Bad
Good

Attending Yates Mill is like attending a private public school. The individualized attention the students receive is incredible. Their instructional approach using team time is very effective. The entire school community is very positive. I am so happy my boys have the opportunity to attend YMES!

Yates Mill Elementary has exceptional teachers. They definitely helped my kids learn to their best potential.

Hello, This is a warning for any parents who are thinking about sending their children to Yates Mill Elementary school. My daughter is a student there and I can't get her out of that school fast enough. Sending her to that school was the WORST decision ever! They have the rudest office staff members, they can't keep a principal longer than a few months, and the assistant principl has an attitude as though she couldn't care less about the students. The school LOST my child to which the police had to be called and involved in helping to locate my child and they are terrible at communicating important information to parents. However, they are great about over communicating when it comes to needing donations and volunteers. I have had nothing but trouble from this school from the office staff to the teachers to the principals! Absolutely terrible school!!!!!

great school and great teachers. The school feels very welcoming and my daughter loves going there,

Yates Mill Elementary school has a new principal (beginning March 2011) and we are looking forward to many changes. Already, I have seen a great deal of improvement among the staff. If you had asked me during the leadership under the previos principal, I would have told many to find an alternative school, if possible. She was not an effective administartor. I saw her very few times since moving to this area in the two years we have been at Yates Mill. Regardless, there is improvement. The new principal is very visible and front office staff are always willing to help. It is not a great school by any means but has alot of potential. Looking forward to what the new administration will bring to the new school year.

My child previously attended AB Combs and Dillard Elementary in Raleigh. This is our first year at Yates Mill. I have to say that this is the best school of the three. I actually feel like the teachers and admin staff are listening to my concerns. They follow-up to address issues and make sure that parents are kept in the loop. Front office staff are super awesome; even going so far as to lend their own personal money in place missing lunch money. Math and Reading group teachers are phenomenal! Highly recommended!!

I strongly disagree with the three negative posts regarding Yates Mill Elementary. Both my sons have attended Yates Mill and the staff and teachers were excellent on all levels. I think it is very unfair to state that the 'excellent' teachers have left. No one but those teachers themselves can know their reasons for leaving Yates Mill so don't assume it's because of leadership. You won't find a more hands on staff anywhere. Your child's education is a priority there. I think your negative comments prove you have an 'axe to grind'.

Our biggest concern about this school is the principal. She has a my way or the highway approach to managing her staff, which prevents teachers from using there own creative approaches to teaching. If you have an AG student I strongly recommend looking elsewhere, on the other hand if you child has special needs or is a below grade level student this is a good school for them. There is more emphasis put on below grade level kids and there are numerous teachers and staff that specialize in helping those children. The parent involvement seems to be dwindling a little bit each year since we came here and there is a lot of tension between the administration and the staff.

I must agree with this school having poor leadership! My child dreads going to school because of his teacher lack of classroom management! The teacher lacks experience and is very mean to the minority children in her class. I feel that this school needs a new Principal that cares about all the children in her school regardless of creed or color!!!!

Last modified Yates Mill Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.