Raleigh, NC
Students enrolled: 1,185

Posted April 25, 2015
We have a child in middle school and in high school and our kids have been at Ravenscroft since kindergarten. We are very happy with the development of our kids. Small classes - teachers are always available for tutorials before and after school for individualized attention which has been fantastic for our kids - knowing that a teacher is always there and being able to go to them for difficult concepts . We think Peter Bogue is outstanding in what he brings to high school. He is a game changer in our opinion - smart - great leadership and relates well to kids. The Lead from Here initiative is also a game changer for our kids. It is very real and Ravenscroft is the only school in the country that integrates this into their curriculum- school wide. In 15 years - my kids may not remember the details of a book BUT they will have integrated leading self and leading others into their life which will make them better students , citizens , partners and will equip them for the real world. Lead From here is something that no other school can provide on such a wide scale. Ravenscroft sees the big picture of life and is preparing our kids for that

Posted April 22, 2015
I have three children in the Lower School at Ravenscroft. They wake up each morning excited about the school day. The attention that teachers give our children is unparalleled. The small class sizes allow them to tailor their lessons to children at all different levels and help them excel as individuals. My boys have been given so many opportunities at Ravenscroft that they would have never experienced in other schools. In kindergarten, they were immersed in the Fine Arts program with violin class and all three have chosen to play instruments. Additionally, they have received Spanish instruction, taken weekly technology classes, and have been participated in extracurricular activities, from French class to swim lessons to learning to ride a bike. Introducing the Lead From Here initiative, Ravenscroft has not only showed their devotion for the academics, but their dedication to character...a true partnership between parents, teachers and staff to raise children who learn to lead themselves, lead with others and who have skills to succeed in our complex world. Additionally, the parent community is very welcoming. Ravenscroft is an INCREDIBLE place academically and beyond.

Posted April 21, 2015
This school is like no other in Raleigh. The new Lead From Here makes it stand out nationally giving students a step up in leading, communication and community. We have been at this school for six years, since our children were in Pre-K and can't imagine a more loving, inclusive environment. The staff are responsive to any issue parents bring up. Highly recommend this school!

Ravenscroft School 1

Posted April 14, 2015
For all the resources that Ravenscroft has, they fall very short on creating unique learning opportunities for their students. I have seen schools with far less resources do much more amazing things. Recently, the administration spent precious time and energy opening a discussion with parents over giving the teachers an hour break one day a week and gave the children one less hour a week of learning. My son missed several days of schools while he was out sick with the flu. I asked his teacher if she could help catch him up on the school work that he missed. She seemed offended that I ask her to spend any extra time to help catch him up. She wan't even willing to take 10 minutes after school to go over what he missed! Also be prepared to be solicited regularly on your personal cell phone for money, in the form of a donation. I have interupted many times during the day, while at work, with calls from the school soliciting! They put so much resources into asking for money, and we only wish they put as much energy into their students!

Ravenscroft School 3

Posted October 27, 2014
Former Student. I would be in junior class this year ( Graduating Class of 2016), wanted to leave as I was enrolled in Ravenscroft since Pre Kindergarten. Looking back at Ravenscroft, I have mixed feelings. I think that the teachers are incredibly trained and have a great background from teaching (excluding a few middle school teachers, ex: Carlos Alvelo). The teachers ( in high school) were always caring and would help you whenever you asked. The administrators however are not the best. . There needs to be a change in direction before more people switch schools. I am not sure if it is Doreen's fault, or the board's fault.... Either way, something has to change. The fine arts department is second to none, with great leaders such as Bill Pendergrass. The Band program is one of the best private independent programs in the state. Overall, Ravenscroft is a good school. But, there are better choices out there.. Not worth the tuition money
6 people found this helpful

Posted September 25, 2014
My sons' experiences at Ravenscroft have been great! The academics are second to none and the environment is small and nurturing. My boys made the transition from a much larger public school environment that was overwhelming for them. I am thankful for the small class sizes and the individual attention my children receive. The school's leadership program is amazing and has done wonders for my children and the way they handle adversity, change and the well being of others! I wouldn't send my children anywhere else!

Posted February 10, 2014
While no school is perfect, we have found that Ravenscroft is a great fit for all three of our children. We moved from a strong public school system in New England to Raleigh two years ago. The Wake County School system was overwhelming to navigate with children entering grades 9, 7 and 4. Charter schools are a wonderful option if you are lucky enough to "win" the lottery. Ravenscroft is expensive and there is certainly an element of privilege that runs through the grades. We receive financial aid and stretch/sacrifice to cover the rest. The "country club" feel that other reviewers have described has not dominated our experience. In fact, we have been pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the student body. Every teacher has gone above and beyond to support and encourage. Small class sizes, a challenging curriculum, a wide range of extra-curriculars (especially starting in middle school), and character development have all been a part of our experience. Any concerns have been handled in a timely, open manner. Our children's unique strengths are nurtured, their vulnerabilities are supported, and they are thriving. It's been the right choice for us.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 20, 2014
My son is a kindergartener and this is our first experience with the school. We are halfway through the year and I am well pleased. Initially I had concerns with him being able to catch on because he didn't go to pre-school but, I was so impressed at his progression in only the first few weeks in school. Not only was he writing legibly but, was reading and sounding out words on his own and he enjoyed it! He loves school and looks forward to it daily. His math skills are steadily improving. He enjoys reading and, in his free time, creating stories and writing books. He has also discovered his creative side and now likes to make illustrations to go along with his stories. I have to give much credit to his teacher. I don't question that my son is getting a quality education. The staff and teachers I've encountered are friend and helpful. Communication is very open. I like being actively involved in my son's education experience and the community feel of the school. Diversity was somewhat of a concern at first but, this has not impacted my son's education experience at all and the school is growing in this area.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 13, 2014
I made the decision to choose a private school in Raleigh due to the instability of Wake County's districting and narrowed it down to three. Ultimately the size of Ravenscroft (larger student body) along with the fact that it offered more athletic options swayed me. Also, I am not religious (that is not to say I am not respectful of religion). But did not feel comfortable with any sort of God curriculum. My big fear in sending my child to private school was that he would be surrounded people who were all alike because there would be a majority of kids from a certain socio-economic background. This was not the case for us. We have kids from different countries, different religions, same sex families, disabilities, ethnicities, etc. in his grade alone. That is not to say your traditional white prep school stereotypes (and their parents) are not present, because they are. But they are not dominating in my experience. For my son, Ravenscroft has been worth every cent. It has been a super nuturing community for him to develop academically and socially. After 8 years we have not had a bad teacher and every administrative issues was promptly dealt with. I've loved it, plain and simple.

Ravenscroft School 2

Posted December 02, 2013
It's unfortunate not to rate this school higher. The teachers can be excellent, they can also be the worst. Having said this, generally they do care and want your children to succeed. Here's the downside, the students are incorrigible brats- spoiled rotten- bordering on mean. If you are a church going family, very conservative and don't do anything out of the ordinary, perhaps this school is for you. If you have different views on the world, then don't put your kids through the torture. It's not worth it. Note: Many of the best middle school teacher have left for greener pastures and as I'm sure you know, the good ones leave first. (Grammar through Middle School, have since moved)
5 people found this helpful