9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 21, 2015
I don't think they'd want me to mention names, but the 9th grade teachers are incredibly sweet and kind--very nurturing and caring.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted November 21, 2015
The teachers know the girls and parents expect A's. Most of the girls get them unless they aren't willing to do any of their work outside class.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 21, 2015
We did hear that older students get more homework in advanced classes. Her assignments never took my daughter more than an hour or so a night.

Saint Mary's School 3

Posted November 21, 2015
This is a lovely, sweet school. I do recommend it, even though it was not right for our daughter and we ended up leaving. It is a safe place for girls who need the nurturing and support and I would/do definitely recommend it to friends. The academics are extremely traditional--lecture and test. Our daughter was interested in learning about advanced topics and maybe doing research in science (she was a Duke TIP participant throughout middle school) and the only courses offered at Saint Mary's were dry AP courses. Even though all the girls had computers, they only used them to take notes and write papers--no programming or making digital movies as we'd hoped. It sounds like I'm being critical--but Saint Mary's is a sweet, loving school for a girl who wants to make friends with like-minded girls, not work too hard, make good grades (just about everyone is on the honor roll) and have lots of opportunities to participate in extra-curriculuars. No cuts in sports, plays or chorus are a huge benefit that come from attending a school this size!

Posted June 07, 2013
Incredible. I have friends from all over the world not just all over the States and North Carolina itself. I have learned to be an analytical thinker and ask questions. I couldn't have asked for better teachers, and they care more about me than my scores. People at Saint Mary's genuinely want you to have a good experience and to do well. It's so refreshing. The Honor Code is also such a big part in our community. I feel comfortable leaving my backpack anywhere at all, and it will not be taken or gone through. The Saint Mary's community really does emit such an air of trust, and there's an obvious reason why we refer to it as our community not just our school.

Posted April 15, 2011
My daughter came to Saint Mary's in 10th grade and had many friends in many different groups and grades. That's one of the beautiful things about SMS you get what you put in. It offers strong academics, athletics and cultural arts offerings. The all female environment is a nurturing and challenging environment for today's young ladies. All in a great school- wonderful staff, diverse population, updated technology while keeping the old traditions.

Posted January 15, 2011
Really great for my daughter..SMS gave her independance, confidence, and prepared her for the rest of her life. Not only are the courses challenging, they are taught in such a way that she felt comfortable asking questions and learning.

Saint Mary's School 1

Posted October 18, 2010
I had a terrible experience at SMS!!!! I entered as a sophomore, boarding student. The girls at SMS are very click-y. They all have their own groups and show a cold shoulder to any new-comer. I have never experienced a click problem in all my life. I pity the girls who choose to attend SMS. The pressures to act a certain way and to flaunt money are repulsive. Your popularity at SMS is determined by the size of you parent's pocket. Absolutely repulsive!

Posted August 18, 2009
My daughter just graduated. Over the past 4 years SMS offered the absolute best education, support, and opportunities I could have hoped for. The staff and faculty were outstanding. The financial sacrifice was worth every penny!

Saint Mary's School 4

Posted May 23, 2008
MY daughter is a rising senior and I have been very pleased with her experience at Saint Mary's over the past 3 years. Their academics, fine arts and sports are fantastic. The girls develop a very unique comradery and the set up really does a lot for their self esteem.

900 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC  27603
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.
Last modified Saint Mary's School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12