Bad
Good

I can't say enough positive things about WES. We moved to the area from NY in October of 2015. My 3 girls were welcomed with open arms by the administration, teachers, staff and students. The crossing guards are amazing too! It's not easy being the new kid but everyone at WES made the transition a piece of cake for them and for me as well! Parents are welcomed at school, whether it be volunteering, PTA events or just having lunch with your child. I'm so happy with the academic progress they have made. The teachers are dedicated and genuinely care about their students. One of my daughters has a severe food allergy and I was so impressed with how well it was managed. They worked with me on every detail of her food allergy plan to ensure her safety and my peace of mind. We're glad to be a part of Wakefield Elementary School!

The teachers are good with the children and the children really like going to school here. I only have one gripe on this school. They will take away your child's lunch if their account is short . This has happened to my daughter. Her lunch account was short one day so they took away her hotdog , she could only have the fruit and vegetables on her tray. She was hungry and embarrassed that day!! She came home in tears . I don't think it's fair to make a child go hungry . This is not a habit of ours to let her account get low but, things do happen. The school needs to take this up with the parent not starve a child. Needless to say my I had a high opinion of the school but, now it has changed. Like I said the teachers are excellent but some of the policies are screwed up.

I am thankful for Wakefield Elementary and the opportunity it provides teachers with a great working environment. From my interview with administration, to now being a little over 2 months in as a first year teacher, I have felt so at home and welcomed at Wakefield Elementary. The administration has been nothing but encouraging, staff has given me constant advice, the parents have exceeded my expectations with their support, and the children have made me fall even more in love with this profession! I can't imagine being at any other school :)

We are SO happy WES. The teachers are absolutely amazing! I volunteer in the classroom on a regular bases so I see first hand the passion and intelligence of the staff and that is being passed onto my child. Every single one is exceptional. WES is a great school in general. We have a wonderful PTA, smart boards in every room, a great AIG program, single subject acceleration, reading clubs, after school clubs and programs (art, science, Girls on the Run, even a string orchestra!) The principle knows us by name, and is very responsive. I love the fact that the middle school gets out just a few minutes before the elementary school, so if you have a middle schooler, they can just walk down to your car in the elementary car pool line. That is really convenient! I also like the fact that we have a very diverse school, and that is not something that all of the schools around here have. I am looking forward to continuing my children's education with the Wakefield schools! Excellent school choice for sure!

Thankfully we have a new opportunity with a new Principle to turn things around by increase testing acores, changing this to a traditional calendar school and implenment a zero tolerance policy along with uniforms. As a parent with 2 children currently attending WES, I think these changes would increase scores and entice more Wakefield families who have moved their children to private shcools to return to Wakefield Elementary. If we make this more of a "Neighborhood school" as it was origionally intended to be, we will see an increase in participation in the PTA as well as more parent volunteers in the classroom. Wakelfield Elementary employees some of the most amazing teaching staff who will help Wakefield Elementary become one of the top performing schools again. I have spent many hours voluteering at this school and realize that some significant changes need to be made in order to bring it back to a top performing school. I think the opportunity is NOW and we should make every effort to voice our oppinionso can reach its potentiial - the best elementary school in North Raleigh/ Wake Forest.

My daughter has been at Wakefield for 3 years, and I could not be happier. The staff is warm and nurturing, and the kids on her grade level are wonderful. It makes me excited about her future in the Wakefield Schools.I don't understand what the parent was saying about a bad student community. That is one instance that could be found anywhere. Overall, the school is top notch. We need more technology, but it is expensive, and we need more money from the county. It is hard to compare with the newer schools, who can spend their start up money on it.

We have been at WES since 2006. I am very comfortable with the staff at this school. The overcrowding is no longer an issue. The AG teacher is very good, and I feel the program provides a good challenge for both the strong and moderate AG students. I have volunteered in the classroom and the thing I love most is the homey atmosphere. At the end of the day when waiting in the carpool line, the kids all seem happy. One thing I think that has hurt the school is the year round nature, it is not as unified as in the past, though I do like the year round in other ways, as it gives the kids breaks throughout the year. I also like the closeness of the Wakefield schools to each other and the area in general.

Tax dollars would have no effect on indulgent, aggressive parental influences. Even the excellent faculty and administration at Wakefield Elementary can not override years of social manipulation tactics learned at home.

Unlike the parent who previously posted two reviews about her child's social experiences, I have personally experienced a positive social situation at WES. The teachers are quite good and the students are all part of a normalized public school environment. North Carolina as a whole could do better in terms of tax dollars allocated to public school education.

We left Wakefield Elementary after my child endured a very difficult social environment for 18 months.

Last modified Wakefield Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.