Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My child attend Hilburn for 3 years now.. she have a really good teacher at the first year but the principal was terrible, never involved in anything, the second year was a disaster, terrible teacher, bullying teacher with a really terrible attitude around the kids, the principal with no time and no commitment with the parents/students at all. I asked the city of raleigh educational office to transfer my child to another school this year, and they send me a letter telling me to wait because things will be changing. So, fortunately they change the principal and the terrible teacher Mrs. Griffin was kick out as well.. I am having a good impression about the new principal this year at least we can see her get involved in the school activities... and having commitment with the school and the parents. I hope the main office people can be more polite and helpful as well... and do not forget that the first impression is the most important!!

Awesome new principal and many new staff to energize the classrooms. The STEM program and K-8 format make this school unique. It's a small close-knit community.

Hilburn has a nice family feel, and the teachers and office staff go above and beyond for the students.

I've been a Hilburn parent for three years, with two kids there. My oldest has has an excellent middle school experience. The classes are much smaller than he would've had at Daniels or Leesville (though I have very happy friends at both schools), and feel the individual attention here is terrific. My child never "slips through the cracks" and I feel like the staff and administration are both focused more on the kids than they are "administrivia" that can seem to absorb large schools. I also like that my child has had three years of actual Spanish instruction. Foreign language at area middle schools is a WCPSS bait and switch at many schools. They may OFFER a language, but at some middle schools, unless your child had elementary instruction in that language, they are not eligible to take it in middle school. (That's a question to ask if you are weighing middle school options.) My child is already taking Spanish 1for high school credit because of the good instruction at Hilburn. That is a real benefit, and there is also a Spanish 1 Class trip to Spain planned for the end of the year. Yes, Spain. I'm also a fan of the Hilburn Elementary program. We've not had a bad teacher in 3 years. The teachers have all been great, but each in his or her own way. I have to respectfully disagree with the other parent who had an issue with the administration concerning a child with a learning disability. My younger child han issue last year and I found the assistant principal and guidance counselor to both be professional and caring, and felt like they did what I needed them to do. I will explain that I never showed up without an appointment and was always clear with what I wanted from them, so that may account for my sense of satisfaction. My complaints are minor- the kids eat lunch too early, and the teachers all use three different websites with a gazillion different passwords, so it's a challenge to keep it straight. The PTA is active and gives a lot of money to the school (even providing things that I think WCPSS should), but that's a good thing. Overall, I reccomend parents look at Hilburn if they are looking for an excellent STEM program for their elementary kids, and a superior Spanish program (and small classes and attentive teachers) for middle school. Hope that's helpful.

I love this school. I think the teachers and staff are very friendly and care about the students' education. I have two kids. One is in kindergarten and the other is in first grade. I've had nothing but good experiences. The progress that my first grader has made since kindergarten is phenomenal. I don't even want to move to another location because I don't want to switch schools. I would highly recommend this school.

Hilburn Academy is NOT a good school if your child is in a special needs, and If they have a learning disability they're awful.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have had the complete opposite experience at Hilburn Academy. The front office staff has always been friendly and helpful. The carpool teachers greeted us every morning and helped younger kids get out of the car when needed. The teachers have been wonderful including all the specialist ones. My children have enjoyed going to school there and have done well academically. I have volunteered for various things and have found the teachers and staff to be very appreciative of all the PTA and parent volunteers do. My kids have made friends easily and it seems like most parents want to be involved with the school. Overall we have had a positive experience so far with both the elementary and middle school grade levels

This school is really terrible I am so disappointed! My child is been there for 2years now and after the first year I should move to another school but unfurtunately I give another chance. Well, first the principal is never available for you. PTA meetings doesn't make sense. We went to a meeting and the principal show up just to say if somebody had any question had to submit on line because he will not have any time to answer that day. Well, why we left our house to have to submit questions on line?? Office people is not friendly at all. when u get at the car pool to drop your child people never said good morning it's look like they are there but they are hating to be there. So weird. Teachers are too young and with no experience. Teachers made inappropriate comments regarding another kids in front of the class. I do not recommend this school for anybody. Terrible experience!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

I am really desapointed with this school! This school is terrible in every aspect. My child is been there for the last 2 years and I always had some issues and problems since the first year. But because was the first year I assumed the next year will be better. Unfortunately worse than the first one. My Child teacher do not have any experience with first graders students really rude and used to make funny and inappropriate comments about the kids with other kids. The teacher used to send home warning assignments almost every day. My child was always afraid to go to school. I went to talk to the principal and I had to wait for 3 hrs at the office to get to talk to him and he was there but he said I need to talk to his assistant first. After A 3 hrs waiting and not leave because I have serious issues to talk to him about my daughter's teacher he decided to talk to me. After couple days I had a meeting with the teacher and his assistant because he was too busy to be there. What kind principal is this?? Well finally the year end and I can't wait to have my child out of this "school".

Last modified Hilburn Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.