Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The administration at this school is horrible. They do not follow up, nor do they return calls. It takes sometimes several days to a couple of weeks to get a call back. The school splits the student by AIG and all other kids and only focuses on the AIG kids. If your kid is not in the AIG/GT program, do not send them to this school. They will be put in classes with problem kids that the teachers can't control and they do not care about the success of these kids! There is also a major bullying problem that the administration does nothing about. My child was listening to audio books in his Language Arts class instead of reading. Please do not send your kids to this school!

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

It takes an act of congress to get any of the leadership to contact you back. They do not return phones calls and it takes weeks to respond to emails.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The school says they have a zero tolerance for bullying but do nothing about it. There are so many problems because of the base population at this school that it is almost like the school doesn't have enough resources to handle it.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Please!! The school has so many troubled and problem kids there because of the base that all they care about is shuffling them through! The are suppose to have Moore Time where they focus on this, and it is literally just a 25 minute study hall. The students there are horrible bullies and the school does nothing about it!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The AIG teachers may be good, but if you kid is not in the AIG classes the teachers don't care. They can't control the classroom because there are so many problem kids in there. My child's Language Arts teacher had them listening to audio books instead of reading!!

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

If you kid is not in the AIG classes they don't even send home homework. My kid has maybe 3 math problems a week to do and has not have Language Arts homework all year.

Amount of homework: Agree

Overall, I have not been very impressed with the teachers at the school. My daughter should have learned to write an essay, no writing has been done, her math teachers have not been good (we supplement at home), her Chinese teacher is really nice but I doubt she will be prepared for Chinese 2 at the end of the year, overall, they are just "eh."

Develops character: Neutral

The children are now (since new principal) treated like they are in elementary school, so they are not given any freedoms or opportunities to grow and model good behavior, demonstrate compassion and empathy. They try to force it with their ROAR dollars instead of just letting kids get natural consequences and privileges for good and bad behaviors.

My daughter is now an 8th grader at MSM. We loved her 6th grade year when Dr. Bass was the principal. The school ran smoothly. After the new principal took over, we felt that the school got worse. There was a lot of teacher turnover, all of the great organization was gone and the feeling that we had selected a great school was no longer there. My daughter was now repeating electives, not getting in certain classes, scheduling seemed like a disaster, they did not know how to manage the AIG kids very well, and each year started treated the kids like they were in elementary school rather than rising high school students.

We have had a wonderful experience at Moore Square Middle School. We selected it for the small size. Our daughter started last year in the 6th grade. I loved that there were only 6 - 6th grade teachers. I felt I got to know all of them since there were so few of them. This year there are 6 7th grade teachers. Whenever I have had a question or concern, the teachers responded to my messages very quickly. Last year when I had a concern about my child's progress, I very easily set up a meeting where all her teachers were present. Teachers would email or call me directly if they had a concern. After school tutoring was provided every week if needed. I truly felt each teacher took a personal interest in my child. This year, in the 2nd week of school, I've already had great communication with my daughter's teachers. The Guidance Counselors are extremely helpful and supportive and the other administrators TRULY have an open door policy. The class sizes are small and my daughter has been able to benefit from great AIG instruction for those classes where she needed that stimulation. My daughter has participated in superb electives thus far. It was easy for her to get the electives of her choice because of the small school size. She learned so much in her Piano elective last year that this year, when we began private lessons, her current piano teacher was able to skip her ahead in the beginning books she is using. I also love the way the teachers use the downtown Raleigh neighborhood to enhance the curriculum through walking field trips to museums and other downtown attractions! While no school is perfect, if you're searching for an intimate middle school experience, you should really give Moore Square a look!

Last modified Moore Square Museum Magnet Mid is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.