Southeast Raleigh High

Public | 9-12 | 1543 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 5, 2013

this school is freakin terrible! i cant believe they call this a school, it needs to get shut down. This is not where you want to send your child, it's getting worse and worse every year. I am so happy that I transferred and now I am going to Garner High School. Southeast is terrible.

Posted August 31, 2013

Being a freshman here this year I have noticed that my school needs some help. In terms of academics it's on the higher end (We have a great blend of technology and the arts). However, environmentally it is not always the safest place to be as some of you may be well aware of (see WRAL). We often have fights and it seems like the administration is losing control of the students. The bottom line is if you're considering going here you should be really careful when it comes to who you decide to befriend. Stay with the right crowd.

Posted August 3, 2013

My child's first year at this school was horrific. He was the target of unfair treatment and bullying by some administrators and staff. They created a hostile environment for him to learn and expected him to say or do nothing to speak-up or advocate for himself. His grade suffered as a result and we spent the entire year making sure he did not become discouraged and give-up on learning. Admin, teachers, staff, and coaches have to be held accountable for their actions and I think parents should have a say as to whether or not performance measures are being met. Remain involved in your child's education because you are the only advocate your child has. If you leave it to some at SRHS, you will be taking a huge risk and may even later regret that you did!

Posted June 14, 2013

My daughter just graduated from Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School and she had a great experience there. Those of you who are bashing the school should remember, I don't care where you go there are always going to be some students that are not there to learn but to have a good time. If the students take advantage of the resources (which are numerous) they would/could be very successful. Most of the teachers there are wonderful and willing to help your child succeed.

Posted March 14, 2013

Although we have a new principal, again, he really is great! The classes are rigorous - I have 2 students here in AP, they will testify to that. There are MANY children at this school that are in honors and AP courses. There is fierce competition on who is going to be top 10 students. Our students have choices of colleges, not because the rest of the kids at our school don't shine, but because they have worked hard and made the grades. One poster talked about "inflated grades." I call it mastery. The #1 business school in the US gives retests to it students - I was one of them. It is about teaching, not failing. In this school, if a student fails a test, they have an opportunity to retake up to a certain grade. It is not carte blanche. The teacher wants to make sure that the student understands the concept prior to moving on. That is teaching, not inflating. I don't know anyone at my professoin who does anything perfect the first time - do you? SRMHS is a GREAT SCHOOL, with a GREAT PRINCIPAL and GREAT STUDENTS! I challenge you to come to our school for yourself. You will find a high school that you wished you had went to when you were in high school.

Posted March 6, 2013

Southeast Raleigh is probably the worst school to go to for high school. We have no structure, it's total chaos and it's a disgrace to even claim that I go here. I'm a sophomore. And freshman year I wanted to transfer immediately but I wanted to give it a chance. I did not learn anything as I never do because the teachers can't even control us. They are weak and can't teach, it's amazing how they got hired. I am definitely transferring now.

Posted January 14, 2013

My son is a junior this year, and we are mostly pleased with SRHS. The pros are the school's diversity; the kids there are really nice and helpful to one another, as well as their parents; the cool selection of classes, such as Engineering Academy (Aerospace has a flight simulator!), Forensics, Digital Arts, Web Design, CISCO Certification, etc. Because they are a magnet school, they get more money for this cool stuff, but they have to have the numbers to justify it. Now, the cons. Teachers are under a lot of pressure to 'make the grade' from the administrators that they offer multiple test re-takes, group tests, grade curves, bonus questions, the opportunity to earn grade inflation by participating in extra learning activities during their version of homeroom, etc. It's all about posturing. The website's course descriptions are way outdated. For example, they haven't offered Latin for at least six years, but four levels are listed. The principal is new this year - too early to tell. One other pro is if your child is bright, he/she will more likely be noticed by colleges at this school; whereas, he/she might not shine all that bright amongst so many other stars at other schools.

Posted July 24, 2012

My son is a senior now and for us, SER has been a positive experience. 98% of his teachers have been wonderful and helpful. The administration is helpful - though it can takes some extra effort to reach them. The counselors we have worked with are awesome and knowledgeable. The electives are what really make this school stand out. The band and the engineering programs are model initiatives. I can not say enough good things about the band director! We have no regrets! Kudos to the new principal for making safety and appearance a priority. It was sad to see some teachers go - but overall, I think the change has been good for the school environment.

Posted May 22, 2012

As a teacher at SRHS, I have been very disappointed in the school this year. A new principal and a lot of changes have made a negitive impact not only on the teachers and students, but on the community. Teachers are no longer looked to for their educational expertise, but rather robots to execute the admins plans. Students are harrassed and even arrested for small infractions but bullying is totally ignored. I have worked under 3 different principals at this school and this is by far the worse shape I have ever seen our school in. To sum it up, my children will not come to work with me. It's sad when you wont allow your own child to attend the school where you provide instruction.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 3, 2011

I have never seen so many students with different interests and backgrounds feel so comfortable at a school. My son is in his second year here. He has made great friends and is involved in his classes. Teachers encourage students to take challenging classes, but are always available for assistance. My son is generally the quiet type, but knows many of the teachers and staff. He enjoys participating in sports, art class, and the computer arts classes. There are community service organizations, language clubs, sports, art and poetry clubs, robotics club, the list goes on and on. My middle schooler is eagerly awaiting to apply here. The new principal has been a great asset I have always been able to contact teachers and staff to discuss anything. I highly recommend that people consider this choice for their child. It has all of the traditional plus the extra offerings of a magnet school. One of my neighbor's told me about the school. Her daughter is now attending and her older son graduated from there. Several students receive athletic and academic to prestigious universities. There is so much positive that goes on at this school.

Posted November 11, 2010

If your child lacks motivation like mine did and can't really find their niche, this is the school for them!!! They focus on technology. Their Arts program is pretty decent , athletics is ok and their special needs teachers seem to work double time!!! I would highly recommend them!!! It seems like they have gotten a bad rap lately for whatever reason but I have 3 kids at 2 different high schools..... I think I can safely say, SRHS works hard to meet the needs of all kids, not just the best and brightest like some other Wake County Schools!!!!

Posted August 25, 2009

Southeast is a very wonderful school. They don't get as much reconition as they deserve. Go bulldogs !

Posted May 1, 2008

My experience with Southeast Raleigh High School was a very negative one. To get anything done, I had to show up at the school as my emails & voicemails went unanswered. There are several wonderful teachers at the school, however, I was unable to conctact them in a timely manner to get answers to my questions. Several of these problems arose when budget cuts happened & some staff was eliminated.

Posted January 30, 2008

I totally concur with the post from November 16, 2007! My child has excelled academically at Southeast and has made some great friends. Her teachers have been excellent and involved! Communication from the teachers has been great, if I send an e-mail, I get an answer in a timely matter. I personally feel very safe at SE (I spend a great deal of time there volunteering) and have no qualms about my child being at Southeast Raleigh High School or being in SE Raleigh!

Posted November 16, 2007

Southeast Raleigh Magnet High is a hidden gem. The teachers, staf, administration and counselors are very helpful and professional. Students graduate and attend highly selective schools like MIT, Harvard, Yale, Duke, UNC-CH and many other schools. Most of the bad press comes from issues that do not occur at school. The school's location is safe but receives undue stigma based mostly on prejudice and uninformed opinion.

Posted October 5, 2007

Southeast Raleigh High School isn't much what you think. Don't get me wrong the school is very good, teachers are always trying to help an induvidual with academics, or to excell. But the area that Southeast is located in, isn't quite the site to see. There are fights everyday of the week. Students fussing at one another, or a teachers. Teachers and Adminastration at Southeast Raleigh HS cannot handle the students. They are lacking more, and everything just seems to go down from here. We need a change at Southeast, to control all this.

Posted May 23, 2007

This 'technology magnet' has technology but the teachers in place are neither capable or willing to instruct students properly. With that said, the core class teachers are also of generally poor quality with few exceptions. Your child may be drawn to this school because of the technology aspect, but in reality they'd be better off at their base school, regardless of what that may be.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 5, 2006

My oldest child graduates in 2006, another in 2009. SRHS has fantastic enrichment activities, arts, music, and science programs. Ability to accellerate studies here that you can't get in base schools. Career focused learning centers, especially Medical, are outstanding. Graduation project requirement is fantastic experience for students. Most faculty are excellent. But some top-rated teachers have left, turnover is starting to be a problem. Prior principal made communications with parents a top priority, using internet technology to provide lots of information. New principal refuses to use technology, only sends out prerecorded phone message which parents may never hear. I don't know what is going on anymore! There have been errors in school management. I am concerned about leadership and disorganization. But this is still overall a great school due to the dedicated teachers!

Posted July 30, 2005

Southeast Raleigh magnet high school is the best high school in the area. the teachers are of superior quality doing everything they can to help students succeed in their interests. they also communicate through technology and stress the importance of doing so to their students. they have lots of great electives, and this school is especially good for people interested in science/medical fields. however the new principal is not at all good, she has no sense of disipline whatsoever. mr. modest was much better.

Posted April 8, 2005

Good school academically. But as far as environment? Really bad. Fights like every day, administration has lost control. Freshmen come here and try to act like thugs. The school is going down hill. People are too wild and it's really crowded.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2012.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2012.

n/a
Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2012.

<5%
Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2011.

339 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

Male<5%
Students with disabilities<5%
Proficient in English<5%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 82% in 2011.

214 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

511 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Civics and Economics

The state average for Civics and Economics was 80% in 2011.

397 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English I

The state average for English I was 83% in 2012.

493 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

433 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 77% in 2011.

187 students were tested at this school in 2011.

United States History

The state average for United States History was 82% in 2011.

347 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 55%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music