PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted March 09, 2016
As a St. David's School "lifer," I can think of no single entity to which I owe more of the good things in my life. I started attended St. David's in Kindergarten, where I met three friends who will be in my wedding this summer. I graduated from St. David's in 2008, equipped to excel in college and life. Aside from intangibles, like atmosphere, attitudes, and culture, St. David's offers an unparalleled education that focuses more on process than product, more on understanding than regurgitation, and more on thinking, speaking, and writing than on fill in the blank. Beyond the education, the friends I made are still my closest friends, successful and well-adjusted adults who are contractors, doctors-in-training, occupational therapists, consultants, etc. The teachers whom I learned from in high school were highly educated, passionate, and excellent. They spent countless hours of their free time helping my with college essays, writing recommendations, and simply talking with me about my goals. I went on to Georgetown University and then earned my Master's degree from NC State. As a teacher now, I cannot say enough good things about the supportive community here. The students are driven, the faculty is dedicated, the administration is wise. My colleagues are all incredibly intelligent, kind, and supportive. I’ve seen teachers come hours early and leave hours late, just to help a single student understand a single idea. Faculty are encouraged to push students to think deeply and not merely understand on a superficial level. From a student’s perspective, and a teacher’s, St. David’s is an excellent institution that has so much to offer.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted February 25, 2016
I am so grateful to the library staff. While I was teaching advanced courses, they made it easy for me to do additional research and spent tremendous time with my students to teach them advanced research and database skills. They ordered additional databases that are generally only used by college and graduate students, such as JSTOR, because I felt that my students would benefit. Beyond that, they spent additional time walking my students through using these resources. The library staff goes above and beyond for our students and I am so, so grateful!

Posted February 25, 2016
The community here is a teacher's dream. From encouraging, supportive parents who are committed to fulfilling the mission of St. David's and who really partner with teachers to ensure their students' success to an incredible array of talent in the student body, I could not have asked for a better environment. I taught students who pride themselves on being polite and respectful, who work extremely hard, and for whom the honor code is a way of life, not just a sign on the door. I loved my time at St. David's.

Posted February 24, 2016
This is my 8th year at St. David's and it is difficult to find something I don't like about this school. From teachers who will sacrifice their own interest and desires for students to fully understand the material to being able to worship Christ freely, this has been a life changing experience. It has been a privilege to attend St. David's with all the resources it has to offer. I will definitely miss my time here, as it has provided me the opportunities to excel in my faith, virtue, and knowledge.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 23, 2016
The school has more PhDs than you'd imagine possible in a high school or middle school, but more importantly, they are incredible mentors for our children. They know them by name, care about them, and have prepared them incredibly well for college.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 23, 2016
It's actually quite incredible -- consider the fact that kids leave their iPads, phones, etc. all over the Commons, and nothing ever gets stolen -- not to mention that there are no locks on the lockers. Besides that, the genuine example from the faculty is so powerful. Yes, they certainly do develop honesty and integrity!

Posted February 23, 2016
We have two alums and a rising 9th grader, and we are so grateful to have come to St. David's when we did. There is no way to express how thankful we are for the incredible teachers who have had such a monumental impact on our kids. Our two who are in college not only enrolled in honors programs and received significant scholarships, but they have become critical thinkers who own their own faith. Our minority daughter does not fit the mold of the so-called prep school kid (which some worry about at schools like St. David's), but she has found deep friendships as well as meaningful mentorship from the teachers. It costs a lot to send three kids to St. David's, but it was worth every penny.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted October 10, 2015
I said it in my review that finding a good teacher here is like finding a diamond in the rough. When you get one they are amazing!! But when you get the new, just out of college, (doesn't even have a teaching degree) teacher that, honestly really doesn't care, It's beyond frustrating. You'd think that at a school with such high tuition that you'd actually get 1/2 way decent teachers. Our other daughter was at Ravenscroft & at least they kept their teachers better.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted October 10, 2015
I'm the odd parent out in that I don't want my daughter to come home and not have a life. The amount of homework this school places on these kids to try & make the school "look better" with higher test scores & better college acceptances, is the reason that depression is so prevalent in this generation of kids. We are asking our kids to go work for 8 hours take a 3 hour break to do sports and have dinner then work another 6/8 hours. NO. We don't demand grown adults working full-time jobs to work 14/16 hour days. (yes I know some people do but it is their CHOICE or they get time off after long shifts like these.) They tried to change the school schedule to make it so students didn't have as much homework... they failed! Not only do they not have less homework, oh no just the opposite, they have even more than before!

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted October 10, 2015
I believe any private school ingrains this because of the demanding exceptions that are placed on these kids. Private schools are do or die. If you don't keep a high enough GPA you are asked "to please not return next year". I don't believe that it is taught I believe that it is ingrained through unmeetable expectations.

3400 White Oak Road, Raleigh, NC  27609