teacher is my math teacher. He is very passionate about what he does and includes humor and games in our learning. All of my other teachers are flat out mean, unmotivated, they don't teach us anything, or try to cram too much into one lesson. Also, most teachers only allow you to go to the bathroom three times per quarter. I think teachers should let reliable students like myself use the bathroom whenever it is needed. Also, I have anxiety disorders and the frustration that the teachers build up in me have induced several panic attacks this year. If you want a subpar education and constant stress and frustration, go to WMMS! --Student

West Millbrook Middle 3

Posted December 15, 2013
I went to this school for my 6th grade year and it was pretty good, a little bullying but it went away. The teachers were good, they gave us bathroom breaks in classes but it felt like I wasn't being challenged. -Student

West Millbrook Middle 2

Posted February 28, 2013
my child want there for 3 years an was bully the whole time he was there an nothing was done to anybody i would not send your child there you my get some good teachers an an there is some very rude to everybody not happy with this school

West Millbrook Middle 4

Posted February 27, 2013
This is our first year at WMMS and we are very pleased. Our 6th grader enjoyed a very easy transition from elementary school to middle school - facilitated by a team of teachers that were positive, nurturing, happy and focused on supporting their students to succeed. Teachers/admin are generally pretty good about sending email info out to parents and respond quickly to questions. The school is due for renovation and that will be awesome for the staff and students when it happens - they have been patiently waiting! It's what goes on inside that counts though... I think this school is a great community that is bringing some new and innovative things to the classroom - we have seen a decent amount of "reflection" and inquiry based learning - very IB type things - SUPERB. This is NOT a magnet school but they are teaching in interesting and dynamic ways because it is good for KIDS!!! Our student is challenged and growing. Strong core volunteer group and active PTA. Keep up the great work WMMS - people are noticing and are very grateful for your effort!

West Millbrook Middle 1

Posted August 27, 2012
My daughter went there one year and hated it totally. Teachers were rude. She was on the basketball team and the coach was always shouting, making the team sweat, and as punishment they had to run 20 laps. Don't go to this school. The teachers RAPPED RULERS ON THEIR DESKS. DON'T EVEN THINK OF GOING TO THIS SCHOOL.

Posted March 14, 2011
I am a veteran teacher in my 18th year of teaching and my 11th year at West Millbrook. I started there with an excellent principal, but when she retired after my 5th year there, the school went into a downward spiral. Teachers were still working hard and cared deeply about the success of the students, but the new administration was unsupportive and at times even adversarial. To our great fortune, Dr. Muttillo was hired to return West Millbrook to its former glory! He has been our prinicipal for nearly 3 years now, and has done a spectacular job of addressing the issues he inherited from the previous adminstration: low test scores, high teacher turn-over, increased student misbehavior, and discipline inconsistencies. Each one of these areas has shown marked improvement! I, for one, have never been happier at this school, and I consider it the best one I have ever worked at! I have wonderful, caring, hardworking colleagues, great administrators, supportive and involved parents, and great students! What more could I want in a school?

Posted June 27, 2010
After reading some of these reviews my husband and I were nervous about sending our child to 6th grade here - but he LOVED it, and so did we! Dr. Mutillo does a fantastic job of keeping the students and teachers motivated and on task. I was concerned about behavior issues and fights, and while they certainly have their share at WMMS, my child never felt threatened or worried about going to school each day. In fact, he couldn't wait to go! Academically, it wasn't as challenging as some of the area private schools, but the life lessons he learned and the diversity he experienced will serve him well in the long run! Some of the substitute teachers were a bit "dicey" and should have their positions re-evaluated, but the core full-time teachers were awesome! WMMS isn't perfect, but we were certainly pleased!

West Millbrook Middle 2

Posted June 25, 2010
i went to west millbrook!! for one year it was ok some of the teachers was nice and cool but others were mean,rude, and just didtn care

Posted April 24, 2010
I love West Millbrook!!! My son is finishing his third year at West Millbrook. He and I have both been so happy with his experience there. He feels very safe and happy at West. He feels very ready for high school and is being placed in all honors classes for 9th grade. Dr. Mutillo is wonderful. I see him EVERYWHERE! I even saw him across the stree the other day checking on kids who were walking that way. The whole feel of the school has changed for the better from the minute he walked in the door. The teachers seem much happier, there is more school spirit and a happier feel throughout. Very, very happy with West Millbrook!

Posted February 26, 2010
Dr Muttillo, has done a wonderful job of turning W. Millbrook Middle into a school that I am proud to have my child attend. As a principal he has done a wonderful job motivating parents, staff and students to succeed. W. Millbrook is a different school then it was in prior years when it was struggling so badly. Our family experience has been nothing but positive. So all I can say is a heart felt thank you to the teachers and staff for all you ve done to help my child thrive.

West Millbrook Middle
8115 Strickland Road, Raleigh, NC  27615
Last modified West Millbrook Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Millbrook Middle Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.