Raleigh, NC
Students enrolled: 1,185

Posted May 25, 2015
This is our 10th year with two kids enrolled at Ravenscroft, and it is truly like a second home for all of us. Our oldest is now in 9th grade after starting in kindergarten, and he has had a fantastic experience the whole way through. Our younger child, a 7th grader, has also had a great experience. We have been actively involved in all facets of the school from the Fine Arts and Athletics to being actively engaged in the classrooms and Parents' Association. I attended a private girl's boarding school in Connecticut myself, so I have constantly compared my own exceptional educational experience to my kids'. Simply stated, Ravenscroft has and continues to exceed all of our expectations! Additionally, the Lead from Here program, which is an unprecedented collaborative effort to effectively prepare young learners for the complex world in which we live, is off the charts and setting a new standard in what parents will want for their children in education. I only wish the program was in place when our kids were younger, but nonetheless, we are thrilled to have them exposed to this type of life changing training - far and away exceeds what's offered at any other school in the area. If Ravenscroft continued into college, we'd be staying another 10 years!

Posted May 15, 2015
We are finishing up our third year at Ravenscroft (K-2) and could not be happier with our choice in sending our son there. The teachers are among the most caring and hard working in the area. Even with small class sizes (15) the teachers divide up their classes in several subjects to assure that everyone's learning level is kept at a challenging pace. As a former private and public school teacher in NY & NC I can say with certainty that Ravenscroft is among the best of any school in either category. Ravenscroft has a very strong Fine Arts program, even in Lower School. What is most exciting is the new Lead From Here initiative that Ravenscroft is developing with the Center for Creative Leadership. I have seen many positive changes in my son as it relates to working with others through collaboration, communication and cooperation. The goal of the program is to intertwine leadership skills into their already rigorous academic program to produce a generation of citizen leaders who will be responsible for running an increasingly complex and diverse World. Other schools in the area have strong academics, some of them strong fine art, but none of them have a robust leadership program.

Posted April 30, 2015
I have two children in lower school. Academically, Ravenscroft is consistently outperforming the national averages for both public and private schools. The robust academic program includes the arts, twice daily physical activity, hands-on science labs, and fluency in Spanish and technology. Auxiliary programs include private music lessons; choir, orchestra, band, and drama; clubs; and supplemental classes such as computer coding and how to ride a bike! Interwoven into this is groundbreaking character education program and Lead From Here initiative to ensure our children can effectively apply their knowledge in the real world. RS has partnered with the Center for Creative Leadership to develop this comprehensive effort among parents, teachers, and students to change the language of education based on a set of core values: Leading Self, Leading With Others, Changing Our World. NOT just another tag line; it is practiced daily with launch lessons in the classroom, student assessments, parent education workshops and the Parent Leadership Council, and enhanced continuing education and collaborative time for teachers. It's an exciting time to be a part of the Ravenscroft community.

Posted April 25, 2015
We have a child in middle school and in high school and our kids have been at Ravenscroft since kindergarten. We are very happy with the development of our kids. Small classes - teachers are always available for tutorials before and after school for individualized attention which has been fantastic for our kids - knowing that a teacher is always there and being able to go to them for difficult concepts . We think Peter Bogue is outstanding in what he brings to high school. He is a game changer in our opinion - smart - great leadership and relates well to kids. The Lead from Here initiative is also a game changer for our kids. It is very real and Ravenscroft is the only school in the country that integrates this into their curriculum- school wide. In 15 years - my kids may not remember the details of a book BUT they will have integrated leading self and leading others into their life which will make them better students , citizens , partners and will equip them for the real world. Lead From here is something that no other school can provide on such a wide scale. Ravenscroft sees the big picture of life and is preparing our kids for that

Posted April 22, 2015
I have three children in the Lower School at Ravenscroft. They wake up each morning excited about the school day. The attention that teachers give our children is unparalleled. The small class sizes allow them to tailor their lessons to children at all different levels and help them excel as individuals. My boys have been given so many opportunities at Ravenscroft that they would have never experienced in other schools. In kindergarten, they were immersed in the Fine Arts program with violin class and all three have chosen to play instruments. Additionally, they have received Spanish instruction, taken weekly technology classes, and have been participated in extracurricular activities, from French class to swim lessons to learning to ride a bike. Introducing the Lead From Here initiative, Ravenscroft has not only showed their devotion for the academics, but their dedication to character...a true partnership between parents, teachers and staff to raise children who learn to lead themselves, lead with others and who have skills to succeed in our complex world. Additionally, the parent community is very welcoming. Ravenscroft is an INCREDIBLE place academically and beyond.

Posted April 21, 2015
This school is like no other in Raleigh. The new Lead From Here makes it stand out nationally giving students a step up in leading, communication and community. We have been at this school for six years, since our children were in Pre-K and can't imagine a more loving, inclusive environment. The staff are responsive to any issue parents bring up. Highly recommend this school!

Ravenscroft School 1

Posted April 14, 2015
For all the resources that Ravenscroft has, they fall very short on creating unique learning opportunities for their students. I have seen schools with far less resources do much more amazing things. Recently, the administration spent precious time and energy opening a discussion with parents over giving the teachers an hour break one day a week and gave the children one less hour a week of learning. My son missed several days of schools while he was out sick with the flu. I asked his teacher if she could help catch him up on the school work that he missed. She seemed offended that I ask her to spend any extra time to help catch him up. She wan't even willing to take 10 minutes after school to go over what he missed! Also be prepared to be solicited regularly on your personal cell phone for money, in the form of a donation. I have interupted many times during the day, while at work, with calls from the school soliciting! They put so much resources into asking for money, and we only wish they put as much energy into their students!

Ravenscroft School 3

Posted October 27, 2014
Former Student. I would be in junior class this year ( Graduating Class of 2016), wanted to leave as I was enrolled in Ravenscroft since Pre Kindergarten. Looking back at Ravenscroft, I have mixed feelings. I think that the teachers are incredibly trained and have a great background from teaching (excluding a few middle school teachers, ex: Carlos Alvelo). The teachers ( in high school) were always caring and would help you whenever you asked. The administrators however are not the best. . There needs to be a change in direction before more people switch schools. I am not sure if it is Doreen's fault, or the board's fault.... Either way, something has to change. The fine arts department is second to none, with great leaders such as Bill Pendergrass. The Band program is one of the best private independent programs in the state. Overall, Ravenscroft is a good school. But, there are better choices out there.. Not worth the tuition money

Posted September 25, 2014
My sons' experiences at Ravenscroft have been great! The academics are second to none and the environment is small and nurturing. My boys made the transition from a much larger public school environment that was overwhelming for them. I am thankful for the small class sizes and the individual attention my children receive. The school's leadership program is amazing and has done wonders for my children and the way they handle adversity, change and the well being of others! I wouldn't send my children anywhere else!

Posted February 10, 2014
While no school is perfect, we have found that Ravenscroft is a great fit for all three of our children. We moved from a strong public school system in New England to Raleigh two years ago. The Wake County School system was overwhelming to navigate with children entering grades 9, 7 and 4. Charter schools are a wonderful option if you are lucky enough to "win" the lottery. Ravenscroft is expensive and there is certainly an element of privilege that runs through the grades. We receive financial aid and stretch/sacrifice to cover the rest. The "country club" feel that other reviewers have described has not dominated our experience. In fact, we have been pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the student body. Every teacher has gone above and beyond to support and encourage. Small class sizes, a challenging curriculum, a wide range of extra-curriculars (especially starting in middle school), and character development have all been a part of our experience. Any concerns have been handled in a timely, open manner. Our children's unique strengths are nurtured, their vulnerabilities are supported, and they are thriving. It's been the right choice for us.

Ravenscroft School