We are going on our fifth year at Hilburn, and we love:
1. The fantastic teachers
2. The principal, assistant principal, front desk staff, and supporting staff
3. The diversity, economic, racial, religious, etc.
4. The bright and cheery library and the fun classrooms
5. The clubs and extracurricular activities
6. The STEM program and interactions between grades
7. The small-school feel
8. The school hours (done by 3:00!)
9. The pre-k through 8th grade model with a true middle-school experience for the big kids complete with lockers and school dances
10. The PTA and parental involvement
Hilburn Academy is a truly remarkable public school within Wake County! We love the staff, teachers, K-8 students, and an active parent involvement with the school's PTA. The school reinforces life lessons by incorporating monthly character traits as well as engaging the students in the 4-Cs: Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, and Critical Thinking.
When your child tells you how much they love the school you know you made the right choice!
I would highly recommend any interested parent to attend an open house and take a tour. Principal White and VP Menachery are engaged leaders who are approachable and dedicated to their roles!!
Leadership is about relationships and the staff at Hilburn does a great job creating these relationships with students, parents and each other by being approachable and communicating effectively.
I love how both Principal White & VP Menachery are out with carpool lines daily!
Homework assignments are communicated through teacher websites and give parents information to reinforce learning at home. The amount is reasonable and allows parents to be engaged in the learning process of their child.