Posted September 08, 2014
We are almost 1/4 of the way through my son's freshman year. I will add updates as he continues through his time at Southeast but so far, we are very happy with the school. My son enjoys computer science and engineering so it seemed like a good fit. I admit I was worried about safety but I got to spend a day at the school when it was in session and I was impressed and very comfortable with the school after that. The teachers, overall, seem really dedicated to the students, they will actually respond to email, unlike many other Wake County high schools. I tutor kids from Apex, Holly Springs, etc. and the teachers at those schools are much worse than the teachers we have experienced so far at Southeast! My son got involved with theater and the Robotics team and has easily made friends. If you are worried about coming in as a magnet student, all I can say is that we have been very happy with the attitude of teachers, the opportunities, and the ability to take classes that just are not offered at other schools! We also really like New Tech, project based learning classes where a student's grade is based on more things than just test grades.

Posted June 25, 2014
Best school ever with great academics and the technology they teach the students despite that they say it's a all black school that's false statement southeast has different races from white , black, Hispanics , to Asian. Teachers there really help students strive for a better future they sit down to help them and I would recommend this school to anyone better than Garner and Enloe High

Posted May 11, 2014
Southeast Raleigh is a wonderful school. I think the school gets its bad name from the fights and other altercations that happen during and after school but aside from them, the school's academics are great. There is a new tech program that is nothing but project based learning for all the bad test takers, the engineering academy is wonderful and the teachers really know how to work at different paces for different students while still maintaining a class of 20 students. This is a great school if you stay focused and not get mixed into the wrong crowds

Posted September 05, 2013
this school is freakin terrible! i cant believe they call this a school, it needs to get shut down. This is not where you want to send your child, it's getting worse and worse every year. I am so happy that I transferred and now I am going to Garner High School. Southeast is terrible.

Southeast Raleigh High 2

Posted August 31, 2013
Being a freshman here this year I have noticed that my school needs some help. In terms of academics it's on the higher end (We have a great blend of technology and the arts). However, environmentally it is not always the safest place to be as some of you may be well aware of (see WRAL). We often have fights and it seems like the administration is losing control of the students. The bottom line is if you're considering going here you should be really careful when it comes to who you decide to befriend. Stay with the right crowd.

Posted August 03, 2013
My child's first year at this school was horrific. He was the target of unfair treatment and bullying by some administrators and staff. They created a hostile environment for him to learn and expected him to say or do nothing to speak-up or advocate for himself. His grade suffered as a result and we spent the entire year making sure he did not become discouraged and give-up on learning. Admin, teachers, staff, and coaches have to be held accountable for their actions and I think parents should have a say as to whether or not performance measures are being met. Remain involved in your child's education because you are the only advocate your child has. If you leave it to some at SRHS, you will be taking a huge risk and may even later regret that you did!

Southeast Raleigh High 4

Posted June 14, 2013
My daughter just graduated from Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School and she had a great experience there. Those of you who are bashing the school should remember, I don't care where you go there are always going to be some students that are not there to learn but to have a good time. If the students take advantage of the resources (which are numerous) they would/could be very successful. Most of the teachers there are wonderful and willing to help your child succeed.

Posted March 14, 2013
Although we have a new principal, again, he really is great! The classes are rigorous - I have 2 students here in AP, they will testify to that. There are MANY children at this school that are in honors and AP courses. There is fierce competition on who is going to be top 10 students. Our students have choices of colleges, not because the rest of the kids at our school don't shine, but because they have worked hard and made the grades. One poster talked about "inflated grades." I call it mastery. The #1 business school in the US gives retests to it students - I was one of them. It is about teaching, not failing. In this school, if a student fails a test, they have an opportunity to retake up to a certain grade. It is not carte blanche. The teacher wants to make sure that the student understands the concept prior to moving on. That is teaching, not inflating. I don't know anyone at my professoin who does anything perfect the first time - do you? SRMHS is a GREAT SCHOOL, with a GREAT PRINCIPAL and GREAT STUDENTS! I challenge you to come to our school for yourself. You will find a high school that you wished you had went to when you were in high school.

Posted March 06, 2013
Southeast Raleigh is probably the worst school to go to for high school. We have no structure, it's total chaos and it's a disgrace to even claim that I go here. I'm a sophomore. And freshman year I wanted to transfer immediately but I wanted to give it a chance. I did not learn anything as I never do because the teachers can't even control us. They are weak and can't teach, it's amazing how they got hired. I am definitely transferring now.

Southeast Raleigh High 3

Posted January 14, 2013
My son is a junior this year, and we are mostly pleased with SRHS. The pros are the school's diversity; the kids there are really nice and helpful to one another, as well as their parents; the cool selection of classes, such as Engineering Academy (Aerospace has a flight simulator!), Forensics, Digital Arts, Web Design, CISCO Certification, etc. Because they are a magnet school, they get more money for this cool stuff, but they have to have the numbers to justify it. Now, the cons. Teachers are under a lot of pressure to 'make the grade' from the administrators that they offer multiple test re-takes, group tests, grade curves, bonus questions, the opportunity to earn grade inflation by participating in extra learning activities during their version of homeroom, etc. It's all about posturing. The website's course descriptions are way outdated. For example, they haven't offered Latin for at least six years, but four levels are listed. The principal is new this year - too early to tell. One other pro is if your child is bright, he/she will more likely be noticed by colleges at this school; whereas, he/she might not shine all that bright amongst so many other stars at other schools.

Southeast Raleigh High
2600 Rock Quarry Road, Raleigh, NC  27610
Last modified Southeast Raleigh High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southeast Raleigh High Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews.