Raleigh, NC
Students enrolled: 1,185

Ravenscroft School 2

Posted July 26, 2015
Poor college placement, average academic integrity, constant fund raising antics...no need to spend 20k per year for lower school when there are plenty of better options in Wake County. We pulled our child after 2 years of what seemed like way too much of an emphasis on character club, diversity, and arts/crafts. The schools integrity is really reflective, in my opinion, of the integrity of the parents that send their children to this school. The children of these particular parents would do well anywhere. However, on the flip side I would be embarrassed to be a teacher at Ravenscroft, with such a wonderful group of parents/students, and produce rather average students based on college acceptances and test scores. Buyer beware...you can get more for your money through charter schools and other independent schools like Thales Academy where the proof is in the pudding.

Posted June 13, 2015
We have two children in Lower School at Ravenscroft and have be involved with the school for over 5 years. Initially we decided on Ravenscroft based on it's strong academics, fine arts, athletics and other extra curricular programs. Once we arrived we learned there was so much more to it. As a new family to the area, we were embraced by the Ravenscroft Community and found many wonderful volunteer opportunities in the classroom as well as within the Parents' Association. We couldn't have felt more welcome. In Lower School, the Character Tree program is a lovely compliment to the curriculum. Students are taught and understand words like spirit, responsibility, courage, dedication, compassion. Now they've taken it to a whole new level with their partnership with the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) and the development and infusion of Lead from Here into the curriculum. We don't know what the world will look like in 10 years or what jobs will be available at that time, but we feel confident that by having our children receive their education from Ravenscroft, they'll be equipped with the tools to lead themselves, lead with others and change their world.

Posted June 11, 2015
Three words describe the excellence at Ravenscroft for our family more than anything else: nurturing individual potential. As the school mission states: “The Ravenscroft community, guided by our legacy of excellence, nurtures individual potential...” This is done through the very strong academics, arts, sports and extra activities offered throughout the year which have a wide range from coding to macramé (for lower school). Our children have had the most loving, caring, excellent teachers. When our daughter was in second grade, her teacher said “maybe she’d like to stay after school with me on Wednesdays.” This wonderful teacher brought her up to speed this way for almost the whole year, to strengthen one weak area, and we never even asked! My daughter has had similar mentoring in her strong area from the wonderful lower school Art teacher. All the regular classes during the day are also excellent, but these two examples showed us how they support a child’s weak areas when needed, as well as build their strengths. Although the school is 150 years old, the administration and Board are looking at preparing students for the future. They show a real commitment to the second part of the school’s mission: “…and prepares students to thrive in a complex and interdependent world.” One new way is through a school-wide leadership program called Lead from Here. This was developed with consultation of the Center for Creative Leadership which works with many businesses on the subject. This was the first program they developed for a school.

Posted May 25, 2015
This is our 10th year with two kids enrolled at Ravenscroft, and it is truly like a second home for all of us. Our oldest is now in 9th grade after starting in kindergarten, and he has had a fantastic experience the whole way through. Our younger child, a 7th grader, has also had a great experience. We have been actively involved in all facets of the school from the Fine Arts and Athletics to being actively engaged in the classrooms and Parents' Association. I attended a private girl's boarding school in Connecticut myself, so I have constantly compared my own exceptional educational experience to my kids'. Simply stated, Ravenscroft has and continues to exceed all of our expectations! Additionally, the Lead from Here program, which is an unprecedented collaborative effort to effectively prepare young learners for the complex world in which we live, is off the charts and setting a new standard in what parents will want for their children in education. I only wish the program was in place when our kids were younger, but nonetheless, we are thrilled to have them exposed to this type of life changing training - far and away exceeds what's offered at any other school in the area. If Ravenscroft continued into college, we'd be staying another 10 years!

Posted May 15, 2015
We are finishing up our third year at Ravenscroft (K-2) and could not be happier with our choice in sending our son there. The teachers are among the most caring and hard working in the area. Even with small class sizes (15) the teachers divide up their classes in several subjects to assure that everyone's learning level is kept at a challenging pace. As a former private and public school teacher in NY & NC I can say with certainty that Ravenscroft is among the best of any school in either category. Ravenscroft has a very strong Fine Arts program, even in Lower School. What is most exciting is the new Lead From Here initiative that Ravenscroft is developing with the Center for Creative Leadership. I have seen many positive changes in my son as it relates to working with others through collaboration, communication and cooperation. The goal of the program is to intertwine leadership skills into their already rigorous academic program to produce a generation of citizen leaders who will be responsible for running an increasingly complex and diverse World. Other schools in the area have strong academics, some of them strong fine art, but none of them have a robust leadership program.

Posted April 30, 2015
I have two children in lower school. Academically, Ravenscroft is consistently outperforming the national averages for both public and private schools. The robust academic program includes the arts, twice daily physical activity, hands-on science labs, and fluency in Spanish and technology. Auxiliary programs include private music lessons; choir, orchestra, band, and drama; clubs; and supplemental classes such as computer coding and how to ride a bike! Interwoven into this is groundbreaking character education program and Lead From Here initiative to ensure our children can effectively apply their knowledge in the real world. RS has partnered with the Center for Creative Leadership to develop this comprehensive effort among parents, teachers, and students to change the language of education based on a set of core values: Leading Self, Leading With Others, Changing Our World. NOT just another tag line; it is practiced daily with launch lessons in the classroom, student assessments, parent education workshops and the Parent Leadership Council, and enhanced continuing education and collaborative time for teachers. It's an exciting time to be a part of the Ravenscroft community.

Posted April 25, 2015
We have a child in middle school and in high school and our kids have been at Ravenscroft since kindergarten. We are very happy with the development of our kids. Small classes - teachers are always available for tutorials before and after school for individualized attention which has been fantastic for our kids - knowing that a teacher is always there and being able to go to them for difficult concepts . We think Peter Bogue is outstanding in what he brings to high school. He is a game changer in our opinion - smart - great leadership and relates well to kids. The Lead from Here initiative is also a game changer for our kids. It is very real and Ravenscroft is the only school in the country that integrates this into their curriculum- school wide. In 15 years - my kids may not remember the details of a book BUT they will have integrated leading self and leading others into their life which will make them better students , citizens , partners and will equip them for the real world. Lead From here is something that no other school can provide on such a wide scale. Ravenscroft sees the big picture of life and is preparing our kids for that

Posted April 22, 2015
I have three children in the Lower School at Ravenscroft. They wake up each morning excited about the school day. The attention that teachers give our children is unparalleled. The small class sizes allow them to tailor their lessons to children at all different levels and help them excel as individuals. My boys have been given so many opportunities at Ravenscroft that they would have never experienced in other schools. In kindergarten, they were immersed in the Fine Arts program with violin class and all three have chosen to play instruments. Additionally, they have received Spanish instruction, taken weekly technology classes, and have been participated in extracurricular activities, from French class to swim lessons to learning to ride a bike. Introducing the Lead From Here initiative, Ravenscroft has not only showed their devotion for the academics, but their dedication to character...a true partnership between parents, teachers and staff to raise children who learn to lead themselves, lead with others and who have skills to succeed in our complex world. Additionally, the parent community is very welcoming. Ravenscroft is an INCREDIBLE place academically and beyond.

Ravenscroft School 1

Posted April 14, 2015
For all the resources that Ravenscroft has, they fall very short on creating unique learning opportunities for their students. I have seen schools with far less resources do much more amazing things. Recently, the administration spent precious time and energy opening a discussion with parents over giving the teachers an hour break one day a week and gave the children one less hour a week of learning. My son missed several days of schools while he was out sick with the flu. I asked his teacher if she could help catch him up on the school work that he missed. She seemed offended that I ask her to spend any extra time to help catch him up. She wan't even willing to take 10 minutes after school to go over what he missed! Also be prepared to be solicited regularly on your personal cell phone for money, in the form of a donation. I have interupted many times during the day, while at work, with calls from the school soliciting! They put so much resources into asking for money, and we only wish they put as much energy into their students!

Ravenscroft School 3

Posted October 27, 2014
Former Student. I would be in junior class this year ( Graduating Class of 2016), wanted to leave as I was enrolled in Ravenscroft since Pre Kindergarten. Looking back at Ravenscroft, I have mixed feelings. I think that the teachers are incredibly trained and have a great background from teaching (excluding a few middle school teachers, ex: Carlos Alvelo). The teachers ( in high school) were always caring and would help you whenever you asked. The administrators however are not the best. . There needs to be a change in direction before more people switch schools. I am not sure if it is Doreen's fault, or the board's fault.... Either way, something has to change. The fine arts department is second to none, with great leaders such as Bill Pendergrass. The Band program is one of the best private independent programs in the state. Overall, Ravenscroft is a good school. But, there are better choices out there.. Not worth the tuition money

Ravenscroft School