Montessori School of Raleigh

Private | PK-9

Living in Raleigh

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $213,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Sweep tile

Posted November 18, 2008

We have three children at MSR and are absolutely delighted. The highly individualized education means that each child can work up to his or her potential, enthusiastically pursuing subjects of interest without limit. At the same time, there is a great deal of nurturing and support in areas in which a child struggles, whether it be an academic or social area. My children love the afterschool offerings (chess, piano, arts, sports) as well as music, art, PE, technology, and Spanish during the school day. Montessori is an excellent school for gifted children, as well as typically-developing children. No one is hurried, but each child is encouraged to work up to his or her potential. The teachers are a committed group of professionals with very low turnover (average tenure well over 8 years) and overall are wonderful educators and role models. I could not be happier with MSR.

Posted November 4, 2008

My wife and I have been on the Board of a Montessori school, and have attended Montessori conferences and spoken with Montessori consultants and teachers from all over the country. My wife also studied Montessori education. With that background we began our search for a Montessori school all throughout NC. We knew the questions to ask, and the things to look for in a good Montessori school. We finally settled on MSR for the following reasons: -It has a strong Montessori philosophy. -the teachers are well qualified -well equiped classrooms -the Board knows it's role, and appears to be doing a good job. - a strong Head who listens to parents and teachers, and acts when needed as well as bringing a balance between Montessori and preparing our children for the high schools in the area. Not an easy thing to do. -Is it Perfect? No, we are all human. It is not for everyone.

Posted November 3, 2008

We have been parents at this school for ten years. I am so sad to say this is our last year. This school is being run by a overpowerful admin team that in my opponion has worked to overwhelm a kind hearted Hof S. Someone needs to listen to the common folk,stop the spending and force our Head to make some changes I always swore that I was with MSR til the end and I am done

Posted October 23, 2008

MSR has been an wondeful part of are family for over 10 years.This type of environment is not for everyone, but the staff takes great strides to try and educate each individual child at their level. I love that the Montessori approach has three grades in an environment. I had one child who was always at the top of their grade and excelled in the leadership role. The other child needed the challenge of the older students to pull him up. The current Head of School has gone out of her way to make the transtion for my children a postive experience. She has helped us with both academic and social concerns. She has always had an open door policy with parents and staff. What more do you need to ask from a Head of School ?

Posted October 23, 2008

My kids are now in their fourth year, and I can honestly say that I've learned almost as much as they have. This school has taught me about how children develop and learn. It has given me good new ideas about how to raise my kids. We have had our differences with the teachers, but those relationships have improved over time. I know that the teachers are watching and constantly thinking about my kids, along with the other kids in their care. We have received very direct help from the Head of School, even though we're not some of the high-dollar parents. The after-school care works with the classroom teachers. The kids get a large amount of time outside on a beautiful campus. The board is active, and is looking forward. It is developing plans for improvements to the school. I, for one, have been happy with our time here.

Posted October 22, 2008

Our family absolutely loves this school! The teachers are the gold standard of Montessori educators in the state. Due to a passion for learning that has been cultivated by the Montessori philosophy, our children are thriving in this environment. There is also a real sense of community here. Parents, teachers and administration working together in a quest for excellence. For a first class education, an opportunity for your children to be treated with respect and dignity at all times and a chance to join a strong familial community, take a hard look at this school. It's a special place.

Posted March 13, 2008

We have only had our children in the Toddler and Children's House (3-6 year olds) at this school and have found it exemplary. For anyone familiar with the Montessori learning philosophy, this school is the tops. It is such a wonderful and individual way to learn...I can undrestand how some children might not mesh well with this method of learning but it is not because this school does not provide the best Montessori environment. Most children thrive in this educational setting. Its very expensive but what better way to spend your money than on the education of your children?

Posted February 15, 2008

The February 1 parent sounds defensive. Maybe they are a staff member at the school and not very objective. The kids here are supossed to be self- directed but it's more like self- taught. The fact that the school doesn't give grades or report cards make it tough to know how you student is doing in school. The parent/teacher conferences that take place two times a year don't give enough information. I asked specific questions but got vague answers. I found the teachers to be condescending and judgmental. Before choosing this school I went to the open houses and asked lots of questions. I was told things that sounded great but proved not to be the case. Of course a school is only going to tell you the good stuff. It's only after you send your kid there that you see what it is really like.

Posted February 1, 2008

It sounds as if January 4th parent is completely unfamiliar with the Montessori system. The philosphy of every Montessori school is based on 3-year groupings and is explained fully at every orientation session. There is a gym with regularly scheduled PE classes and daily outdoor recess. The art and music programs are outstanding and computers are not used in class until the students reach Upper Elementary. There's plenty of time to teach kids to be desk-bound drones without starting them in pre-K. They do learn to record original music and make movies, though. I consider that 'technology.' Cons: Tuition is very high, although assistance is available. Montessori schools in general are not the right choice for every child. It's up to the parent to do research first and make that determination for him/herself.

Posted January 4, 2008

I am the parent of a student that has attended this school for many years, and each year I become more displeased with the school. This is the last year I will send my child there. This school is very expensive and does not warrent the high tution. The school does not have a gym or lunchroom and they do not offer any type of technology class. Also, there is not an organized art or music program. Combined classrooms, 3 grades in 1 classroom, are unrealistic. There are too many differences emotionally and academically. The teachers claim that they respect the differences in each student but I have not found that to be true. This school wants the children to conform to what the school determines is best for the class, not what is best for the child. Think very carefully before selecting this school.

Posted September 19, 2007

Having had lots of kids and lived in lots of places, I am hard to please and very picky about schools. Have had my two kids in MSR for 5 years now and I cannot say enough about how wonderful this environment is. Nurturing, encouraging of independence, excellent skills, and more. This is my kind of learning -- not regimented and cookie cutter in any way. My children learn how to live here and how to help others do the same. Great outdoor spaces and classrooms, excellent devoted teachers.

Posted April 16, 2006

My child has been attending this school since he was a toddler and we have been very pleased. The school has excellent teachers, a wonderful school community, and a beautiful facility. The children's house program is wonderful and our child has thrived here. This school is a gem.

Posted March 16, 2006

MSR provides a child centered education based upon the principles of Maria Montessori. We have been at the school for 5 years and are thrilled with the high quality of the teachers as well as the philosophy of the school.
—Submitted by a staff

Two or more races 22% N/A
Asian 3% N/A
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 2%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7005 Lead Mine Rd