Posted May 01, 2014
I moved to Raleigh, N.Carolina in 2012. My daughter s primary school was E Garner Elementary. After touring the school and meeting staff I decided that was not the school for her. I did research and came across Torchlight Academy. After reading reviews, I was very skeptical. The reviews consisted of 1. My child does not get enough to eat. 2. My child is being verbally abused. 3. The teacher does not communicate with me. As a well-educated person I thought 1. If my child is not getting enough to eat, I ll pack her lunch. 2. In todays world almost everyone thinks discipline is abuse. 3. If my child's teacher does not communicate w/ me, I will schedule a parent/teacher conference. My daughter was enrolled into Torchlight Academy 2013-14 school year. Our experience w/ Torchlight has been phenomenal. Her teacher is great! My daughter s teacher and I communicate w/ one another on a regular basis regarding my child's education. The curriculum plan is effective and efficient. As far as the schools discipline policy goes, I LOVE it. Discipline is crucial for a child's physical/mental health. A child must know that school is a place to learn and develop life skills. -H.Hawthorne

Posted September 11, 2013
Torchlight is by far the worse school my child has attended.. The staff needs to go back to school and learn how to treat their students... The classrooms are over crowed and the teachers well male teachers hit the boys with bats.. Which is really uncalled for.. My son never brought home one graded paper at all... And let's not even get on these boothleg bus drivers... They yell and talk down to the kid's. I even witness a bus driver shove a student.... If you want your child to have the best education. Then this is not the school.... RUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted June 18, 2013
My daughter went to this school this past year. This school is well over rated and the staff seems to be programmed. Majority of this school are under a certain religion and they discipline and teach the children (slickly) to their religious beliefs. I hated this school. The classrooms are over crowded, some of the children are unruly and the staff can't seem to handle it. They provide transportation, even this department is shameful. I just think they are overrated, overcrowded and trying to program our children to their beliefs. I hate this school and everything that comes along with it. I believe they prey on the underprivileged and less fortunate.

Torchlight Academy 4

Posted December 10, 2012
I am so happy with the education that he is receiving. I took him out of the public schools because he was having behavior problems that they did not deal with, they suspended him or kept him in a room all day long. I have only had good interactions with the school. They are friendly and accessible. One thing that I learned early on is that you have to be proactive with my sons education. You have to be on the ball, they do not baby you at that school. They provide NWEA testing so that parents know where their child stands academically. I like the parent/teacher conferences they offer. They usually have them all day so every parent can come. If I had known about the schhol 3 years ago, my son would have been there. They deal with the issues head on. At first I tried not to believe that my Son was doing the things that they reported, but when I started to take responsibility and popping up at the school to check on my son, things got right in line. I learned that I had to be apart of the teacm with the school if my son was going to do better. I love the way the teacher and staff care for my son. I have a daughter that will be starting next year as well. Can't wait!!!

Posted December 02, 2012
For any parent who cares and are interested in their childs educational life would not put their child in this school. My son has been going to this school for only 4 months and I am already disgusted. My son was an honor roll student in the public school system and his grades have declined tremendously. The teachers do not have a communication line with concerned parents. If your child is failing it is not the teacher's responsibility to make the parents aware. My son comes home hungry all of the time. His classroom has about 40 students in it, which is rediculous for it to have a "private school setting." When you try to contact administration such as the principal or director you can never get them. I always get the front office staff. The martial arts that the children were supposed to have is not there. This school is horrible and I am sadened that I took my children out of public schools and wasted a valuable part of my childs education. The teachers and "supporting staff" do not care about the children which are supposed to be the main focus. It is definitely time for a change when your child becomes depressed and not interested in school. Do not put your child in Torchlight

Posted November 19, 2012
I would recommend Torchlight Academy to any parent that cares about the well being of their child's future. Not only does the school offer excellent core academics but they also offer a lot of extra classes; Chinese, Spanish, Martial Arts, Physical Education, Music and even Art! I am so happy that my child is getting a well-rounded.

Posted May 11, 2012
I have a daughter that attended Torchlight Academy for her 1st and 2nd grade sschool year's and I am completely disgusted. For starters, I could never reach my child's teachers when I had a concern or issue. I would always reach a secretary who always said she would take a message but the teachers never called back. My child always complained of the food they serve and she would come home starving and extra thirsty to the point where I would have to have dinner ready when she got home. Her second grde year was the worst. My daughter completed the whole year at Torchlight and I decided that was her last year there. According to her report card, she had been promoted to 3rd grade but when I enrolled her back in public school, she failed to meet the educational requirements for 3rd grade and was sent back a grade. The teachers are uneducated and re not qualified, their curriculum is worksheets printed off of a website and they don't feed your kids properly. I will never send my child back there and I wouldn't advise anyone else send their child either.

Posted December 17, 2010
I have a daughter in kindergaten(Ms Ferguson's class)i must say i have seen great impovement since she started.I am greatly impressed with what the school is doing !She is disciplined,doing well academically and her communication skills excellent!!!GOOD JOB TORCHLIGHT!!!!!!!

Torchlight Academy 0

Posted May 09, 2010
When my child first started at Torchlight Academy she was in kindergarten. Her teacher was excellent. We thought this would be a great school, but now there has been so many changes. The owner is very nice her husband is rude. The staff are not nice at all, they do not want to help at all. The kids are not served a proper lunch. My child would come home hungry and very thirsty. Plus if you try and talk with the teachers they have nasty attitudes. My child will not be attending this school next year. I hope that they get better.

Torchlight Academy 0

Posted April 12, 2010
I definately agree all they care about is whats going wrong! Teacher is ok til you step on their toes then the child has to suffer the rudeness of the adults! I apologize to my baby everyday that she's had to endure such verbal abuse as she has here at this school! I wouldnt recomend this school to my worse enemy!

Torchlight Academy
3211 Bramer Drive, Raleigh, NC  27604
Last modified Torchlight Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Torchlight Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews.